Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving out to Utah the weather was crappy. It snowed or rained almost the whole way. It was tough to keep the pedal down and maintain the sense of urgency that it takes to plow down the highway at a speed that makes a 13 hour drive take only 11. Big savings I know, but when you’re drinking 4% beer you need the extra time.

Some pics of the Slickrock trail which I rode with Sphincter Boy, who stole the attention from me and the Stately Pleasure Bike by riding a crappy old Hard Rock. (loose BB, Loose hubs, side-pull brakes and bendy wheels). He took a bad line into a trough about half way through and bend the wheels pretty bad, and they required persuasive truing techniques.

Some pics of Porcupine Rim. I rode for part of the climb with some Rhode Islanders. The SPB got the respect it deserved as I paced and passed dudes on Coilers and such. One dude said, “that looks like an old bike.” I corrected him quickly.

The first time I really experienced the roll away of the big wheels. I was just shooting away from everyone, even the dudes on 5 inchers! The drops and rocks and babyheads: no problem. The roll up on the steps is pretty fabulous too. I was able to ride up higher steps than I ever thought possible. Between the big wheels and the perfect geometry I’m set.

Also some climbing pics: Indian Creek and Castleton Tower.

-M

Attachments

·
I like bikes
480 Posts
Nice

wolfy said:
Driving out to Utah the weather was crappy. It snowed or rained almost the whole way. It was tough to keep the pedal down and maintain the sense of urgency that it takes to plow down the highway at a speed that makes a 13 hour drive take only 11. Big savings I know, but when you're drinking 4% beer you need the extra time.

Some pics of the Slickrock trail which I rode with Sphincter Boy, who stole the attention from me and the Stately Pleasure Bike by riding a crappy old Hard Rock. (loose BB, Loose hubs, side-pull brakes and bendy wheels). He took a bad line into a trough about half way through and bend the wheels pretty bad, and they required persuasive truing techniques.

Some pics of Porcupine Rim. I rode for part of the climb with some Rhode Islanders. The SPB got the respect it deserved as I paced and passed dudes on Coilers and such. One dude said, "that looks like an old bike." I corrected him quickly.

The first time I really experienced the roll away of the big wheels. I was just shooting away from everyone, even the dudes on 5 inchers! The drops and rocks and babyheads: no problem. The roll up on the steps is pretty fabulous too. I was able to ride up higher steps than I ever thought possible. Between the big wheels and the perfect geometry I'm set.

Also some climbing pics: Indian Creek and Castleton Tower.

-M
Utah is great! Looks like you guys had a fun time :)

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
Cool. I've wondered what it must be like riding Slickrock on a 29er. Traction on Slickrock is already incredible on a 26er, then throw in the improved traction a 29er offers, and it seems you could climb straight up, almost!

·
Registered
410 Posts
tamjam said:
Cool. I've wondered what it must be like riding Slickrock on a 29er. Traction on Slickrock is already incredible on a 26er, then throw in the improved traction a 29er offers, and it seems you could climb straight up, almost!
Slickrock is so smooth and grippy that I didn't think the big wheels were much of an advantage outside of the deep sand in the bottoms. Traction was so good I missed my 22/34 26" granny gear for the first and only time - creeping up the steep rock would have been easier.

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Good to see some other climbers lurking about!

There's nothing like climbing cracks in the desert.

I spent the weekend out in Joshua Tree introducing some riding pals to the rocks...very good time.

Cheers.

B

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
wolfy said:
Where you from? Let me know if you're going up to Owens to climb and ride lower rock creek!

-M
I'm livin is Southern California so Owen's is roughly a 5 hour drive...nice!

Joshua tree is 2 hours and Tahquitz is about 1.5.

If you're ever interested in riding or climbing down this way let me know!

Where are you living? Oregon?

B

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reno!

But I grew up in bakersfield. Climbed up the Kern river canyon and east side crags.

I meet my dad for climbing in the owens not-quite-frequently enough. And I gave him my old MTB so I'll drag him down Rock creek one of these days.

I want to plan a White Mountain ride too this summer...

-M

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
wolfy said:
Reno!

But I grew up in bakersfield. Climbed up the Kern river canyon and east side crags.

I meet my dad for climbing in the owens not-quite-frequently enough. And I gave him my old MTB so I'll drag him down Rock creek one of these days.

I want to plan a White Mountain ride too this summer...

-M
Oh yeah...definitely let me know about the white mountain ride...that's been on my "tick" list for a while!

B

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.