Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hit The Road Cyclery
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this story is a bit OT, but it does have a vintage bike in it at least :p .

Today was a beautiful day, and since I've been distracted/lazy lately, I decided to go out for a road ride down the Coast Hwy and get some exercise. Felt surprisingly good, hammered a bit, and was having fun picking off Freds (they make great "rabbits" ;) ). At one point on my way back I could see a guy about 1/4 of mile ahead of me on what looked like a beach cruiser. "Easy target" I thought. About 5 minutes later I had gained about 10 feet on him. That seemed a bit odd, so I punched it to see what the deal was.

As I roll up behind him, I see that it's a guy who looks to be about 30 in street shorts, a t-shirt and flip-flops riding a rusty '60's vintage Schwinn cruiser with the original flat rubber pedals and a basket on the bars. I stayed back about 30 feet and paced him, and the guy kept zipping along at 20 mph into a 10mph headwind for the next few miles (this after I had been following him for quite a while before I caught up). Needless to say I was impressed. I eventually went around him and said "hi" as I passed, and said that he should get a track bike and head down to the velodrome (seriously).

I love it when I see stuff like that. Here I am on my $6000 Steelman/Record fancy road bike, and this guy on the 2-wheeled equivalent of Sanford and Son's pickup truck is making me work hard to catch him :p . Every once in awhile it's good to be reminded that the tool you use for the job is far less important than the hand holding it.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I wonder if it's the same guy...

I used to live in Oceanside and ride road on the coast highway all the time. In the late 80's early 90's there was a guy who would roar up and down the coast highway on his beach cruiser - cut off shorts, t-shirt, tennis shoes. I wonder if it's the same guy. He was wicked fast on that cruiser. He never came into the shop so we could never get a good look at his bike. His position on the bike was pretty good. He would kinda hang on the big ol wide bars on his forearms in a sort of aero position.

The game you played - chasing down riders ahead of you - is a fun game on the coast. Scott Tinley used to call it Gumby training.

·
Registered
779 Posts
i'm inspired to take an old cruiser out now and try to put the hurt on roadies. sounds like a fun past time ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
vdubbusrider said:
i'm inspired to take an old cruiser out now and try to put the hurt on roadies. sounds like a fun past time ;)
You're gonna hurt yourself.

·
Hit The Road Cyclery
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ssmike said:
He would kinda hang on the big ol wide bars on his forearms in a sort of aero position.

That might be the same guy, although he didn't really look old enough to have been riding seriously 15 years ago. Who knows though, people in So Cal tend to look younger than they really are.

·
Registered
779 Posts
maybe he's the super fast cruiser offspring of Mikes super fast cruiser guy. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts