Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
gnuH
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After great results with 2.3 2Bliss Eskars I thought I would give a pair of 2.2 The Captain S-Works tires a go on the 575.

While the Eskars seated just fine with a good dose of soapy water and a floor pump, I could not get the The Captains to seat and hold pressure with a floor pump, and I don't have easy access to a compressor. Even after pumping up with a tube in and leaving overnight, they still would not seat.

So as a last resort before heading out to compressorville I tried the following:

- applied lots of soapy water to the bead.
- from my stock of old tubes I put a tube in, pumped it up enough to seat the bead.
- let the air out slowly, and then popped the bead on one side for approx 4" either side of the valve.
- gently pulled out the valve and short length of tube and then cut the tube.
- pulled the tube out of the tire, being careful not to increase the length of unseated bead, or disturb the seated bead around the tire.
- screwed in the UST valve, re-seated the short length of bead and then pumped it straight up to 40PSI with the floor pump. Joy!
- I then carefully unseated a short length of bead (away from valve), added a scoop and a half of Stans and pumped it back up again.
- did the second tire using this method and it took less than 10mins from start to finish.

My apologies if this is old news.

As far as the The Captains go, they initially wept a few little dots of Stans out of the sidewalls, lost less than 1 PSI overnight, and lost no pressure or had any problems after a 3 hour rooty, rutty ride today. Grip seems good at 28 PSI front, and 30 PSI rear (I'm only 145lbs so I can ignore the min 35 PSI statement on the sidewall).

·
beautiful noise...
321 Posts
I've set up Eskars on three different UST wheelsets (Cane Creek Zonos, Bontrager Race-Lite, and Mavic 819) with my floor pump without a single issue. I've un-seated and re-seated them a few times as well to add more sealant (once again without issue). The "trick" (if there is such a thing) is to make sure both sides of the tires beads are in the center channel of the hoop when you start to inflate. A few sharp, fast blasts from the pump and then just pump normally. I've yet to have an issue. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
:rolleyes: I say if you need to waste a perfectly good tube to get a tyre up tubeless it isn't worth it :skep: I've seated every tyre using only a floor pump and if I come across one that doesn't well it'll go back into the cupboard for when someday maybe I need a tubed tyre :rolleyes:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just picked up a 5 gallon air tank at Harbor Freight tools on sale for $21.99. You can fill it up to 125 psi with your bike pump, and then use that to seat your beads in a jiffy.You can also use a 12v air pump(9.99) to fill it, so you don't have to pump your arms off filling the tank.. Pretty pmp, and even less expensive than some higher end bike pumps.

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
Haven't had any problems with UST tires seating on UST rims or using Stan's strips with a floor pump. Using non-UST or tubeless-ready (2Bliss) tires like those offered by Specialized, that is a different issue. Not worth it for me. I now stick with UST or DH tires.

·
gnuH
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
guyplaysbass said:
I've set up Eskars on three different UST wheelsets (Cane Creek Zonos, Bontrager Race-Lite, and Mavic 819) with my floor pump without a single issue. I've un-seated and re-seated them a few times as well to add more sealant (once again without issue). The "trick" (if there is such a thing) is to make sure both sides of the tires beads are in the center channel of the hoop when you start to inflate. A few sharp, fast blasts from the pump and then just pump normally. I've yet to have an issue. :thumbsup:
No problems for me with my Eskars - it was The Captains that gave me grief.

·
gnuH
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LyNx said:
:rolleyes: I say if you need to waste a perfectly good tube to get a tyre up tubeless it isn't worth it :skep: I've seated every tyre using only a floor pump and if I come across one that doesn't well it'll go back into the cupboard for when someday maybe I need a tubed tyre :rolleyes:
I agree - I would not waste a good tube also (if there is such a thing). Both were covered in patches, one was a 1.0 and destined for the bin anyway. Someone might need to use this easy method if they are struggling.

This is the first time with a bunch of different UST on my ST rims that I've had a problem. The link to the review section isn't working for me so I don't know if others have had the same issues with The Captain.

Note that this is also a quick and easy way to seat a UST tire with only a hand pump :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
LyNx said:
tough to initially inflate, but then nearly no more flats on the trails. that is the trade off. I made it 3 seasons between flat tires on the trail. Includes numerous XC races and thousands of miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.