Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a few weeks ago.

specs were Mavic Crosslands, WTB velociraptor tires with Avid BB7 Brakes, Shimano LX divetrain, alongs with other few goodies.

After Xmas I got a few goodies and upgrade the mechanical BB7 to Avid Juicy Carbon

since I sported shimano integrated LX Shifteres/levers, I needed some shifters. I wanted Sram for a while now, si this was the time and upgrade to Sram X.9 needless to say a new rear deraileur was in order, so decide for the X.9 too.

Sram is way smoother and precies than Shimano. X.O is too pricey IMHO. and they say there's not much diference, maybe like XT to XTR, a little weight here and there.
Also decide it was time to finally put some real UST Tires, I decide on the Maxxis UST Tubeless Cross Mark, they are nice and they behave like big volume tires, I use 32 PSI on the trail, being 90 Kgs I think is nice.

anyways, here's the final result on my Santa Cruz.

The only but right now is that the itching for the new '07 Superlight just kicked in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tacubaya said:
Nice :thumbsup:

Why did you change the BB7? Not enough power or was it a change you had in mind already?
The BB7 are as powerful as any hydraulic disc brakes, is a little upgrade I did have in mind a long time ago, I build this bike up from the ground up here's the first "official" pictures, it was a roller then.

At the time I wanted Hydraulics but the budget was thight and decided on other things were more important than Hydraulics, I have change a lot on the bike in the past year, I got this as a Xmas present from the wife as she always see me drooling over Juicy 7 disc brakes, it appears I was a good boy during 2006. but I stringly recommend BB7, I know a guy who has ones in mint condition if anyone is interested :D

311 Posts
Los BB7 Ruleeeeeeeeeez! :rockon: tienen mucho poder y su frenado es idéntico que algunos hidráulicos... yo los probé y ni loco vuelvo a unos hidráulicos... es mi humilde opinón.

Para Mi SC Chameleon voy a ponerles unos igual:thumbsup:

Los BB7 están coques...:yesnod: :winker: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Se ve supe bien la bici, tucky! :thumbsup:

Yo también acabo de cambiar los bb7s en una de mis bicis por LX hidráulicos... y aunque no tengo quejas tampoco del poder de los bb7s...me encanta como se sienten los hydros en la manilla.... en bb7 se puede reproducir con buenas manillas y cables, pero hay que mantener el sistema mas limpio para mantener el "feeling".

En fin.. felicitaciones por los upgrades!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crisillo, tienes razon la bronca de los BB7 es que para mantener ese "feeling" hay que tener limpio y lubricados los cables, hence mas mantenimiento, aunque no me convence lo de purgar los hidraulicos, me aseguran que no es tan seguido como para que te moleste, en cambio los cables pues si hay que darles mas seguido la limpieza.Fuera de eso los BB7 son casi hidraulicos, Avid tiene un sistema que no se comprime como las fundas convencionales que mucha gente dice que es lo maximo para llevar tus mecanicos al ultimo nivel. nunca lo cale.Gracias.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
tucky said:
Crisillo, tienes razon la bronca de los BB7 es que para mantener ese "feeling" hay que tener limpio y lubricados los cables, hence mas mantenimiento, aunque no me convence lo de purgar los hidraulicos, me aseguran que no es tan seguido como para que te moleste, en cambio los cables pues si hay que darles mas seguido la limpieza.Fuera de eso los BB7 son casi hidraulicos, Avid tiene un sistema que no se comprime como las fundas convencionales que mucha gente dice que es lo maximo para llevar tus mecanicos al ultimo nivel. nunca lo cale.Gracias.
Yo solo he necesitado purgar los frenos cuando he cortado las lineas en 2 años de uso (y eso por elección propia porque se puede hacer sin purgar) y además los Shimanos son super fáciles de purgar (yo uso una jeringa y los lleno desde el caliper... totalmente a prueba de tontos ;) )

EDIT: según he leido los avids se purgan bien también...pero si es necesario comprar el kit que vende Avid...

Yo conozco el sistema de cables de Avid, pero me parece un poco caro, en ese caso prefería cambiar cables y forros mas seguido... en fin... lo que queda claro es que los bb7s no tienen mucha desventaja (talves peso para los weightweenies), pero si hay que setearlos muy bien para que se sientan como hydros....

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Six letters for you... a bit late, though...

M A G U R A!!!!

Nice hydros. No need to bleed them any other weekend. Easy to work on them. Dead simple and reliable.

I was on Shimano 515 Mechs, Avids BBDB (now BB7) and Magura Julies.

The Avids are nice, but you need to fiddle with them each other ride and they can get pretty hot and lose power. But you have to get medieval with the brake to bake them.

The Julies are nice. Not as powerful as the Aivds, but far more modulable and consistant. Day in and day out.... they really shine on the wet where they brake you effectively without locking up. To get the same response off the BB7's you have to put the inward pad too far back in the caliper, which gives a nice feel and modulation but it gets you uneven wear and it can vibrate a lot.

Nice brakes anyway... very nice indeed.:thumbsup:

·
Maromero
1,605 Posts
tucky said:
Sram is way smoother and precies than Shimano. X.O is too pricey IMHO. and they say there's not much diference, maybe like XT to XTR, a little weight here and there.
The only but right now is that the itching for the new '07 Superlight just kicked in.
The bike is great as well as the upgrades, just one question, have you ever used XTR? cause smoother isn't the word I would use for SRAM, maybe crispier, but smoother would apply to XTR better than SRAM.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, I was refering to the LX, and the shifting sensation. I was hanging with the LX, and the reference I made about XT to XTR, is i used XT and the only real diference I can see on them is weight saving, even I dare to say I rather hace XT then XTR. XT are IMO more durable when it comes to harsh rides. yeah compare to XTR, Sram would crispier. the deraileur spring and the chain slapping on Shimano is a pain though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.