Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Needed a headlight and had experamented with an old el530 lens and a 120lum luxeon i had.
Was so impressed i decided to make 1 a bit more powerful so i ordered 3xP4 soldered them to a triple Led PCB and pop:D riveted it all to an old pc heatsink. Added a 1000 mA buckpuck,switch,made some leads from various old telephones (i work for BT) and a few old laptop batteries which i wired in series.(20+ volts for main light,17 for head lamp)
a 25deg lense that i didnt use from my main light build because believe it or not it was a bit spotty!
Altogether i have about 1400 lumens and it cost me about £80! (only because i got the batteries for free!)
Anyway if someone could tell me how to upload images i could show you the hideous duo!
Oh and i found if i put that silly looking shroud on the front of the main light and polished the alu i got alot of light around the front wheel so i get a nice even pool in front and up ahead,looks crap works great.
Tommo.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will try and do some tonight.
My camera is a Panasonic Lumix TZ5 if anyone can give me some manual settings (as i have not tried this type of Photo before) that would be really helpful.
Tommo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like the idea of the shroud on the bar lights. I've heard about it before and I will be trying one on mine when I get them finished. Are your bar lights self contained: IE Exposure style? It looks like you have enough room in the housing.
Good work:thumbsup:

BTW.... they are ugly.....but I like that in a light!:D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah i wish! i used this http://www.led-tech.de/en/High-Powe...3x-3.5W-Plug-und-Light-Kit-LT-984_121_80.html
so its all heatsink,also the buckpuck is in there with the switch and there is room for a dimmer if i can be bothered.
The outer skin is thin alu i found in a telephone exchange at work,and the end cap is off
an old BT torch i found.
Wish i knew how exposure got it all stuffed in there,they must have some very clever electronics in there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its getting bad now!
I cant walk past a bit of scrap metal without picking it up, and even pick up £1 torche's to see what the optics look like!
The good thing about that headlight is it weighs nothing so you can't feel it on your head.
Obviously low branches will be a problem but hopefully with all the light i should see them coming!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.