Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love going to the airport, taking my scanner and watching planes for a good hour or two. I've stopped taking my car and now I'm biking almost everywhere since I got my 2008 HardRock Sport the way I like it. I installed a comfortable Serfas seat, Ergon GC2 grips, a Third Eye mirror, waterbottle/cage and NiteRider MiNewt.X2 Dual LED's. I'm really pumped about it and I love leaving my Corolla just sitting there, I'll probably end up selling it now. I just wanted to pass it along and say I appreciate this forum and all of you great posters here.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Funny, Aviation is my thing too...I'm actually a mechanic.

My dad is looking to buy an aircraft, trying to conceive if I can take my bike in it, haha. He's going to teach me how to fly, and I'll maintain it. can't wait!!

Do you fly a lear?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
vwcalbug, how cool, are you an A&P? Is your Dad looking for something like a Mooney or a Bonanza or something in that league?

The name was selected because it's my favorite bizjet. I'm not a pilot but I spend more time at the airport than most. Pre-9/11 I used to go to the FBO's here and talk with the pilots and a ton of times I was actually invited on deadlegs and flew on a Gulfstream IISP, Lear 31 (2), 1966 Lear 24 (that has the giant one window on one side like the Lear 23 had), Lear 60, HS-125 Hawker (old turbojet model), KingAir C90, and (2) Lear 35A's and various other smaller aircraft. That was such a fun time in my life!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yea, I'm and A&P, my dads looking hard at the Grumman Tigers...lesser known, but great performance for the price.

Whats your line of work Learjet? I like those old lears as well, they supposively handle like fighter jets.

-Justin

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sean, thats an awesome ultra light. Do you own it?? That must be a rotax engine on there, what model is it?? If you ever have any mechanical issues, or questions, please feel free to ask, i have a lot of experience on rotax.

I have yet to fly in one, but the dry lake bed near where I live is very active, I just gotta go hang out and give it a try.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vwcalbug said:
Whats your line of work Learjet? I like those old lears as well, they supposively handle like fighter jets.

-Justin
I used to do Line Service at an FBO here at BUR however now I'm on SSI. I videotaped the flight and made a copy on DVD of my experience on the Lear 24 including a high-G turn and snap-roll back to wings level when we flew VNY-LAS. That plane is an absolute rocket, it's louder than thunder and like you said flies like a fighter (including even having no reverse thrust).

·
Registered
198 Posts
Another aviator here. USCG Aviation Maintenance Technician / Flight Mechanic. I don't have any good pics of the Demo 7 yet but heres a pic of me dropping the swimming during some training with the L.A. Police divers.

Thursday night in Hawaii, one of our HH-65C's just like this one, went down killing 3, and leaving one still missing. Having just transfered from there 3 months ago, I knew everyone of them. Its been a rough weekend for Coast Guard aviation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SlickShoe671 said:
Thursday night in Hawaii, one of our HH-65C's just like this one, went down killing 3, and leaving one still missing. Having just transfered from there 3 months ago, I knew everyone of them. Its been a rough weekend for Coast Guard aviation.
I'm so sorry to hear about this and the passing of your friends, I hadn't heard about this which is sad statement about local television news here in Los Angeles. I know the Dolphin's had a ton of safety issues when they were newer but it seems like it's been pretty reliable recently and then I read this. Good luck with everything and sorry again about your loss!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks...

Unofficially the cause wasn't mechanical. The Dolphins main problems in the past were from the old Lycoming engines which were all fazed out by 06. We now use a much better (in many ways) Turbomeca power plant.

·
Huh?
344 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about that. You work in a great service, and there is nothing to say but thank you.

As for all of you other pilots, damn, you guys have the life.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi chaps! I'm also infected by both biking and aviation!

I'm flying soaring planes. Unfortunataly the biking and the gliding are not realy compatible. Both requires a plenty of time and good weather, so in most cases i have to decide. Last summer I spent my free days at the airfield. This summer i preferred the biking.
Hard choice:madman:

It's me preparing for the take off.

·
Registered
163 Posts
sean newell said:
vwcalbug - yep a 912 - Airborne microlight - Australian

http://www.airborne.com.au/pages/home_n.cfm

Plus stumpjumper , enduro , bighit [ just to keep us on track with this being a Specialized forum]
I work on the 914 day in and out, like i said, let me know if you ever have any questions or need help.

That looks like a fun time!! Is yours the single seat? or tandem? You gotta figure out a way to strap the mountain bike on it, so you can fly up to the nice trails!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also love mountain bikes and aircraft. I'm a crew chief on the B-2. Its pretty nice. I work all the time so i don't have much time for biking but when i get time its a great escape.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts