Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I HUCK WITH CHUCK
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a killer deal on this '06 DHR. Bought it for $1000 straight from the factory with fresh paint, bearings, and hardware.

'06 DHR-granny smith green
'08 Boxxer race
DHX 5.0
Saint Brakes
x.9 drivetrain
gamut guide
truvativ cranks
I9 pewter DH/FR hubs/spokes w/ 823 rims
High Roller 3c tires
SIC stem
Gravity 28 in. bar

Planning on getting a flush reducer headset so I can run a Thomson stem and low crown without clearance/steerer tube issues.

The cleanest it will ever be:

Joins this guy...

The DHR has blown my sunday out of the water so far. I've got about 20 runs in and raced it once. It rides a little stiffer, but being higher up in the travel makes the bike feel faster than the sunday for sure; no more clipping pedals+cranks every run. The stiffer setup and different suspension design makes it ride a little harsher in the rocks but I set it up like that on purpose because I think it fits my riding style and holds its speed better over rough stuff. The DHR tracks a little differently than the sunday in corners, but only took me a couple runs to get used to. It jumps way more predictably and handles the rocks well. I'm looking forward to NOT replacing suspension parts/shock reducers all the time on this bike. The whole reason I got it is because of how much I love my 4x's handling and durability.

While I'd like an xc bike as well (flux or spot), 3 top end bikes is not in the cards for me, so with swapping pedals and seat/post on the 4x i'm fully ready to slay Pisgah in the same day as the slalom track. I'm resisting the temptation to get the 4x painted the same color...might be a little over the top.

No riding shots on the DHR yet but heres one of me racing slalom on the 4x at collegiate nationals in october. Note the new lace job on the front wheel.

·
I HUCK WITH CHUCK
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
greenchris said:
sick turner. miss seeing all your pic's over on RM. Man I wish we had dry trails in the midwest now- seems your trails are still shredable.
Always. I got three DH days in last week, but we have to pick our days in the winter. It gets pretty cold/wet here but in the mountains of NC you can never count out a 60 degree day in january or february.

My parent's house on the other hand, in upstate SC has trails that are easily rideable year-round.

I still post on RM, I just haven't been shooting as much these days. My name is Mulestar on there now.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
right on!
good mini review/comparison too, appreciate that.

Why the regular stem/flush headset? Is there issues with full stack headset, low crown and direct mount stem? That would get you low but keep the head angle.

·
I HUCK WITH CHUCK
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
airwreck said:
right on!
good mini review/comparison too, appreciate that.

Why the regular stem/flush headset? Is there issues with full stack headset, low crown and direct mount stem? That would get you low but keep the head angle.
a direct mount would do the trick lowering the bars but I'd rather not buy another stem. I have a Thomson I was running with a flat crown on my sunday but the Steerer was too short for the new headtube. I had the SIC stem on my slalom bike so I swapped it over but it was contacting the crown and making it sit funny so I had to add another spacer under that. If I got the flush headset I could just swap stems back, drop the bar a 1/2 inch or so, and have a cleaner looking stack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.