Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...of the new Niner Air 9 that I brought home. It got along reasonably well with the carbon road bike I brought home last year, but it's throwing fits and pouting since the Air 9 showed up.

I can't say I blame the 5-spot. It's been ignored for the past week or so and had to endure watching me go out with the Air 9 on several rides. I suspect the way I look at and fawn over the newcomer has not gone unnoticed either.

So the Niner is draped in Tang and sports a traditional geared Niner build, with a Reba SL fork, Race Face evolve cranks, SRAM X-9 derailleurs and trigger shifters, WTB speed disc wheelset, Juicy 7 brakes, WTB saddle, Race Face stem, and Niner flat bar. I have a WTB nanoraptor on the back and a Panaracer Rampage on the front. I did swap out the grips for a set of Ergons to help fight off the numb hands I sometimes get.

I was sorely tempted to try a singlespeed build, but my 3x history of knee surgery on my right knee held me back. Instead, I've occasionally simulated the single/rigid world by opting to lock out the fork and put the chain on the middle ring in the front and the 18 tooth cog in the back for a sense of what it might be like. I know, I know - it's not the same. But it's fun and it will have to suffice as a poor man's test for now.

I have managed about 50 miles in the past week on the new ride. I realize it's a new bike which naturally lends itself towards gushing and praise, but I have been very pleasantly surprised. I do feel faster and more efficient. I attribute some of that to the hard tail and some to the larger wheels. If the larger wheels are slower to accelerate, it's not by very much and I hardly notice it. I do find they roll over stuff easier/faster than the 5-spot and I do find it easier to keep my momentum/pace up. Interestingly, I had slightly expected to find the 29er less agile than my 5-spot. In fact, I feel more agile and more confident on the Air 9. Switchbacks seem easier and curvy singletrack seems to flow better, like it's easier to establish a great rhythm. I haven't measured the BB height, but I feel more confident rolling over larger obstacles without bashing the BB when compared to the 5-spot. The Air 9 / hardtail /29er mix gives me a predictability and confidence, a connectedness to the trail in a way that I don't feel on my 5-spot. I suspect that the Rampage up front helps in that regard as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 5-spot. I have a great history with my Turner, find that it can handle any of the terrain I've cared to tackle, and bring me home tired but not hurting despite long hours in the saddle. The Air 9 is different though, and I find it refreshing.

I am having to retrain myself and toughen up a bit due to the hardtail. It does beat on my bones a fair bit more than the plush suspension on the spot. I've also come to realize how much I appreciate a rear shock's ability to help maintain traction on steeper, slippery/sketchy climbs. With the hardtail, I find I have to pay much more attention to CG and weighting to maintain traction. It's possible some of that is the tire differences (Weirwolf on the spot, nanoraptor on the air9) but it feels more suspension oriented.

I'm likely to switch the aluminum flat bar for a carbon bar on the air 9 to see if it reduces the sting/fatigue in my hands,arms,shoulder and neck. I don't get much of that on the spot, but the spot has a carbon bar. The Fox fork and rear suspension probably help as well. I'm also likely to try a Thudbuster before too long to see if that will reduce my wear and tear a bit. My last ride didn't send me home nearly as sore as the first rides, so perhaps I'm adapting.

What's next? I'm likely to build a high end set of wheels. I'll probably have to formally apologize to the 5-spot soon, especially once it sets in that I'll be riding the Air 9 at Sea Otter next year. I guess I better keep them separated in the garage for a while. Pehaps I'll have to keep the 5-spot in a cage when I'm not present. I can't tolerate bike fights...

Best,

Steve

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
My Giant FS used to pout just the same way when I brought home the sleek green SIR 9.

Eventually, I had to let the Giant go to another home. I couldn't stand those pleading looks and little bounces of joy when I went into the workshop to get a bike to ride. I would walk past the Giant to the SIR 9 and take her out every day, while the poor little Giant was left gathering dust.

It got to me in the end, and I sold the Giant to a guy who promised to take good care of her.

It's sad, but .... that's life.

R.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
All mine play nicely together and get ridden equal amounts :) (FS, Roadie & Rigid commuter) but that's prob 'cause I haven't received my RIP9 yet and when I do I know the old, but faithful Trance will feel very left out. Take a trip somewhere really knarly where the Spot is in it's glee and you will have a re-kindled experience with it.

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
I also went from a FS to a 29er HT and my feeling on the 29er is similar to yours - especially the momentum and energy preservation. One weird thing - I get bob on the Mamasita and never got bob on my Yeti. I guess my pedal stroke has adapted to the work with the anti-bob phasing on an FS, but it doesn't work like that on a HT. As I ride the Mamasita more I get less bob - I'm curious to see what it's like when I go back to the Yeti.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
My spot has been hanging around in the garage since the Sultan showed up, except for a few comparo laps. At first, I was worried that its feelings were hurt, but last night it told me that it was enjoying a well-earned retirement and new role as spare/loaner/maybe-for-sale bike after 4 years of thrashing!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Hum.............

..........Ok I thought it was only me :???: :skep: When I first started riding a rigid on road I had a bounce in my stroke that I didn't feel on the FS. Now it's the opposite, now I have no bounce on the roadie and have it now instead on the FS :???: Anyone else experience this? :???:

Motivated said:
................One weird thing - I get bob on the Mamasita and never got bob on my Yeti. I guess my pedal stroke has adapted to the work with the anti-bob phasing on an FS, but it doesn't work like that on a HT. As I ride the Mamasita more I get less bob - I'm curious to see what it's like when I go back to the Yeti........

·
Registered
370 Posts
sminar said:
...of the new Niner Air 9 that I brought home. It got along reasonably well with the carbon road bike I brought home last year, but it's throwing fits and pouting since the Air 9 showed up.

I can't say I blame the 5-spot. It's been ignored for the past week or so and had to endure watching me go out with the Air 9 on several rides. I suspect the way I look at and fawn over the newcomer has not gone unnoticed either.

So the Niner is draped in Tang and sports a traditional geared Niner build, with a Reba SL fork, Race Face evolve cranks, SRAM X-9 derailleurs and trigger shifters, WTB speed disc wheelset, Juicy 7 brakes, WTB saddle, Race Face stem, and Niner flat bar. I have a WTB nanoraptor on the back and a Panaracer Rampage on the front. I did swap out the grips for a set of Ergons to help fight off the numb hands I sometimes get.

I was sorely tempted to try a singlespeed build, but my 3x history of knee surgery on my right knee held me back. Instead, I've occasionally simulated the single/rigid world by opting to lock out the fork and put the chain on the middle ring in the front and the 18 tooth cog in the back for a sense of what it might be like. I know, I know - it's not the same. But it's fun and it will have to suffice as a poor man's test for now.

I have managed about 50 miles in the past week on the new ride. I realize it's a new bike which naturally lends itself towards gushing and praise, but I have been very pleasantly surprised. I do feel faster and more efficient. I attribute some of that to the hard tail and some to the larger wheels. If the larger wheels are slower to accelerate, it's not by very much and I hardly notice it. I do find they roll over stuff easier/faster than the 5-spot and I do find it easier to keep my momentum/pace up. Interestingly, I had slightly expected to find the 29er less agile than my 5-spot. In fact, I feel more agile and more confident on the Air 9. Switchbacks seem easier and curvy singletrack seems to flow better, like it's easier to establish a great rhythm. I haven't measured the BB height, but I feel more confident rolling over larger obstacles without bashing the BB when compared to the 5-spot. The Air 9 / hardtail /29er mix gives me a predictability and confidence, a connectedness to the trail in a way that I don't feel on my 5-spot. I suspect that the Rampage up front helps in that regard as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 5-spot. I have a great history with my Turner, find that it can handle any of the terrain I've cared to tackle, and bring me home tired but not hurting despite long hours in the saddle. The Air 9 is different though, and I find it refreshing.

I am having to retrain myself and toughen up a bit due to the hardtail. It does beat on my bones a fair bit more than the plush suspension on the spot. I've also come to realize how much I appreciate a rear shock's ability to help maintain traction on steeper, slippery/sketchy climbs. With the hardtail, I find I have to pay much more attention to CG and weighting to maintain traction. It's possible some of that is the tire differences (Weirwolf on the spot, nanoraptor on the air9) but it feels more suspension oriented.

I'm likely to switch the aluminum flat bar for a carbon bar on the air 9 to see if it reduces the sting/fatigue in my hands,arms,shoulder and neck. I don't get much of that on the spot, but the spot has a carbon bar. The Fox fork and rear suspension probably help as well. I'm also likely to try a Thudbuster before too long to see if that will reduce my wear and tear a bit. My last ride didn't send me home nearly as sore as the first rides, so perhaps I'm adapting.

What's next? I'm likely to build a high end set of wheels. I'll probably have to formally apologize to the 5-spot soon, especially once it sets in that I'll be riding the Air 9 at Sea Otter next year. I guess I better keep them separated in the garage for a while. Pehaps I'll have to keep the 5-spot in a cage when I'm not present. I can't tolerate bike fights...

Best,

Steve
Post some pics! Love to see the bike.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Motivated said:
I also went from a FS to a 29er HT and my feeling on the 29er is similar to yours - especially the momentum and energy preservation. One weird thing - I get bob on the Mamasita and never got bob on my Yeti. I guess my pedal stroke has adapted to the work with the anti-bob phasing on an FS, but it doesn't work like that on a HT. As I ride the Mamasita more I get less bob - I'm curious to see what it's like when I go back to the Yeti.
Please................take out a classified ad.

Thanks,

R.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I also went from a 4" travel FS 26er to a front susp. steel hardtail 29er.
I haven't ridden the 26er since and probably never will.
I took some getting used to riding a hardtail after 10 years of riding FS exclusively but the transition is complete and I go down the trail as smoothly as before.
I too feel a connectedness to the trail that I never felt on a 26er.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Rainman said:
Please................take out a classified ad.

Thanks,

R.
Ironic, you made his ad appear twice by quoting it. And when he does remove his ad in edit mode, your quote of it will still be there. You smartie moderator you. ;)

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
holycromoly said:
Ironic, you made his ad appear twice by quoting it. And when he does remove his ad in edit mode, your quote of it will still be there. You smartie moderator you. ;)
Yes, but being a smartie moderator, he can remove it . . . .:D

·
Registered
201 Posts
sminar said:
I guess I better keep them separated in the garage for a while.
Don't do that! Snuggle them up nice and close and maybe they will make a baby.

Who knows, one day you might find a little JET9 in your garage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts