Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading all the threads here in the Ibex forum I was convinced to take advantage of the January sale. I just couldn't pass up the chance of getting a bike spec'd out like the Tropy Comp x7 was for only $700. I placed my order late Tues. night and my bike arrived today. That is great shipping. Some pics of the unpacking and assembly:

18inch Trophy

Packed nice and snug for shipping

Better look at the packing

Out of the box

Front end together

Full documentation, parts, even touch up paint!

Almost ready to ride

Nice shaped stays

It only took a little over half an hour to put everything together. I adjusted the front brake in the house and aired up the tires and set the fork air pressure and took the bike for a quick spin in the back alley. WOW! I am used to riding my Stumpy FSR and forgot how quick a hardtail accelerates. All the power straight to the rear. Lastly I had to adjust the front derailleur b/c the cable was really slack. I can't wait to ride on a trail. Hopefully tomorrow. I couldn't be happier with the Ibex experience so far.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Nice post

I hope you love the bike. Nothing touches that build for the money. Can't wait for the ride report. :thumbsup:

Bob

P.S. I'm going to copy this thread and merge it with the "What to expect when you buy an Ibex thread". It will be helpful for folks who are intimidated by the prospect of assembling a bike.

Bob

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it'll dull down when I finally get a chance to ride, which unfortunately won't be today or tomorrow. Grrrrrrrr.

I do have a Sram 990 cassette that was going to go on my stumpy but maybe I will swap out this cassette to the stumpy (which is in need of a new one) and put the 990 on the Ibex. Hmmmm.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Yeah, fix it

MrKalentine said:
It's a great bike and all... but its cassette is gunna blind you.

Ibex needs to fix that prob.
You're funny, you know that? :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Glad to see you received your X7... I'm still waiting for mine. :confused: I too ordered mine Tuesday around 3:30. They told me the bike will go out Wed. for sure and I would have it up here in NY maybe Friday but definitely Monday! Looking at the FedEx shipping chart I am right on the 2-3 day line going through NY. It didnt come Friday... it didnt come today... I checked the tracking and FedEx says I'm not getting it until Wed. now. I don't know why it takes a week for 2-3 day shipping but what more can I do. Like Call_me_Clyde said in another post... time definitely stops and starts going backwards when you are waiting.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Aaaacccckk!

psukydd said:
Glad to see you received your X7... I'm still waiting for mine. :confused: I too ordered mine Tuesday around 3:30. They told me the bike will go out Wed. for sure and I would have it up here in NY maybe Friday but definitely Monday! Looking at the FedEx shipping chart I am right on the 2-3 day line going through NY. It didnt come Friday... it didnt come today... I checked the tracking and FedEx says I'm not getting it until Wed. now. I don't know why it takes a week for 2-3 day shipping but what more can I do. Like Call_me_Clyde said in another post... time definitely stops and starts going backwards when you are waiting.
Jeezzz...What's up with FedEx? Are you in a remote area, or has there been snow that would have delayed the shipment? I think I'm in that same 3 day delivery zone (Philadelphia) as you. Hopefully I haven't taken Friday off from work for nothing.

Keep us posted on when you get the bike.

Bob

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry

psukydd said:
Sorry to hear that. If it is any consolation I haven't really got to ride yet, except for short spins in the neighborhood, no dirt time though. Sat and Sun I was busy assembling a new desk and watching the bowl. Today, well 10 degrees is a little chilly. Tomorrow I ride no matter the temp. I can't wait any longer.

Just a note, I recentered the calipers tonight after a quick spin (really quick), and they feel much better. Took 5 minutes. Something that you may want to check right away.

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
psukydd said:
ok thanks pspwesty.. i will check them out... yeah hopefully fedex will update the tracking here soon and i can have a better idea when its definitely getting here.
FWIW, my frameset showed up a day early according to my tracking #..
You might get the same surprise, ya never know..

Jake

PS. I';; keep my fingers crossed :thumbsup:

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
The reason for the delay

From the FedEx website:

FedEx Express National Service Disruption for Friday, February 2, 2007

The Memphis hub and flight operations experienced substantial disruptions last night due to severe winter weather and icing conditions. Consistent with the provisions of the FedEx Service Guide, the Money-Back Guarantee is suspended for U.S. domestic packages and shipments inbound into the U.S. from international locations with a delivery commitment of February 2, 2007.
For specific shipment status information, please track your shipment at fedex.com.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hmm, maybe thats the hold up then. I don't see a reason why something from Georgia would be going through Tennessee to come to NY but then again, I never was very good in geography! :)

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Supply chain logistics

psukydd said:
Hmm, maybe thats the hold up then. I don't see a reason why something from Georgia would be going through Tennessee to come to NY but then again, I never was very good in geography! :)
Supply chain logistics can be pretty bizzare. While the bike may not have gone through Tennessee, there could very well have been some sort of ripple effect. Could also just be FedEx incompetence.

Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
Updated tracking finally says its about 45 minutes away from me so tomorrow it is!!! I shouldnt have to worry about taking pictures of opening the box like I planned, it will look like everyone elses. Either way I'm excited.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ride Report

I braved the cold to fit in a birthday ride on the new bike yesterday. It was 18 degrees but I was tired of not riding. I am glad that I did. This bike is a ton of fun. I started with a short climb up paved road to the trail head and then hit the dirt. I was surprised that the fork didn't seem to bob at all climbing. I hit a short downhill double track section and got the first feel of the bikes responsiveness. At the bottom this was waiting

Yes it was a bit cold

I eased across some frozen puddles and up a short climb with some roots and rocks thown in for good measure. No problem for the Trophy. Onto the single track I rode. Snowy singletrack. Fun to ride on, but a shame in a way b/c I was afraid to really hit the corners, not knowing well how the bike handled. Still I got a feel that the bike was quick in transitioning from corner to corner and quite nimble. Another climb followed this time a stand on the pedals type. Again the fork surprised me with little bob. Much less than the fox on my FSR. At the top is this view looking over the lake.

After the climb a long descent follows. the Trophy handled it quite well considering the steeper geometry than what I am used to. By the bottom though my toes were getting cold. I don't have booties or winter shoes, so I double up on socks and put duct tape over the venting on my shoes, and I still felt the cold. The trail to finish the loop was closed, so I rode some road to a trail that follows the edge of the lake. There are a lot of roots here.

It will take some time to reacquaint to a hardtail. I am used to the rear just soaking up the bumps for me. I almost took a spill when I hit a small pipe used as a water bar and it kicked up the rear. Ooops. Overall I was happy with the ride. The bike is the best fitting hardtail I have owned (this is # 3), and that is pretty much out of the box. I haven't even adjusting the seat or the bars from where I first put them. I do think I may move one of the spacers from under the stem just to drop the bars a bit and still have to make the adjustments to the right seating position (raise it some and back a tad maybe) but that will take a longer ride to sort out. I am very happy with the fork, and the full sram drive train is great. I will drop the air pressure in the fork a bit, I have it at 150 and am about 165-170lbs with gear. The fork didn't bottom though, so I know I have some room to play with, and I would like just a bit more small bump absorption. I am looking forward to warmer temps and a lot more saddle time.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Excellent ride report

Glad you're liking the bike and that it's everything you expected.

Bob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.