Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
renaissance cyclist
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about my plans for my first 100-miler last week. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=532783 I've formulated, and begun to execute a training plan based on the advice I got. Any additional advice would be appreciated.

Monday- Street commute to work (Hilly 12 miles each way), 5-mile run
Tuesday- Street commute to work
Wednesday- 3-hour trail ride
Thursday- 3-mile interval run, Calisthenics and core exercises.
Friday- (quick ride up a local hill and down a technical descent, about an hour)
Saturday- Long ride on paved path (Increasing distance each week until 2-week taper. Yesterday: 80 miles)
Sunday- Active rest (possibly some calisthenics and core work)

Note: all riding on streets and the paved path is done on an early-90's fully rigid MTB with 2" commuter tires and CB Candy pedals.

My 100-mile race is August 23rd. The paved trail on which I do my long rides only hits fairly gentle rolling hills until the 40-mile mark, at which point it begins to climb up into the Rockies. This week I did 40 miles out and 40 back, any distance added to this will involve a lot climbing. Plan is to add five miles each week.

·
Registered
639 Posts
why are you running? not that it's bad, but if your training for a bike race, specificity is no joke, ride your bike! if you.... can train by time v. mileage.
Good luck

·
renaissance cyclist
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It’s a time issue; I’ve only got so much. Sometimes when the main objective is just to get the heart and lungs pumping, I find I can strap on some running shoes, step out my front door, run 5 miles and be done with the whole thing in less than a half-hour. I just don’t feel like I get much of a workout in the same amount of time on a bike. Also, my German Shepherd dog starts to eat the furniture if I don’t get him out for a run at least a few times a week. I spend 30-minutes on the 5-mile run, and 20-minutes on the interval run. Do you think such short bike rides would be beneficial? I have a decent sized hill near my house, I suppose I could sprint up it a few times in the same time slot, and I kind of need a new couch anyway.

·
Registered
371 Posts
debusama:
Where is your race? Where do you live? How old are you? How hard are you pushing yourself during your rides? What other mtb races have you done before?

Vance

·
renaissance cyclist
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the interest of not going on too long and making my post unreadable because of the length, I just added the link to my last post where I gave most of this info. Anyway, incase the link did work or something, here it is:

The race is the high Cascades 100 near Bend, Oregon. I’m 29, I live in Spokane, Washington, and I have participated in a 24-hour race as a part of a 5-person team.

I keep a good pace, but don’t push too hard on my commutes because I don’t want to be a sweating pile of mush when I get there. On my three-hour trail rides I push pretty hard (I am a sweaty pile of mush at the end of those), and on my long weekend ride, I push hard, but I’m still learning to pace myself so I don’t run out of gas with 20 miles to go.

·
Team Awesome
984 Posts
In laypersons terms - on a scale of 1-10 if you are doing 2 or maybe 3 rides a week that hit a 8-10 on the perceived Exertion scale, you are probably doing enough.

If this is your first enduro, and you just want to finish, I'd recommend focusing on your nutrition, as well. You will need 3-400 calories an hour, and some kind of electrolyte replacement, along with 50-75 oz of water an hour.

These are rough estimates, but not fueling took me down hard in my first 100 miler.

·
renaissance cyclist
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a standard set of fuel options at these races? I certainly don’t want to carry my own with me, and I want to take advantage of the options that my entry fee helped to pay for. Hammer nutrition is one of the race sponsors, so I imagine that they’ll have a selection of hammer stuff. I’d like to keep things simple, so I’m thinking about using that (HEED?) stuff that they make. It seems to have a combo of calories and electrolytes. I generally have a gut of iron, but I’d like to at least try something for a few rides that I know will be available at the race to make sure it isn’t going to make me start projectile vomiting or anything like that.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hammer's good stuff... but

debusama said:
Is there a standard set of fuel options at these races? I certainly don't want to carry my own with me, and I want to take advantage of the options that my entry fee helped to pay for. Hammer nutrition is one of the race sponsors, so I imagine that they'll have a selection of hammer stuff. I'd like to keep things simple, so I'm thinking about using that (HEED?) stuff that they make. It seems to have a combo of calories and electrolytes. I generally have a gut of iron, but I'd like to at least try something for a few rides that I know will be available at the race to make sure it isn't going to make me start projectile vomiting or anything like that.
be sure you try it out before hand. A 100 mile race is probably not the right place to find out you don't like it - at least if you want to get some semblance of enjoyment out of the race!

The $s you'll save by taking pot-luck vs. what you know works is pretty small!

Verslowrdr's advice about Hammer's info is good - I've found their information to be good, although recognize it as being self-serving. At least Perpetuum, Enduralytes and Hammer Gel seem to work for me...

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
chuckred said:
...I've found their information to be good, although recognize it as being self-serving. At least Perpetuum, Enduralytes and Hammer Gel seem to work for me...
That's just it- there's a ton of great info that's been time tested in there, but it's also marketing lit. I can accept that for what it is since we don't all live in one big commune and they make good products.

I've never felt a difference between Gu or Hammer gel, but I really appreciate being able to buy it in big bottles and use a flask instead of packets (which I reserve for emergencies these days). I find the flask in the outer pocket of a feed bag is easier to deal with- no ripping open package disasters, and no garbage to fiddle with after slurping down. Cheaper is good too.

Their new espresso flavored Perp is REALLY nummy believe it or not.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I see a couple things I would change...

1) you aren't riding on sunday
2) do intervals on tuesday

my schedule is roughly this:
m-f commute to/from work 8.5 miles each way
monday: commute - ride casually to work sub 180 watts for me
tuesday commute then intervals after work 8x4 10x3 or similar over my LT power
wednesday: commute plus another 30-60 minutes of endurance pace
thursday: commute at low end of endurance pace (can swap this day with wednesday
friday: commute at low end of endurance pace
saturday: 3-4 hour endurance pace ride mountain so you'll have high end endurance riding in there
sunday: same as sat

I ride 7 days a week 10-13 hours a week i take the day off after any long race (over 25 miles) otherwise the sunday after a race I ride but just take it easier than normal

·
renaissance cyclist
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I kind of like to have at least one rest day each week. I also don’t ride on Thursday, I’m thinking about replacing the interval run I do on that day with an Interval ride (sprinting up a nearby hill coasting back down, and sprinting back up again for about 45 minutes. My long Saturday rides, before which I take my rest day, generally last 6-8 hours. This puts me around 13-15 hours/week even with the rest day.

I picked up some Endurolytes capsules and a few single-serving packages of Perpetuem to use on my ride today. I didn’t have any problem with my stomach, but I also didn’t notice feeling any better than I did with my old routine of Bananas and Granola bars other than the fact that it is easier to take an occasional sip out of the bottle while on the fly as opposed to stopping to take a little snack brake halfway through. I’ll keep experimenting on my longer rides leading up to the race.

Also, I’ve Got 717 rims for which Mavic suggests a tire size of 1.5-2.1 (2.3 possible). I’ve noticed most endurance riders seem to use larger tires, but I’d rather not take a chance of rolling my tires off the rim. I did my first race on Kenda Karmas, which are great for speed on hard ground. After talking to some locals about the trails where my race will be, I’m expecting some sand, and a lot of sidewall-ripping volcanic rock. I’ve settled on IRC Serac XC 2.1(tubed) for front and back because if they work as advertised they should be good all around tires with reinforced sidewalls and pinch-flat protection allowing for slightly lower tire pressures. If there is any reason why they aren’t good for endurance racing, please do let me know

Thanks to all who have contributed, I’m feeling much better about this race.

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Like a few others mentioned, I don't think you are riding enough and should cut the running. The running will not help you and if anything hurts you some since you need to recover and could've been riding instead. I think about 1.5 hours is plenty of time to ride out your door if you use the time efficiently. Something like 15 minutes warmup and cooldown with an hour of various kinds of riding. Try an hour of tempo riding (faster than you'd ride your race) with a 10 second sprint every three minutes. Stuff like that, read around the net or use your imagination. an hour is pushing it, but even that can get you cranking. Two by twenties are popular but painful. warmup, do a few minute hard efforts to warm the legs up then bust @$$ for 20 minutes, go as hard as you possibly can without failing near the end of the 20 minutes. rest for a brief period and then ride another 20 minutes as hard as you can.

I ride 6 days a week with Monday being a rest day although I usually still commute VERY slowly to work which is on a flat path so pretty easy to manage. I'm not just trying to finish the race though so take the rest for what it's worth...

nearly all my riding is on a road bike with a power meter. Tuesday through Thursday are generally 2.5 to 3 hour rides varying in intensity and I also commute to work which is a 40 minute ride one way, but I generally take it very easy during the commute.

Friday I do a shorter and less intense ride usually 1.5 to 2 hours.

Saturday is the painful day, 4 to 6 hour non-stop riding as close as I can get to my threshold the entire time.

Sunday, a much less intense endurance ride half the duration of the previous day.

For nutrition, I just drink Heed, carbo-pro, or accelerade hydro (has a little protein) on all the rides besides the saturday which I supplement with clif shot blocks and electrolyte pills if its warm. I can't say I've been able to tell a difference between the drinks performance-wise.

·
Crosley623
154 Posts
I have noticed that running helps my biking very little. I also caught myself running for the same time constraint reasons. If you are only running to get your body moving you should try swimming. I know it involves a gym, but it is the best workout you can get in the timeframe.

·
renaissance cyclist
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
crosley623 said:
I have noticed that running helps my biking very little. I also caught myself running for the same time constraint reasons. If you are only running to get your body moving you should try swimming. I know it involves a gym, but it is the best workout you can get in the timeframe.
Yeah, I've stopped the running. I live at the top of a not real long, but quite steep hill (about a 300 foot climb), so when I need a quick workout I've been riding up and down it as many times as I can in the time I have.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
verslowrdr said:
...Their new espresso flavored Perp is REALLY nummy believe it or not.
Agreed, mixed up thick as a 3-4 hr bottle and it tastes like a chocolate milk.
My summary on the Hammer Nutrition info/marketing:
less than 2 hrs -- HEED and/or gel
longer than 2 hrs -- Perpetuem or Sustained Energy, plus something else to provide some electrolytes (HEED, gel, Enduralytes). This year I'm trying water in Camelbak, 4 hr bottles of Perpetuem, Enduralyte caps, and some flasks of gel to mix it up.

For me, Hammer's dosage on the Perpetuem is a bit too much and results in blow-out-your-shorts gas. I go with about half their recommendations for my weight (~185 lbs) and go with 1 scoop/hr plus maybe one more scoop to top it off. Their recommendations would have me at 2 scoops/hr == major gas. Like everyone mentions, you've got to experiment with this stuff to get it to work right for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts