Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Same old DAWG
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a nite ride. Maybe mid forties out. Only part of my body uncomfortable is my tootsies!! :eek: How do y'all keep your toes warm? :confused:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
in cold weather i'll wear thin bike socks with medium weight wool socks over them. if your toes are crammed in your shoes they will get cold no matter what, make sure you can move you toes!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Ha ha, I'm somewhat of an expert in cold weather riding but don't like to go out if it's colder than -15C.
Put duct tape on the mesh parts of your shoes to keep the wind out or use booties. The thin styrofoam used to package meat works good as a shoe liner(dogs like it too) Don't wear Cotton socks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Performance booties

First ride with them tonight in 28 degree weather. Didn't notice my feet all ride, so I liken them to referees...if you don't notice them, they're doing a good job. $15 on sale. Order a full size larger than your shoe size. Recommended! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
117 Posts
does anyone have a recomindation for MTB shoe booties? i can't sceem to find any that will alow the lugs to not be covered.
I think pearl isum wind cover will work, but i was worried that they might not let my feet breath at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hit up performance. I picked up some water/windproof socks for 19 bucks and some wool bike socks for 10. I've been riding around in this colorado weather and my feet are fine.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Gator neoprene booties!

Here is the URL: http://www.gator-sports.com/gator.swf

You will have to look through the site. Direct links to the product do not work. I bought mine online from pricepoint.com.

Toasty tootsies! :thumbsup:

I also have their cap that fits under a helmet.

·
What day are we riding?
1,088 Posts
Get some winter shoes.

I got so sick of booties, extra socks, duct tape and other crap. Now my feet are nice and toastie with my regular bike socks...

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Short of making the move to Lake winters, duct tape the vents and get some chemical warmers. The warmers rock.

..and stay awary from cotton socks. Wool.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Another vote for neoprene booties. Much cheaper than buying a set of winter shoes(I'm a cheapskate) and they work great. Cutting holes in the soles for your cleats is a bit of a pain, but only have to do it once.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Booties help, you can also find neoprene "socks" at about any sporting goods store for about $10 and cut a hole in them for your cleats. Another thing I've seen done is use a heavy wool sock and cut a hole in the bottom and put it over your cycling shoe. The dedicated winter cycling shoes help as well, esp. if you get them a half size larger and wear a heavy sock in them.

The chemical warmers don't work for me, they are almost too hot for about an hour then they are done and my feet freeze. I think the sweat messes with them. One thing I can say the more you freeze your feet after awhile the faster and easier they get cold. I've had my feet really cold many times winter biking over the years and as of late I don't even think about biking in the winter anymore. Even with flats and hiking boots my feet get cold, not just my toes but even the heel of my foot. I don't see myself doing much snow biking until I decide to drop a couple hundred on rechargeable heated insoles.

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
I ride with half steps or toe clips and after putting on my favourite wool socks slip on my comfortable, warm, waterproof, winter hikers that are rated for -25C on their own. There's enough room for two pairs of light wool socks if the conditions really get nasty and I carry a spare pair of socks in my paniers.

The rest of my winter riding gear is good to get me through -40 C weather and I expect that my feet will remain toasty as keeping them dry is half the battle and I have that battle won.

Good wool socks are the bomb for cold weather.

·
dirty trail dog
601 Posts
If it's just mid-40's and if you rarely get out when it's below freezing, then save some money and just get some good wool socks and Pearl Izumi CalienToes (http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=16563&item=10-3465&slitrk=search&slisearch=true)

They'll keep your toes plenty warm in those temps. No need to go overboard and roast your feet. For Georgia winters, Calientoes work fine. I used them all last winter around North Georgia, and never had any problems at all.

If you plan on snow-riding or going out when it's well below freezing, then yeah, get some Gators or chemical warmers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use a Black Diamond product called VBL (vapor barrier liner). It's a climber (mountain) marketed product made of a thin almost tent fly material, cut to the shape of a sock, meant to be worn as a liner. It is water/wind proof both ways so it makes it's own little microclimate in your shoes. I usually wear heavier synthetic socks under the VBL and so far I haven't had the frozen toesies.

·
Registered
18,791 Posts
jdoodled said:
I use a Black Diamond product called VBL (vapor barrier liner). It's a climber (mountain) marketed product made of a thin almost tent fly material, cut to the shape of a sock, meant to be worn as a liner. It is water/wind proof both ways so it makes it's own little microclimate in your shoes. I usually wear heavier synthetic socks under the VBL and so far I haven't had the frozen toesies.
Vapor barrier...liner...like a Wonder Bread bag!?!?

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Nat said:
Vapor barrier...liner...like a Wonder Bread bag!?!?
LMAO!
We were using the veggie bags from the grocery stores for VBL back in the early 70's when I was doing alot of ski mountaineering. We placed a bag on your foot, a thin wool sock, another bag, and a thick wool sock.

I have been on the Tetons at 10,000 feet in -50F degrees, on 30 minute belays and my toes were very comfortable. Hands were much tougher to keep warm.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.