Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are the pictures of my Titus X. Other than being unable to run a 34T rear cog with an XO derailleur, no 2x9 :-( , I have been very happy with the performance. I thought I should take a pic with the bike clean (rare). I do race some XC, but my main focus will be on marathon, 12 hours and stage races and lacking a spare bike and mechanic I went for reliable rather than ultralight.

The specs

Frame: Titus X small
Fork: Fox F100RLC
Headset: King
Wheels: DT 240 hub, ZTR 355 rims with Sapim CX Ray spokes, alloy nipples
Tires: Maxxis Monorail 2.1 Standard mounted tubeless with Stans
Derailleurs: Rear XO, Front XT
Shifters: XO trigger
Brakes: Avid Juicy Ultimate with matchmaker shifter mounts
Cranks: Truvativ Noir 170mm with Crankskins covers
Pedals: Eggbeater SL with aftermarket short Ti spindles
Cassette: SRAM PG990 11-32
Seatpost/Stem: Thomson Elite/X4 100mm 0 degree
Seat: Selle Italia SLR XC
Handlebar: Syntace Duraflite Carbon OS 620mm, 9 degree sweep
Misc: Niterider Rebel 8.0 computer, X-Lab Chimp carbon cage, Cannondale Morse grips

Weight: 23.1lb complete

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
What, you mean cross chained?

Flying Wombat said:
You can search for my thread on the subject, but basically due to the angle of the dropouts plus hanger the inner cage hangs up on the 34T when in the big chainring.

Kevin
IIRC, you're not supposed to run big/big anyway, especially on FS bikes. I dunno about you, but in the few cases where I actually left enough chain to allow big/big, it ran like forks in the garbage disposal. It was not a happy mechanism. Setting up shimano drivetrain by the book won't allow big/big.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Beautiful build. One of the best X's I have seen so far. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pimpbot said:
IIRC, you're not supposed to run big/big anyway, especially on FS bikes. I dunno about you, but in the few cases where I actually left enough chain to allow big/big, it ran like forks in the garbage disposal. It was not a happy mechanism. Setting up shimano drivetrain by the book won't allow big/big.
?
Do you XC race? Its not good for the drivetrain, but sometimes you end up in the big/big when jamming over a short rise. I race Pro and most times if you arent in the big ring you are off the back.
The idea behind 2x9 (or 2x10) is to run the big ring in the middle ring position for a better chainline so you have full use of the cassette.

Kevin

·
K n e e m o i
506 Posts
I have the same. I noticed that the frame is not exactly ano silver.... It's like polished aluminum with a clearcoat on top.... Can't beat a sub 5lb frame weight.

Either way, I see it as an upgrade and I like it.

Make sure you tape the drive side seatstay, or it will eat away your carbon stays. I learned that from my Racerx, and I taped the X from lessons learned.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,298 Posts
Flying Wombat said:
?
Do you XC race? Its not good for the drivetrain, but sometimes you end up in the big/big when jamming over a short rise. I race Pro and most times if you arent in the big ring you are off the back.
The idea behind 2x9 (or 2x10) is to run the big ring in the middle ring position for a better chainline so you have full use of the cassette.

Kevin
Pros don't need 34T cogs, that's for fat weekend warriors like me. Nice bike.

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
zorg said:
Pros don't need 34T cogs, that's for fat weekend warriors like me. Nice bike.
Not for XC races, but in some marathon races it can come in handy if you are ditching the granny up front and running a 29-42 front for an old, slow decrepit pro like me. I remember at the Durango 100 a couple of years ago being glad of the 34 with a 29-42 front when climbing the ski slope out of Purgatory in the mud.

Kevin

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
Flying Wombat said:
?

Kevin
Your statement is faulty. A 44T gives you like 3 more gears, less if you run a 36. Do the math before barking back at me (like you did to the other guy).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts