Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i havent had too much experience with tubeless but i run a set of maxxis larsens on mavic 3.1's
the bike hasnt been ridden all winter so today was pumping some air into tires...
after about 3 minutes (luckily i was away from the tire), it just burst off the rim very explosively with a very loud pop

i was dying to get out so i stick a tube in there and pumped it up again...3 minutes later (luckily again, i was away from the bike) the tire blew off explosively again.

is this just a result of letting my wheels sit dormant for too long?
any way of salvaging this tire? I've got no more than 100 miles on them.
or does this render the tire completely useless?
and also - maybe not a bad idea to change the back tire (same tire, same age) as well to avoid this potential situation?

thanks all

·
Registered
734 Posts
cma762 said:
i havent had too much experience with tubeless but i run a set of maxxis larsens on mavic 3.1's
the bike hasnt been ridden all winter so today was pumping some air into tires...
after about 3 minutes (luckily i was away from the tire), it just burst off the rim very explosively with a very loud pop

i was dying to get out so i stick a tube in there and pumped it up again...3 minutes later (luckily again, i was away from the bike) the tire blew off explosively again.

is this just a result of letting my wheels sit dormant for too long?
any way of salvaging this tire? I've got no more than 100 miles on them.
or does this render the tire completely useless?
and also - maybe not a bad idea to change the back tire (same tire, same age) as well to avoid this potential situation?

thanks all
Are you talking UST or a tubeless conversion? It is not unheard of (somewhat common?) for converted (tube type) tires to blow off the rim if used tubeless (the forum is full of stories) The beads are simply not designed to withstand the additional stress. If you use a tire in a manor it was not designed for, expect the chance of catastrophic failure to increase exponentially. (it would be not unlike mounting a bicycle tire and rim on a motocross bike and wondering why it failed so quickly)

On the other hand if it is a UST (tubeless) tire it is very unusual (almost unheard of) and likely indicated a defective tire. In any case a tire is nearly always ruined (bead compromised) after it blows off once (as Shiggy said) Putting it back on is likely useless and dangerous (doubtful, even if held air, that it would be trustworthy to ride on) return it to the manufacturer, they should warranty it if it was used within normal parameters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.