Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had this problems looking for racks, and knowing that this happens to loads of people, i thought I'd share my experience, with lots of pictures. I'm not throwing out roof racks, I just think that if I'd seen more pictures of the T2 it would have helped my decision, so i'm sorta giving back i guess.

Below is the rack on my Toyota Matrix XRS. It has a Hidden Hitch that I attached myself and took me about 15 mins. The total tongue weight for the car is rated at 150lbs and it presents no problems for me (beware small car owners). The window opens with the bikes upright, and the hatch when its bent down. the fact that the T2 can be tilted is probably what sold me over any competitors (and price, read: Saris). It wobbles a bit but mostly because you're attaching at the wheel. I have the snug tight lock on it and you can really wrench down on it an eliminate side to side swaying but there is a little bit of play in the the up and down.

All my bikes are XL sized (ie long long wheelbase) and there's still a bit of room on rack.

I bought the rack off ORSracks, with the promotional code EXTRA10.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Nice pics and thanks for sharing the diff lean angles.

Everyone know how easy these are to use. I have similar one- Sportworks T2- before they sold the manufacturing rights to Thule. Another cool thing is that they fold up REALLY close to the car. I have a Subaru Forester and a tiny garage and I make it in with it folded up and still have 6-8 inches to spare. With my Thule Expressway, I couldn't do it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
my only complaint with my t2 is it is starting to rust. I removed the end caps to look inside and the tubes were solid rust and the outside is starting to rust a little. Its been on my truck since late may and i dont remove it. I guess i should but theres no way im taking a 3" hitch wrack on and off everyday due to rain.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
That's not good. It means their paint process isn't working. Either they are not priming it or not painting it properly. I will have to check mine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
please post pics of rust

zr8tdk said:
my only complaint with my t2 is it is starting to rust. I removed the end caps to look inside and the tubes were solid rust and the outside is starting to rust a little. Its been on my truck since late may and i dont remove it. I guess i should but theres no way im taking a 3" hitch wrack on and off everyday due to rain.
could you please post pics of the rust
thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
i will try but its inside th etubes so not sure how good th epics would be. I will check it out tonight because i am taking it off befor ei go to the beach.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Nice rack. I've always liked the idea of racks that clamp just by the wheels. But what happens if the tyre deflates (slow puncture you didn't notice or a failed valve). Will it still hold the wheel? Anyone had a problem with this kind of thing? Perhaps someone could test it out i.e clamp the wheel up and then deflate the tyre and see how stable it still is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts