Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick little review on the Thudbuster currently posted on my 06 Paragon. This item is at the top of my list this year for new bike things! It's really not a geek thing, but works very well. I talked with Thudbuster and they told me exactly how to set one up. .25" closer to the handlebar and .25 higher on the saddle. That should set it up for proper sag, worked for me and worked for my wife's Stumpjumper. I weigh 180 lbs and I have installed 2 blue bumpers adjusted the sag a little and it seems to ride real nice there for me. I have ridden several FS bikes in the 26er days and this rides every bit as nice as a Titus Racer X 26er. I can climb all fireroads seated and a lot of single track, for desending I sometimes end up grabbing the saddle between my legs and end up using it that way too! I am very happy with this and don't have to worry about the extra weight of FS, the pedal bobbing or worrying about the rear shock. I just set it up and have left it. Keep your hardtail, dial up your favorite bike part source (got mine for $99!) put a Thudbuster on and forget about that new FS you wanted. With a 29er and a Thudbuster you now have all you need! Any questions shoot!
 

·
Reviewer/Tester
Joined
·
6,176 Posts
Thuddy's work really well on HT's, and definitely save your spine from some of the harshness of the trails.


R.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,040 Posts
This thread is screaming for a response from Padre.

I've got an extra 27.2mm Thud...;)

(yes, I'll be buying an ad)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,764 Posts
I put a Thudbuster on my hardtail years ago and liked it. I also had a carbon post that I would put on from time to time, especially after the Thudbuster started squeeking incessantly. I might have to give it another shot. The pivots also loosened up quite a bit over time. I sent it back once and Cane Creek refurbished it for free. I think they just gave me a new post. I would recommend getting the crudbuster cover for it to keep the pivots clean. I think they have improved the design from when i bought mine. There are only two downsides that I can think of 1) If you sit down over a big bump it will shoot you out of the saddle, 2) It doesn't really help keep your rear wheel planted on standing climbs like a true full suspension bike does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,040 Posts
kdiddy said:
There are only two downsides that I can think of 1) If you sit down over a big bump it will shoot you out of the saddle, 2) It doesn't really help keep your rear wheel planted on standing climbs like a true full suspension bike does.
Those aren't downsides, just realities. They're designed to keep you in the saddle longer over smaller, high frequency hits that become fatiguing on a true HT with rigid post - roots, braking bumps, etc.

Not sure what your definition of big is, but I certainly don't sit down over big bumps on a FS bike regardless of travel or rebound settings. Further, I've never seen any claim that said a Turdbuster added traction on standing climbs. It's purely a comfort thing that can yield a higher quality ride in terms of extended riding pleasure (that's right, I said it).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,237 Posts
Peer Pressure

Soupboy said:
This thread is screaming for a response from Padre.

I've got an extra 27.2mm Thud...;)

(yes, I'll be buying an ad)
This thread is screaming for a response from Padre

Ignore it.:nono: Remember his Avid mechanical crusade?:p
 

·
No Reputation!
Joined
·
1,728 Posts
I dig mine too

Just think of all of those hits your back would take....just sucked up by the post, it's great!

But I know what you mean, the compression then "Weeeeee!" up we go. Happened on my dually too. Feels just like the Klein Palomino but lighter, simpler, and dare I say cooler!

Well, OK, everybody knows how cool the Maverick design is, it's super great, awesome, the best. Check out any magazine, it's all over.

Almost as good as the thudbuster.
 

·
Recovering couch patato
Joined
·
14,017 Posts
My Thud isn't getting much mileage, however I've rarely been as impressed by the effects of a $100 product before.
On a regularly muddy and thus big washboard like trail, I found that I go stay seated real easily. Heck, I could stay seated, period. Normally I'm lifiting myself out of the seat for every little hump or bump, but the Thud totally changes the ride experience.
While for a seatpost it's a high-end item, it's barely more expensive that a good "normal post (Thomson), and just 300-400g or so heavier. An FS frame adds around $500+ and 1000g. And when standing up on the HT+Thud, it's still a hardtail, great!

I do wish Thuds came with less setback, me and a friend are both forced to slam our seats all the way forward on Thuds.
Next time I do a marathon type race I'll have to mount the Thud to see what effect it has on my usual fatigue in the second half. I usually fatigue more than riders around me, Thud might help me with that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,237 Posts
Setback

Cloxxki said:
My Thud isn't getting much mileage, however I've rarely been as impressed by the effects of a $100 product before.
On a regularly muddy and thus big washboard like trail, I found that I go stay seated real easily. Heck, I could stay seated, period. Normally I'm lifiting myself out of the seat for every little hump or bump, but the Thud totally changes the ride experience.
While for a seatpost it's a high-end item, it's barely more expensive that a good "normal post (Thomson), and just 300-400g or so heavier. An FS frame adds around $500+ and 1000g. And when standing up on the HT+Thud, it's still a hardtail, great!

I do wish Thuds came with less setback, me and a friend are both forced to slam our seats all the way forward on Thuds.
Next time I do a marathon type race I'll have to mount the Thud to see what effect it has on my usual fatigue in the second half. I usually fatigue more than riders around me, Thud might help me with that.
I do wish Thuds came with less setback, me and a friend are both forced to slam our seats all the way forward on Thuds.

This is a really good point. I am in the process of getting a new frame and will go with a slightly shorter TT to comensate for the Thud.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Soupboy said:
Those aren't downsides, just realities. They're designed to keep you in the saddle longer over smaller, high frequency hits that become fatiguing on a true HT with rigid post - roots, braking bumps, etc.

Not sure what your definition of big is, but I certainly don't sit down over big bumps on a FS bike regardless of travel or rebound settings. Further, I've never seen any claim that said a Turdbuster added traction on standing climbs. It's purely a comfort thing that can yield a higher quality ride in terms of extended riding pleasure (that's right, I said it).
thuds....the evil twin "crutch" to the gravity dropper out in AM land. i shouldn't talk as my latest bike has a softail (another quetionable invention) but still.....
 

·
Recovering couch patato
Joined
·
14,017 Posts
DeeZee said:
I do wish Thuds came with less setback, me and a friend are both forced to slam our seats all the way forward on Thuds.

This is a really good point. I am in the process of getting a new frame and will go with a slightly shorter TT to comensate for the Thud.
You probably know this, but your shorter top tube is worth nothing without a steeper seat angle.
I think if you add 1º STA, you can drop ~1/2" of toptube, and the position on the bike won't be any different, but the seat further back on the Thud.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Even better

This is the G-Shok. In my book it is twice as good as the Thud. The linear steel spring takes almost all the kick-back out. Of course there can be some bouncing, but not nearly as much as with the Thud. It is also much smoother over the bumps. Where the Thud takes the, well, thud out the G-Shok makes it go away. I'm now addicted to the G-Shok, but when I bought my first unit I had a Thud. I made direct comparisons on a rooty trail. The difference was substantial :thumbsup: . I never had issues with bob from either the G-Shok or the Thud, but both feel very bouncy when you first try them.

Pros:
Much softer, flying carpet feel
Little or no kick-back
Feels like endless travel
Great customer service from two man operation

Cons:
Quality issues, things keep coming apart
Even heavier than the Thud at 650 g
Only comes in 25 mm diameter
Expensive
(for americans) ships from Norway

https://www.gshok.net

 

·
No Reputation!
Joined
·
1,728 Posts
Looks good

That thing looks great. We need somebody to make some trick "oclv" type carbon sussy post like that, get the weight down to 350 grams or whatever. They are both really heavy.....for seatposts anyway

edicviz said:
This is the G-Shok. In my book it is twice as good as the Thud. The linear steel spring takes almost all the kick-back out. Of course there can be some bouncing, but not nearly as much as with the Thud. It is also much smoother over the bumps. Where the Thud takes the, well, thud out the G-Shok makes it go away. I'm now addicted to the G-Shok, but when I bought my first unit I had a Thud. I made direct comparisons on a rooty trail. The difference was substantial :thumbsup: . I never had issues with bob from either the G-Shok or the Thud, but both feel very bouncy when you first try them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Fastskiguy said:
That thing looks great. We need somebody to make some trick "oclv" type carbon sussy post like that, get the weight down to 350 grams or whatever. They are both really heavy.....for seatposts anyway
QUOTE]

I agree, but honestly I have stopped worrying about that. On any course that isn't very smooth I'm faster with the G-Shok. The longer the race, the more difference it makes for back fatigue. If you ride non-smooth trails and try a G-Shok you won't go back.

I have a VERY scientific friend who is (like me) preparing for a 24h race in three weeks time. He did a test a while ago. On his training circuit, which he has 1000+ laps on, he did three laps on his two different singlespeed bikes the same day. Same gearing, same percieved effort, same average pulse (he can choose his lap times within seconds and pulse within beats on that circuit).

One bike was his 8,5 kg ti rigid.
The other was his 11,5 kg 24h bike, steel, G-Shok, Fox F100X (yes 26")

He was about half a minute faster per approx 12 min lap with the heavier bike. Neither he or I want to draw any strong conclusions, there are many factors, but still there you are.

That guy is about to go big wheels btw, that will give us some interesting observations.
 

·
MTB Rider
Joined
·
3,007 Posts
Two way compensator ...

DeeZee said:
I do wish Thuds came with less setback, me and a friend are both forced to slam our seats all the way forward on Thuds.

This is a really good point. I am in the process of getting a new frame and will go with a slightly shorter TT to comensate for the Thud.
Actually, I think it would be nice to have a "setback adapter" that could either move the seat forward or back while keeping the saddle rails clamped relatively center.

BTW, I love my thud. I'm in the process of converting to a 29er. The new Karate Monkey frame has a smaller seat tube than my Giant Yukon. A Thudbuster on the Karate Monkey was at the top of my list. I need it ... thats all there is to it. I just wish the new one came with the two purple elastomers I need.

I've got an OLD, OLD Giant bicycle that the old 30.9 Thudbuster will be going onto.
 

·
Recovering couch patato
Joined
·
14,017 Posts
M2Racer made that, with QR. Mine broke. The QR does give you great insight in how saddle setback affect pedaling technique and cadence. Even if tech weenies disagree, with the seat forward you reach much higher RPM's and higher time trial speeds, and with the seat back you have more power in low RPM's.
 

·
45 gone, 15 to go
Joined
·
1,237 Posts
My thud has less than 100 miles on it and it creaks pretty bad. It hasn't even gotten dirty since it has been so dry here lately. Anyone got any good tricks for the creaks? Other than that the Thud kicks butt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,237 Posts
No Idea

Law said:
My thud has less than 100 miles on it and it creaks pretty bad. It hasn't even gotten dirty since it has been so dry here lately. Anyone got any good tricks for the creaks? Other than that the Thud kicks butt.
I have had mine for two years and it is silent. :confused: Zero maintenance.

Are you sure it is not the post / frame making the noise:confused:

Keep us posted.........
 

·
mtbr member
Joined
·
454 Posts
...and yet another solution: below is my USE Shokpost SX, which I have used for a year. It helps me save my legs, and works fine. Only issue is the too small rebound damping. 440 g for 27.2/365 mm version. I like my pedal cleats extremely far back on the shoes, and would rather need a "setforward" than a setback post. But not an issue with this one.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top