Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I very well may be wrong but it appears as though the industry is cannibalizing itself with all these new standards. I think it might be different if old standards were still being supported, in addition to the new tech being released, but from what I’m seeing in my searches that isn’t happening.

I just cracked my 5 year old frame (low miles and otherwise in great condition). It’s near impossible to find a good 26er FS frame. So, if i wanted to buy into 27.5 it also requires a new fork and new rims/wheel build. But wait, the old hubs aren’t Boost so tack on new hubs... By this time a complete build is the cheaper way to go.

Again, maybe it’s just me but I think a $5000 mountain bike should be able to remain in service longer than 2500 miles/5 years. (I have 2 bikes. Who only has one bike???) Only a few years ago I could have just bought a new frame for $1500 - $2500 and been back on the trail. ****, I can still get a build kit for my 26” revelation and Hope hubs. Just can’t find a frame to bolt them on.

Where I see potential cannibalizing is that “some” older riders (me for eg) will be very hesitant to spend money on high end components such as wheels and forks when there is fear that the $700 hubs I just bought will be obsolete in 3 years. Same goes for forks - will I plunk down $1k or just go middle of the road and take what comes on the stock build? And hell, I’m definitely thinking thrice before buying a $3 - $3.5k frame at the rate I see long-time standards being abandoned.

Once the industry has burned enough customers, who will be left to plunk down thousands of dollars on new components? I foresee some great brands going out of business because too many customers had enough and chose not to spend the discretionary money.

Anyway, rant over.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I hear you. I certainly don't have the money to waste. That said, I don't think we should be afraid of new standards as long as there is a real advantage. The days of being able to swap just about every single upgrade to a years newer frame are gone. Newer frames have different geo, hub width standards, materials, wheel size allowance, and with varying effects on stem length and handlebar width. It's all different... but we're still doing the same thing.... riding a bike through the woods. However you do that is up to you, with new stuff or old, it doesn't matter. As long as pedaling brings a smile to your face, you're still winning even if a little lighter in wallet.

Ok, my rant is that I have a few (6) really nice LED lights for research purposes, bought a few years ago at discounted rate but still a few G a piece. Currently, no support for them whatsoever at less than 5 years, around 3 when I could get new LED plates. The company went to a new format, less power and overall size but same spectra. So, I am cannibalizing lamps to keep illuminating what I can and the company hasn't been forthcoming with a solution or a discounted price for the newer format fixture. We have a couple of those as well, 7 in one facility and 15 in another. Come on, throw me a lamp or LED plate you guys. Perhaps, refurb the bad plates? Ok, rant over.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear you db. We aren’t talking about a single company, but an entire industry.

It would be like a boat owner who can’t buy a motor, at all. That would impact the amount of money future buyers will spend on a new boat due to the fear.

Let’s not even get into the actual waste this is all creating. For god sake, this is an outdoor sport which requires open land to participate. It’s very socially irresponsible to scrap a complete bike because of a wheel size. What are we supposed to do with 90% of a perfectly fine bike?

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Have you seen any of those Chinese pile'o'BSOs pictures? That's waste. Our bikes are better can still be maintained for a while yet or can be donated to bike co-ops for others to do the same. I do agree that scrapping a bike just based on wheel size is ridiculous, but some still do it every year.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am finding good deals on lightly used bike stuff that conforms to older "standards" as many riders upgrade to the "newest and greatest" stuff.
Components aren't the problem, finding a good frame in good condition is the issue. The frames I've been seeing are beat to hell and the prices are way off.

·
slow
7,749 Posts
Components aren't the problem, finding a good frame in good condition is the issue. The frames I've been seeing are beat to hell and the prices are way off.
Around here there are lots of good riders with decent 26" bikes sitting in their basements or garages and they don't know what to do with them. They are afraid that resale is next to nothing, so they just store them rather than dumping them. You don't see them advertised for sale, but if you ask around here and offer a reasonable amount, most would let them go pretty quickly to free up storage space. There are also some pretty nice ones donated to the local bike co-op or junior racing programs.

Maybe if you have a local MTB trading page on Facebook or a local MTB club or bike co-op, you could ask if anyone has what you need. It would be a win-win for both of you.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Around here there are lots of good riders with decent 26" bikes sitting in their basements or garages and they don't know what to do with them. They are afraid that resale is next to nothing, so they just store them rather than dumping them. You don't see them advertised for sale, but if you ask around here and offer a reasonable amount, most would let them go pretty quickly to free up storage space. There are also some pretty nice ones donated to the local bike co-op or junior racing programs.

Maybe if you have a local MTB trading page on Facebook or a local MTB club or bike co-op, you could ask if anyone has what you need. It would be a win-win for both of you.
I'll take your advice and keep looking for places to find something.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I'd agree, but sadly if bike companies don't follow the modern standards they will fail. So the options are fail or stick with the new standards.

That being said, ebay & pinkbike are places to get your used 26" bike frames cheaper than new. So really, you're being forced to save money.

I do really love my old 26r's but the Mojo HD & it's relatively antiquated geometry is't as fun as my '15 Kona Process, to the point it will sadly be on the chopping block. Some new standards are pointless, but the geometry on the modern bikes makes for a better riding experience & that's what matters most to me & the riding public in general.

·
2,675 Posts
Mountain biking made a huge "standards" jump around 2011ish which made a lot of frames, wheel sizes, etc. obsolete. That being said, I can't this happening again anytime soon - 27.5, 29ers aren't going anywhere, 1x is here to stay, same with thru axle hub standards, tapered head tubes, etc.

I have a 2012 hardtail that I can still easily get parts for and my 2016 full suspension still has all the latest standards after 4 years.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I just cracked my 5 year old frame (low miles and otherwise in great condition). It's near impossible to find a good 26er FS frame. .
I happen to know of a nice Titus Racer X frame that needs new home. It is a complete bike build, but that might mean some good spares. 23" ETT and 17" seat tube. Located in Arizona.

Now frankly that may be the best thing to do is to find someone selling a used frame/bike and then just transfer parts.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts

·
Trust your turbo lust
38 Posts
im right there with you, i still love my 26" bikes. I would love to be able to get one of the newer styles of bikes but with 26" wheels so i could still use the tires and wheels i have in my collection.

Its kind of a double edge sword, as well, i have a Scott Spark frame that it too big for me to ride and i cant find anyone that wants it since it seems that nobody wants the old tech. If it was a medium frame, i would be riding it, lol.. It is for sale, btw, if you are interested.

in addition to having trouble finding good frames, i have found it damn near impossible to find a decent for for a 26" bike that isnt either way too expensive or affordable and not worth the effort. on top of that, finding anyone locally that will servicethe older forks that i have is damn near impossible. i have a fox rl fork on one bike that will need attention soon and another bike with a Rockshox Sid world cup fork that currently needs attention. it gets frustrating, for sure :(

·
Music & Bikes
1,658 Posts
Buy a 650 bike and put your 26 wheels.
It's almost the same circumference.....

But you would have to got on the "all new standards" train.
And BTW , that train changes track every few years

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Buy a 650 bike and put your 26 wheels.
It's almost the same circumference.....

But you would have to got on the "all new standards" train.
And BTW , that train changes track every few years
Thought about a Spitfire so I can keep rocking my Hopes at 12x142 and my current fork. Then when a hub dies I can jump up to the Boost thing. By this time I'm sure there will be a new standard though...

And yeah, the train can keep changing tracks - and it will. I'm cool with that. Just can't stomach the trend of high $$ bikes becoming obsolete within 5 years.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.