Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My targeted 2x10 setup....any input??? UPDATED

Hello,
I'm planning on switching out most of my XT DynaSys with some SRAM bits, and was wondering if anybody had any issues doing so, or any thoughts...

Here's my targeted setup:
Shifters: Sram X9 2x10
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT Etype, Dynasys
Rear Derailleur: Sram 10sp, Medium cage
Cassette: Shimano XT CS-M7771-10
Chain: kmc X10sl
Crankset: Truvativ Sram XO 2x10, 24t-36t

·
Registered
115 Posts
The 2x shifter pulls 8mm of cable (mimics a middle to big shift) the 3x pulls 12mm from granny to middle and 8mm from middle to big. Since you are shifting from granny to middle you need the 12mm cable pull of a 3x shifter. The 2x shifter might work but not as quickly and you'll likely have cage to chain rubbing when in 36F/11R.

Good luck.

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
nixgame22 said:
Why is this? There are only two chainrings on the crank, 24/36. Is it because the SLX chainring is a bit thicker? Or because of the derailleur?
Thanks
Like Eddy said ... it is not designed for a granny/middle on a triple it is for a 2X - different spacing...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I updated a few things.

-SRAM X9 shifting (2x10 shifters, and med-cage r/der).
-Truvativ XO crankset, 24/36. Dedicated 2x10 crankset.
-Shimano XT cassette (11/36) and front derailleur (3x10 Dyna Sys).

So my concern now applies to the front derailleur. Will the Sram shifters play nice with a Shimano front der?

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
nixgame22 said:
Ok, I updated a few things.

-SRAM X9 shifting (2x10 shifters, and med-cage r/der).
-Truvativ XO crankset, 24/36. Dedicated 2x10 crankset.
-Shimano XT cassette (11/36) and front derailleur (3x10 Dyna Sys).

So my concern now applies to the front derailleur. Will the Sram shifters play nice with a Shimano front der?
The cable pull ratio and sram/shimano compatibility should not be an issue on the front derailleurs.... the issue you may now run into is the geo of the front der. Both Sram and Shimano (XTR only for now) make 2X and 3X specific front derailleurs (even ring size specific in some cases) and while a 3X may "work" it is not optimal because of the larger jump between rings- (You mention a 24/36 ratio but XO 2X only comes in a 24/39). Why not just go with the X9 front Der that goes with the cranks to avoid the hassle?

Your call and I don't know your whole plan but if I were going to spend the $ I would loose the XO cranks and go with the X-9 cranks- If you add anyting XO my suggestion would be in the shifters where you might actually notice the improvement vs cranks- just my opinion-

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
knottshore said:
(You mention a 24/36 ratio but XO 2X only comes in a 24/39). Why not just go with the X9 front Der that goes with the cranks to avoid the hassle?

Your call and I don't know your whole plan but if I were going to spend the $ I would loose the XO cranks and go with the X-9 cranks- If you add anyting XO my suggestion would be in the shifters where you might actually notice the improvement vs cranks- just my opinion-
Thanks for the response. They are the XO crankset, in a 24/36t config.
"SRAM's 2×10 chainrings are designed around a 1:1.5 tooth ratio. Currently there are 26-39T and 28-42T options, but a new, smaller 24-36T gear combo is coming for X7, X9 and X0 (but not XX)."
I got an incredible deal on them, less than an X9 crankset. They're a new take-off from a2011 Spec Enduro Expert.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After researching, the crankset is a 3x10 crankset which SRAM passes off as a 2x10 on the Enduro Expert build. Meaning, I'm kinda back at square 1 (replace the front shifter).

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
nixgame22 said:
After researching, the crankset is a 3x10 crankset which SRAM passes off as a 2x10 on the Enduro Expert build. Meaning, I'm kinda back at square 1 (replace the front shifter).
Hey if you got a great deal that answers the question- looks like a nice set up. You will need the 3x right shifters rather than the 2X ones you mentioned but the good news is you should be able to just get a 10s 3X front der (sram or Shimano) and just screw in the stop screw- and you will be good to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.