Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Just a lerker at heart
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a 10 year sabbatical from riding, and starting to pack on the pounds, I decided 4 weeks ago to get back into it.

Drove around to the local shops, on my list was a couple of Fishers and a Trek 6700. None of them had anything. I told them what I was after and one shop recommended a Giant(I'll pass) and another recommended a Spec Stumpy HT Comp 29er. He said it would sell anyway, so he'd order it and let me try it out. I fell in love.

Fast forward to 1st ride with it last Sunday. I'm worse out of shape than I thought!!
Lessons learned?
--Going slow isn't always good
--You can have to many gears
--Good shorts go a long way
--the stock tires just don't well in my area

Mods done:
--Pulled crank and replaced with a Deus crank and only a 32t front (1:9er!!)
--Added some lighter parts
--Got some shorts
--Got some good tires

Back out Today (This Saturday). Loved it!! I dig the 1-9 setup.

Some questions:

Can I run these wheels/tires tubeless? I'm 5'9 170 and do mostly xc.

I can't lift the front as easily as I could with my Fisher 10 years ago. Is there something with the setup, or do I just need to adjust my style to what the bike can do?

Some Pics:

https://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff154/Jester1911/Mtn Bike/Stumpy HT/

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Looks good. Consult the notubes.com website for more info on tubeless. I am sure it won't be a problem converting. I would get a n-gear jump stop or something to make sure the chain stays on the front of the 1x9 set up. Congrats on the new bike you are going to love the 29 inch wheels.

·
Just a lerker at heart
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info on the notubes, I'll call them tomorrow. I do have a plastic gizmo up there to keep it from jumping.

I do love them, just gotta keep the speed up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.