Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S'up folks,
I've finally gotten my new STP Zero after some painful weeks of anticipation. Didn't really know what to expect but i'm seriously happy with it, you don't see alot of bikes like this in Ireland, which is why i'm here. The problem is when i try backpedal in first or second gear it drops to fourth or fifth instantly. I imagine the problem is probably the chainguides rather than the derailer but i dunno - i brought it back to the shop but like i said, there's no other bikes like this around here so they couldn't help me much. Just wonderin if anyone can tell me what i need to adjust. I'm sure it's pretty trivial but it's all new to me.
Cheers for any help.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
oohmeshins said:
S'up folks,
I've finally gotten my new STP Zero after some painful weeks of anticipation. Didn't really know what to expect but i'm seriously happy with it, you don't see alot of bikes like this in Ireland, which is why i'm here. The problem is when i try backpedal in first or second gear it drops to fourth or fifth instantly. I imagine the problem is probably the chainguides rather than the derailer but i dunno - i brought it back to the shop but like i said, there's no other bikes like this around here so they couldn't help me much. Just wonderin if anyone can tell me what i need to adjust. I'm sure it's pretty trivial but it's all new to me.
Cheers for any help.
First off, congrats on the score, esp. if like you say, bikes like that are rare in your corner of the map, more power to ya' bro!
But, sounds like your chainline might not be optimal. chainline is how straight the chain is when you look from above, it supposed to go a little crooked back and forth when shifting through your drivetrain, but the straighter it is the better. Now that said, on most any bike with a derailleur, it is going to want to drop gears when you backpedal a LOT... it's just a downfall of a multispeed drivetrain, and another reason why you see a lot of street/park/dj riders going singlespeed like bmx.
you can try to fine tune your derailleur for maximum precision, but it's still going to get a little funky when you back pedal faster than the bike is rolling...
good luck... maybe someone else here has a quick fix for gears, but I explained as much as I could...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice one BikeSATORI, that was all good to know. I deepened the angle of the lower chain guide wheel and that gave me a little slack which has eased the problem but not solved it completely. Like you said, it'll be hard to get it perfect. Anyway, thanks man. Maybe there is more bikes like this around here by the way - i took it to a spot today and all the kids knew what it was. Lookin at me, waiting fruitlessly for me to pull out some Ryan Leech **** or somethin.

Yo Cru Jones, yeah in theory i'd love to switch to singlespeed but i'm gonna be draggin this thing up hills and through terrain it's not designed for - i've got another bike better suited to that but i'm in love with ridin this bike - everywhere - i've never had a bike that lets me get in the air so easily. God damn i love this bike.

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
oohmeshins said:
Nice one BikeSATORI, that was all good to know. I deepened the angle of the lower chain guide wheel and that gave me a little slack which has eased the problem but not solved it completely. Like you said, it'll be hard to get it perfect. Anyway, thanks man. Maybe there is more bikes like this around here by the way - i took it to a spot today and all the kids knew what it was. Lookin at me, waiting fruitlessly for me to pull out some Ryan Leech **** or somethin.

Yo Cru Jones, yeah in theory i'd love to switch to singlespeed but i'm gonna be draggin this thing up hills and through terrain it's not designed for - i've got another bike better suited to that but i'm in love with ridin this bike - everywhere - i've never had a bike that lets me get in the air so easily. God damn i love this bike.
Keep in mind going single speed can save you 2.5 to 3lbs, maybe more if your chainguide is very heavy.

Singlespeeding uphills just makes you stronger!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.