Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you start thinking this is some sob story with an outcome that is nagging at my soul, keep reading. I often like to hit the local Goodwill stores and decided to phone up to the furthest one so I could save a trip if they didn't have anything. They said they have a couple bikes, so I decided to check it out.

The low fuel light comes on, so I pull in to the gas station with a Long Johns next door. After I filled up, I decided I could use a bite, so I parked and went inside to eat.

Anyway, I head up the road and make it to the Goodwill. I walk inside to find a stack of bikes, 2 of which catch my attention. It took me a minute to realize what I was looking at, 2 nice Schwinn King Stings. A guy was already grabbing one (black 10 speed with gold ano goodies) leaving a silver 5 speed with blue ano. I ask the guy if he is going to buy that one and he would not let go. I should have offered him money not to buy it, but he looked like a little kid on Christmas morning so I let it go. Heck, I still got my hands on one of them, but I can't help buy think that my little pit stop cost me one of those bikes.

Pics to come soon once I get a new card reader.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am definitely not complaining because I could have just as easily decided not to drive all the way out to this location. It is still hard not to think about the "what ifs."

I will swing by the electronics store on my way home and get a card reader so I can upload pics.

Does anybody know what kind of seat would have been appropriate for this bike? The previous owner had installed a funky springer saddle which looks terrible.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here we go, a sampling of pics I took. The bike is very clean. I just need to take some XX steel wool to the handlebar and fork as it has very light speckling of rust and true the wheels. This bike looks like it just sat all its life. It is a shame that the original tires are starting to crack around the edge of the gumwall where it joins the tread. I figure it is still best to leave those tires on there until a suitable replacement set is found because removing them would crack the sidewalls, or would it? From a collectibility standpoint, would it be best to find some NOS Studded Schwill Balloon tires like these or put on a period correct set of Tioga Comp III?

Attachments

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No kidding, my jaw dropped. I really wanted the black and gold one, it was beautiful. It needed tires though, they were totally blown out around the sidewalls. This one at least was pretty much ready to ride other than needing some air.

Speaking of tires, I found a set of NOS Schwinn Studded Balloon tires. I e-mailed the seller and he wants $250 for them. It looks like that ain't happening. Now I just need to figure out if I should leave the originals or find an appropriate set of old style tires, or just put on something modern.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cactus Jack said:
So........not counting the Long John Silvers meal, how much did you have to fork over for the Schwinn?:)
Great find..........I believe I will start checking my local goodwill stores more often!
Let's just say that I could have purchased a Long John's sampler basket combo for me and 5 friends and spent the same I did on the bike.

What was funny is that this Goodwill had a junky Wally-Schwinn in their weekly silent auction. After the other guy bought his and I paid for mine, I told the cashier that they were auctioning the wrong Schwinn. She gave me a funny look.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ScottyMTB said:
Looks great. I don't know if I would ride that and risk brake rubbing on the wheels, doesn't look like there is much rub right now.
The front wheel is pristine and the back has very little rub marks. I am amazed how well those old brake pads still grab. I certainly was not planning on riding it that much. I am really agonizing over whether I should replace those tires. If there werent already small chunks of side wall flaking off, I would surely keep them on there. I just don't know if they are still adding to the bike's value or taking away. This would looks so sweet with a set of blue and tan Comp IIIs (not to mention a blue saddle, Turbo perhaps).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.