Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Ibex Alpine 550 that I bought new in 2007(I think). I struggle to reach the bars and by the end of my ride I am supporting myself on my callouses. I'm thinking about buying a Kore B1B stem to shorten my reach. Will it fit my bike?

Thanks guys,
Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks.:thumbsup:

So I hbave the 17" frame, and my stem is 105mm with a 15 degree rise. My problem is that when I ride, I feel like I am reaching for the bars. Is a 50mm with no rise too exreme? I really don't want to end up buying alot of stems.

And also, correct me if I'm wrong, but my steer tube is 1 1/8" and my bar is 31.8mm, yes?

And I know the disidvantages, hard to keep the front end down, and sensitive steering... What else?

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
det5lonewolf said:
Hey thanks.:thumbsup:

So I hbave the 17" frame, and my stem is 105mm with a 15 degree rise. My problem is that when I ride, I feel like I am reaching for the bars. Is a 50mm with no rise too exreme? I really don't want to end up buying alot of stems.

And also, correct me if I'm wrong, but my steer tube is 1 1/8" and my bar is 31.8mm, yes?

And I know the disidvantages, hard to keep the front end down, and sensitive steering... What else?
A sweet in between size is 60mm, yes1 1/8, yes 31.8 :thumbsup:

Better wheelies. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
YOU BASTARD [dogonfr]

YOU TOLD ME MY BAR WAS 31.8MM !!! My bar is not 31.8mm.

So I bought this stem and it's the wrong size! I paid 20 bucks for it and it's too big. So I measured my bar (genious idea), and it's not 1.25", it's 1'...

Just to be clear, I'm being sarcastic. I appreciate all the advice you guys give on this forum. But in this case you were wrong, (I'm pretty sure).

Attachments

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
det5lonewolf said:
YOU TOLD ME MY BAR WAS 31.8MM !!! My bar is not 31.8mm.

So I bought this stem and it's the wrong size! I paid 20 bucks for it and it's too big. So I measured my bar (genious idea), and it's not 1.25", it's 1'...

Just to be clear, I'm being sarcastic. I appreciate all the advice you guys give on this forum. But in this case you were wrong, (I'm pretty sure).
Never trust a dog behind the wheel with beer. :prft:

MiniTrail said:
use a tape measure or ruler?
post the brand and model of your bars, stem, fork?
Post a link to the stem you are looking at
Nobody want's to give bad information. Help them find your answers :thumbsup:
dogonfr said:
What MT said, center of bar clamp to center of steer. If you dont have a MM ruler use this. :thumbsup:

http://www.psinvention.com/zoetic/convert.htm
MiniTrail said:
why did you say 31.8 if you didn't measure it?
He took the best shot and many others would have done the same

moving forward, they make shims to adapt or you can just exchange it

and next time measure, help others help you
What MT said. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MiniTrail said:
why did you say 31.8 if you didn't measure it?
He took the best shot and many others would have done the same

moving forward, they make shims to adapt or you can just exchange it

and next time measure, help others help you
I was out of the country. :madman:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.