Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
its just a mountain
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an '04 DJ2 and the steer tub gets bigger as you go down. Is that supposed to happen? Another question: I put the fork into my Azonic Steelhead and there is a considerable amount of wobble. Does this mean I need a new headset?

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
MxFlyer43 said:
I just got an '04 DJ2 and the steer tub gets bigger as you go down. Is that supposed to happen? Another question: I put the fork into my Azonic Steelhead and there is a considerable amount of wobble. Does this mean I need a new headset?
are you using a 1 1/8 steerer tube? i think you are cuz ur on a dj2, but that's weird...

·
its just a mountain
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, its a 1 1/8" steertube. And for the second question, it's on an azonic steelhead(incase that helps).

·
its just a mountain
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm saying the actual steer tube gets larger. About 3/4 of the way down, I can't move the spacers down b/c the steertube gets larger. I'm not trying to put spacers below the headtube, I was just trying to figure out why my headset wobbles when I came across the fact that my steertube gets bigger as it goes down.

·
DOWNHILL MAFIA
1,360 Posts
Take you bike to a bike shop.
You're never gonna be able to put a race on by yourself, unless you have a race setting tool, which I doubt. Stop riding your bike without the fork crown race... you're gonna ruin your frame, headset, fork, and maybe even your face!!!

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
The steerer tube is thicker at the bottom because that is the seat for the crown race. Get some 1 1/4 inch PVC and some various fittings and you have a perfect crown race setting tool. As for the wobble, that may be because you didn't install the race, if not, then the headset does not have enough preload. Tighten the bolt on the headset cap.

·
its just a mountain
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not riding my bike, i'm putting it together. The race is on there. If I just tighted the topcap will that get rid of the wobble in my headset because the headset doesnt appear to be ovalized.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
MxFlyer43 said:
I'm not riding my bike, i'm putting it together. The race is on there. If I just tighted the topcap will that get rid of the wobble in my headset because the headset doesnt appear to be ovalized.
Go get professional help before you really screw up something. It is very obvious this is beyond your current ability to fix.

BTW you usually can not see an ovalized headtube with the naked eye.

·
DOWNHILL MAFIA
1,360 Posts
MxFlyer43 said:
It should..
Make sure you tighten the cap bolt with the stem bolts loosened!;)

·
its just a mountain
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the help. A spacer in the headset came off when i was taking it apart and i've looked everywhere around that space for it but I cant find it so I'll have to work on it again tomorrow.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
JSUN said:
You're never gonna be able to put a race on by yourself, unless you have a race setting tool, which I doubt. Stop riding your bike without the fork crown race... you're gonna ruin your frame, headset, fork, and maybe even your face!!!
Psh...real bikers install theirs with meticulous care using hammers. :D

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
JSUN said:
I made my crown race setter out of PVC. If you use schedule 40 thickness PVC, it will be exactly the right size for an FSA crown race. I don't buy non-FSA headsets, so I've never intalled others (I know there are slight variations in size), but mine was worked so far without fail. Of course, if I had the cash for a real crown race setter, I'd buy it. :rolleyes: :( Anyway, I still let a real mechanic set the cups. Don't want to fvck that up... :eek:

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Andrewpalooza said:
I made my crown race setter out of PVC. If you use schedule 40 thickness PVC, it will be exactly the right size for an FSA crown race. I don't buy non-FSA headsets, so I've never intalled others (I know there are slight variations in size), but mine was worked so far without fail. Of course, if I had the cash for a real crown race setter, I'd buy it. :rolleyes: :( Anyway, I still let a real mechanic set the cups. Don't want to fvck that up... :eek:
That's even more fun to do on your own with a 2x4 and a mallet. :D Gotta love cheapos who don't buy tools. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.