Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So first off, let me just say that I'm not trying to belittle anyone else who's injured, but what happened to me today deserves some ridicule....so read on and have some fun at my expense!

Here I am, strapping on my gear to hit my favorite trail this morning. I SHOULD be at work, but I'm not....so right there, I already know I'm having a great day. It's cool with the warm sun as I'm biking up to the trailhead. Did I mention that I'm not at work on a Friday...with great summer weather?

So up the trail I go, it's all uphill for the first half, undulating curves with short technical rocky climbs to spice things up. Now I've been riding this trail for years, but I haven't been able to progress as much as I would have liked because I just couldn't get any consistency in my riding. Except in the last six months, I've been able to get in two to three rides a week, so I'm thinking to myself, that on a Friday with great weather, I'm going to be the absolute trail BOSS that I know I can be. Carpe Diem!

I've been eye-balling two short but steep rock steps/climbs on the trail for YEARS. Never actually tried to ride it since I just knew I couldn't clear it. And if you don't clear it, it's potentially a really ugly fall into an arroyo. But not today! I'm going around the curve on the approach, I pick my line, and KA-POW! I'm over it, and I'm speeding along like that section was my b*tch all along! Wahoo! Friday, not at work, great weather, and just cleared one of my all time challenges! Best day ever!

Now on to the next hurdle. I got this, my MTB mojo is ON! I take the high line on the corner to get some momentum, pick my line, and KA-POW! My front tire hits the second rock shelf, and I come crashing to a halt. I've already transferred my weight forward, so naturally I ram myself into the stem. Ugh. Ok, no problem. Wait a minute....what just skewered my *ss? F$cking hell! I just got speared by the nose of my saddle? And the location? Halfway down my *ss crack. Oh man...I think I'm going to have a problem, that was my coccyx that just got nailed. Two inches lower, and I might have just gotten a colonoscopy since my saddle was already in the neighborhood. Ok, I'm gonna finish the ride...no matter what....it's Friday and I'm not at work, gawdammit!

It's about 8 hours post ride. My *ss is killing me, and I think I need to go buy a tushy cushion for the weekend. It hurts to sit, it hurts to get off the couch, and getting out of the car was NOT ENJOYABLE. It's so bad that when I cough, my *ss hurts. You know how you never appreciate things until you lose them? I would have never put down my *sscrack as one of them. And really, when have you EVER heard of the rear of a bike flipping up and forward at just the right angle, as you're shifting your weight forward, to nail you where the sun don't shine (or at least just above it)? My *ss cheeks are giant targets, but no! Let's get it right in the crack where the coccyx is located!

Moral of the story.....shoulda gone to work....

·
Cycologist
16,869 Posts
Reminds me of when I first started riding back in the '90s in Wissihikon Park, Philadelphia. The trails weren't really developed for mountain biking back then, seems I almost always ended up bleeding at some point. Once I was crossing a large granite slab that was at a pretty good angle and suddenly my bike just slid out from under me and I landed on my coccyx. It hurt for weeks. Yours sounds worse, though.

hmm, just looked it up and came across this:

The last three to five (usually four) vertebrae of the spinal column are fused together to make the coccyx, colloquially known as the tailbone. Fusion begins during a person's 20s and is usually complete by the age of 30.

I was in my early thirties at the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reminds me of when I first started riding back in the '90s in Wissihikon Park, Philadelphia. The trails weren't really developed for mountain biking back then, seems I almost always ended up bleeding at some point. Once I was crossing a large granite slab that was at a pretty good angle and suddenly my bike just slid out from under me and I landed on my coccyx. It hurt for weeks. Yours sounds worse, though.

hmm, just looked it up and came across this:

The last three to five (usually four) vertebrae of the spinal column are fused together to make the coccyx, colloquially known as the tailbone. Fusion begins during a person's 20s and is usually complete by the age of 30.

I was in my early thirties at the time.
A granite slab versus the nose of a saddle....it's hard to know which is worse. I would definitely say that I have more style points, if I had to do a comparison.
Ok, so a couple of weeks for you....so I'll be thinking along those lines for recovery time. Did you find yourself able to get back on the saddle for easy rides while you recovered? I can just see myself doing some of my shorter rides and then re-injuring my crack again...

Well, my wife is laughing at me right now as I waddle along in pain, so I think the patient will live...

·
Cycologist
16,869 Posts
Well, that was a quarter of a century ago so I don't remember too many details at this point. I think it was right before I moved to Tokyo and I think I still felt in when I got to Tokyo, and I moved all my stuff back to Atlanta when I left Philly before I went overseas. It took my bike a couple of weeks to arrive in Tokyo and I don't recall having any issues riding it when it got there. But this was so long ago, not sure on any of this!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.