Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi @. After waiting the whole summer for my gorgeous 5-Spot to arrive, I've been riding it for only 2 weeks and today the shock became stuck down. The o-ring shows the current sag setting, with 200psi in the main chamber!!!

What with the bottoming out issues, I'm not very impressed with this shock so far. I guess I should remove it and send it off to Mojo for fixing...or should I talk to Turner? Back to the hardtail again for a while... :(



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trond said:
I have a friend who had the exact thing happen to his spot/dhxAir combo. He had 2000feet of singletrack to descend in Verbier when it happened...
Ah man that's harsh. At least I was only doing a couple of loops of one of the Welsh trails. Talk about smacking pedals against rocks though...it was like riding a chopper. Not happy :mad:. Until the PUSH shim stack for the DHX-A is available, I'm not gonna have a lot of faith in this shock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
happy ht:ing

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the shock.

Almost the same happened to me .waited the spot, build it, loved it, had 3 rides and now i had to sent to DHX air back.

My shock was making very loud klunk noise so tho problem with the shock was a bit different but the result the same.

It´s very hard to be parted of your new bike. the old HT is fine but somehow feels like subtitute now.

Hope you get yours fixed soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
You have the infamous "Stuck Down" issue. It's so prevalent, that Fox included it in their 2006 manual. That problem occurs with the FLoat, Rp3 and DHx air. I had the problem with a 2005 RP3 and a 2006 Rp3. It sucks, doesn't it?

I'd contact Turner and see if they'll send you a replacement. Otherwise, send it to Fox and they'll fix it.

The problem occurs because there is a leak between the positive and negative chambers. This is most likely caused by a bad seal or not enough lube in the shock.

Good Luck.
 

·
Lay off the Levers
Joined
·
10,127 Posts
Being in the UK, I'll bet service turnarund to the US will be a PITA. Isn't there a F0X service center on your side of the pond?

Meanwhile maybe your shop or distributer can set you up with a loaner shock (Rond, RP3, Romic, RS 5th-E Air)? Even a different variety will be better than a big gap in the middle of your frame.

Did the manual discribe some potential remedies to release the Stuck-down problem? I vaguely recall some people posted they were able to work it out under very limited circumstances. Chances are you'll have to send it back though b/c if it hapens once it will likely happen again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Turnaround USA--->UK is indeed a real pain, so I'll be contacting the UK Turner distributor tomorrow morning. With luck, they may have a DHX-A in stock they can send me & I can send this one back to them. Otherwise, I'll send it to Mojo (UK Fox people) for a warrantee repair. Robbz has kindly offered to lend me his spare, so if things look like they're gonna take ages I'll still be able to ride the 'Spot. Good lad! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
I have had 3 lately

Pedalhead said:
Thanks guys. Turnaround USA--->UK is indeed a real pain, so I'll be contacting the UK Turner distributor tomorrow morning. With luck, they may have a DHX-A in stock they can send me & I can send this one back to them. Otherwise, I'll send it to Mojo (UK Fox people) for a warrantee repair. Robbz has kindly offered to lend me his spare, so if things look like they're gonna take ages I'll still be able to ride the 'Spot. Good lad! :D
I have had 3 different shocks that I rebuilt recently that came in with the stuck down deal. 1 shock was a Float, 1 was an RP3, and the other was a DHX-air. For all 3 shocks, I put in the Fox rebuild seal kit, and all 3 are still going with no more issues some weeks later. Not that your shock would be remedied with this but it might, if it is just a seal that the kit would fix, it might save you some long down time if a local shop has the kit and can install it for you, or you can do it yourself.
 

Attachments

·
Gravity Rides Everything
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
You have the infamous "Stuck Down" issue. It's so prevalent, that Fox included it in their 2006 manual. That problem occurs with the FLoat, Rp3 and DHx air. I had the problem with a 2005 RP3 and a 2006 Rp3. It sucks, doesn't it?

I'd contact Turner and see if they'll send you a replacement. Otherwise, send it to Fox and they'll fix it.

The problem occurs because there is a leak between the positive and negative chambers. This is most likely caused by a bad seal or not enough lube in the shock.

Good Luck.
assuming there's no other manufacturing defect, wouldn't an airsleeve rebuild kit (~12 dollars at most decent bike shops) fix this problem? :confused:

good luck with that DHX. just remember, all high end bike parts suck. ;)
 

·
carpe mañana
Joined
·
7,308 Posts
DGC said:
I have had 3 different shocks that I rebuilt recently that came in with the stuck down deal. 1 shock was a Float, 1 was an RP3, and the other was a DHX-air. For all 3 shocks, I put in the Fox rebuild seal kit, and all 3 are still going with no more issues some weeks later. Not that your shock would be remedied with this but it might, if it is just a seal that the kit would fix, it might save you some long down time if a local shop has the kit and can install it for you, or you can do it yourself.
Hey DGC, how careful do you have to be when unscrewing the stuck down air sleeve?
Is it enough to just deflate the main chamber, cycle the shock, to get whatever air out of the negative, release air again, then press down on the seat to fully compress the shock and unscrew the air sleeve, so it doesn't pop off and fly off? Or is there a better method? I haven't had an issue with the sleeve, but preparing for future.

_MK
 

·
dr.harmonica
Joined
·
72 Posts
Trond said:
I have a friend who had the exact thing happen to his spot/dhxAir combo. He had 2000feet of singletrack to descend in Verbier when it happened...
The same thing happened as well to a Kona Dawg Deelux or something that we tested last spring. This was on a RP3.
 

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
Joined
·
2,031 Posts
This thread is freakin' me out. :( I just decided on ordering a Pack with a DHX-A on it. One of my issues was reliability and I've heard about this "stuck down" issue before. Damn it. I just had to order a new cartridge for my Vanilla, and I do my own seal replacments for my Float AVA right now (mainly because it's cheaper) and I'm sick of having to pay FOX to fix stupid arse problems!!!!!

But it doesn't seem to be a huge problem to fix this. Anyone know if FOX has solved this problem for '06? Maybe I should get the coil now. Damn it......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Man that' s a lot of sag, you must be FAT!!

ddraewwg said:
This thread is freakin' me out. :( I just decided on ordering a Pack with a DHX-A on it. One of my issues was reliability and I've heard about this "stuck down" issue before. Damn it. I just had to order a new cartridge for my Vanilla, and I do my own seal replacments for my Float AVA right now (mainly because it's cheaper) and I'm sick of having to pay FOX to fix stupid arse problems!!!!!

But it doesn't seem to be a huge problem to fix this. Anyone know if FOX has solved this problem for '06? Maybe I should get the coil now. Damn it......
Yeah, that sucks, and it'll probably come without a horst link, double bummer...

(just rattling the cage, because I can) ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
Push

MK_ said:
Hey DGC, how careful do you have to be when unscrewing the stuck down air sleeve?
Is it enough to just deflate the main chamber, cycle the shock, to get whatever air out of the negative, release air again, then press down on the seat to fully compress the shock and unscrew the air sleeve, so it doesn't pop off and fly off? Or is there a better method? I haven't had an issue with the sleeve, but preparing for future.

_MK
Your mentioned method is what I did on the DHX-a, and did it on the bike. Just kept a good hand full of rags on top of the shock to prevent any damage if it did decide to go airborn speed...!!!!!! The DHX-a did not pop that loud at all, not nearly as loud as a Float did that one of my other mechanics did, and he did not cycle it and re-release air, just went for it. I also as you have not had problems with my shocks yet....I have 2 DHX-a and no stuck down yet.
I wonder if Darren-PUSH could enlighten us on this some????
Darren????

Maybe my title-PUSH will get his attention?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Pedalhead said:
Thanks guys. Turnaround USA--->UK is indeed a real pain, so I'll be contacting the UK Turner distributor tomorrow morning. With luck, they may have a DHX-A in stock they can send me & I can send this one back to them. Otherwise, I'll send it to Mojo (UK Fox people) for a warrantee repair. Robbz has kindly offered to lend me his spare, so if things look like they're gonna take ages I'll still be able to ride the 'Spot. Good lad! :D
Good for you to be able to lend one!!

Have you gotten your own shox yet??

i just had mine back.
Tho problem was due the wrong assembly + some rubber pieces inside the shock so mabye the fox have been in a too much of hurry to make these out fast.

the service center and importer of fox in finland was very fast and helpfull
the shock is so new that fox had not sended tools yet to fix it , so they had to ask a gunsmith to make tool to press the boost valve chamber of and on. Now lacking the dhx sticker but who cares when i can ride again.

Did i mention that it is very satisfying to ride wit 5spot gotta snek out from wor very aerly today too to get to ride before the autum rains will really hit and make it all wet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
rikardo said:
Good for you to be able to lend one!!

Have you gotten your own shox yet??

i just had mine back.
Tho problem was due the wrong assembly + some rubber pieces inside the shock so mabye the fox have been in a too much of hurry to make these out fast.

the service center and importer of fox in finland was very fast and helpfull
the shock is so new that fox had not sended tools yet to fix it , so they had to ask a gunsmith to make tool to press the boost valve chamber of and on. Now lacking the dhx sticker but who cares when i can ride again.

Did i mention that it is very satisfying to ride wit 5spot gotta snek out from wor very aerly today too to get to ride before the autum rains will really hit and make it all wet.
Mojo had a really quick turnaround (just a couple of days) & I received my shock back last week. I also seem to have solved the bottom out issue simply by upping the pressure massively in the main chamber...it's now at 240psi for my 185lbs weight, which seems very high, but maybe that's just a characteristic of this shock.
 

·
3 "fiddy" for short
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Not Me Too!!!

I think I too have developed the "stuck down" problem although it doesnt seem to be as bad as the one pictured above. I have noticed that the rockers on my spot are no longer parallel with the ground but are pointing slightly toward the ground. Also I can see the wear marks on my shifter cables from where they previously hit the frame and now their location is different which corresponds to the "stuck" shock. The first time that I thought that I might have this problem was when I began to strike my pedals while riding. I rarely had this problem before! The other night I measured the exposed body of the shock and had just over 2" exposed ( I measured from the very bottom to the bottom of the main chamber. Not sure if this is right or not?). Now I have under 2" exposed. I cant believe that this has happened with only about 40 miles on the bike under very light duty I might add. Has anyone found a fix for this or is it off to the shop with this [email protected]? OH YEA. Has anyone heard if PUSH is going to work their wonders on the DHX air in the future? That would be the true fix in my opinion!!

Thanks guys
350
 

Attachments

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
Yours is so mildly stuck-down, it will be easy to fix. Let all the air out of the main chamber (the shock will shrink down towards bottomout due to the air in the neg chamber expanding), and while the shock is still on the bike, grasp the main canister with your hand and break the threads which hold it into the upper cap loose about 1/4 turn. Now take the shock off the bike and pass a long, thin screw driver through the lower eyelet. Wrap the screw driver in a rag very well so that when the canister blows off the shock body propelled by the trapped air it does not dent anything. Double check all the air possible is released from the main chamber, and then holding the shock away from your face and perhaps covered in a towel to stop lube spray, finish unscrewing the canister from the upper part of the shock. It will come free with a "pop".

Inspect the seals, lube everything with some Slick Honey or heavy shock oil (I mix Slick Honey or Prep M and some fork lube to get a somewhat runny slurry), and reassemble.

Note that I would not do this operation if the shock is stuck down more than about 1/2" since the pressures in the negative chamber will be too high to safely disassemble. I did take an RP3 apart which was quite stuck down (almost half way) and it blew up good. It blew the body bearings and quad seal out :eek: . I picked up the pieces, put it all back together, and I am still riding it to this day :D .

I think the main issue is that if your shock lube is too viscous, it gets pushed away from the quad seal which then deprived of lube rolls just enough to let air escape past it during the first compression after sitting. A good insurance policy with Fox air shocks is before hopping on the bike for the first time, cycle the suspension a very small distance a number of times to "wake the seal up." Once it is reminded of it's job, it usually functions great.

Good luck.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top