Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dreamed of the day when I could build a bike for my son. So the time has come and this is what I did. I started off with a 09 Specialized 12" Hotrock.

The first order of business was the hubs. I found a set of DK Mini Sealed bearing hubs on ebay.
Wood Hardwood Floor Wood stain Flooring

They laced up perfectly. When I tried to install the front wheel i found that the fork spacing is different on this bike. So I machined up some new spacer for the front hub.
Tire Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Spoke

The rear fit perfectly
Automotive tire Spoke Rim Automotive wheel system Synthetic rubber

Next was some 3pc. cranks. This sounded like a good idea until I noticed the bottom
bracket had a smaller id. and a narrower width than a normal bmx. I purchased a bottom bracket and cranks off ebay and started machining
Product Line Metal Auto part Cylinder

Font Metal Tool Steel Bicycle part

I turned the OD of the bearing adapter down to fit the smaller kids frame.
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Rim

I then had a friend machine the cranks for me. He shortened the arms to 90mm and
rethreaded them.
Bicycle part Machine Silver Steel Plastic

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next I had to narrow the spindle. I cut a 1/2" out, threaded both pieces, then reassemble the spindle with a piece of allthread. I then Tig welded the spindle back together. It turned out straight as an arrow.
Cylinder Still life photography Flashlight

Brown Office supplies Stationery Material property Flashlight

Writing implement Office supplies Office equipment Stationery Computer accessory

I then assembled the modified parts. I used a 34t front ring and an 18t rear with a Sinz
Hollow pin chain. The pedals are Free Agent mini's
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Spoke Rim

Last was the brake. I purchased a Linear Pull brake adapter from Jenson Usa. I had the brake arms from an old bike, the lever is a Sinz Mini Lever.
Bicycle accessory Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Bicycle Pipe

Automotive tire Fender Tread Synthetic rubber Auto part

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Rim Bicycle wheel rim Tread

I'm not super happy with the brake. It's still a little hard for a 2 year old to pull. I am going to put a disc brake on as soon as the adapter is available from Atomlab.

Here's the finished product:
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
You're up for "Dad of the Year!"

Nice job man:thumbsup:
I especially like what you did with the spindle.
It's funny, the drivetrain looks MASSIVE on that bike :D
(does he ride w/ the seat that low? i'm guessin no, but just wonderin')

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
He's graduating from a Specialized Hotwalk that he started balancing when he was 19months. The seat is that low so he can touch the ground better. He hasn't quite grasped the pedaling thing yet. He should be rippin in a couple a weeks I hope.:D

·
Registered
348 Posts
That rocks! My son is 3 and tears up his Strider. I cant wait for him to get pedals! Although I am thinking of putting him on a 16 next year and then after he out grows that I have an old Raleigh M80 frame that I am going to build up for him when he is big enough for it.

Tonight I was in the basement pulling the cranks and BB out of my Ells and he was right there with the BB wrench helping out. Good times.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The main reason I went to the disc is my son, at 2.5 had a hard time stopping the bike
with the linear pull brake. With the disc he now has no problems and it looks cool. I have already built a bike with a front disc brake. I set it up so it just barely slows him down. He rode the bike in Whistler this past summer at age 3 1/2.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
canonshooter said:
That rocks! My son is 3 and tears up his Strider. I cant wait for him to get pedals! Although I am thinking of putting him on a 16 next year and then after he out grows that I have an old Raleigh M80 frame that I am going to build up for him when he is big enough for it.

Tonight I was in the basement pulling the cranks and BB out of my Ells and he was right there with the BB wrench helping out. Good times.
I just put this 16" bike together, it started out life as a Specialized Hotrock. It has a lot better geometry for riding trails and jumps and has a pretty low stand over.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The front tab I Tig welded on. The rear is an aluminum thread on adapter for the rotor and the caliper mount are both made by www.choppersus.com. You can use a flip flop hub or get a Trials bike hub and lace up a new wheel. I have done both on different bikes. *The Redline is for sale if anyone wants the ultimate kids bike, it only weighs 17lbs* I also threw in an in action picture.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.