Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's how I would build up a Nomad if/when I get one!

I mean its got 6 inches rear travel and 6.3 inches front travel - VPP type
rear suspension - 68.5 head angle, 72 seat angle - 32 LBS built up -

Check it out:

I bought a 2005 Reign frame from Smart Cycles, 16 inch size, frame weight 7.5 LBS.
I mean the frame was only 500 bucks - it can't be that bad!

Build list:

Fork: Fox Vanilla 36 RC2
Shock: Manitou swinger 3 way
Headset: stock FSA zero-stack
Stem: FSA FR200 70mm 6deg. rise
Handlebar: FSA XC 190 1.5 inch riser 25 inch length.
Grips: ODI ruffian lock on with Hope end plugs(bling)
Brakes: Avid juicy 7 160mm front and rear
Shifters: shimano XT rapidfire.
Front derailleur: shimano XT
Rear Derailleur: shimano 750 SG XT (short cage, non-rapid-rise)
Chain: shimano XTR
Cassette: shimano XTR 11-34
Cranks: shimano XT 22-32 with FSA clear poly bash ring (for 32 ring)
Pedals: Tioga MX-Pro (flats) and shimano M540 (clipless)
Hubs: Hadley 20mm front and 10mm thru-axle rear
Rims: Mavic 819
Tires: Kenda Kinetic 2.2 UST
Seatpost: Thomson 367mm
Seat: Selle Italia Flite Ti

Total weight 32 LBS.

No real ride report yet, I'm just glad I got it finished!
Now I need to go get it dirty!!!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Well, let's see how much he saved.

As I see it, you saved a minimum$1350.00 on the frame alone if you got that Giant frame for $500.00. And, that Giant is a really sweet frame. That build looks awesome.

Yeah, I'd rather have a Nomad over a Giant Reign but it is hard to justify that much difference in cost when you consider how good the Giant is. It's not like it's a crappy frame by any means.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the original plan was to get a Nomad, but when I saw the
Reign in my size at Smart Cycles for $500 I jumped on it.

The quality and finish of the frame is fantastic. The only slight drawback to
the Reign frame I can see, is that it is limited in what kind of rear shock
it can run ie: nothing with a piggie-back, like the DHX stuff.

So, I probably will get a Nomad at some point, but for a season or two,
I'll be thrash'in the Reign!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
i just picked up a $500 16" reign frame from smart cycles as well, i think i might have bought the last one. to my surprise it turned out to be the reign 1 frame that comes in that black/cherry color. i'm in love already... i like your buildup, mine is going to be pretty similar but i want an 06 z1 light

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
very cool spec

especially the wheels :cool:

Why'd you go for the 16"? Wouldn't the 15" have a top tube (22.1") closer to the small Nomad (21.9")? Just wondering on fit issues as I'd get the Nomad in small too, if ever.

deoreo said:
I bought a 2005 Reign frame from Smart Cycles, 16 inch size, frame weight 7.5 LBS.
I mean the frame was only 500 bucks - it can't be that bad!

Build list:

Total weight 32 LBS.

No real ride report yet, I'm just glad I got it finished!
Now I need to go get it dirty!!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rigel said:
Why'd you go for the 16"? Wouldn't the 15" have a top tube (22.1") closer to the small Nomad (21.9")? Just wondering on fit issues as I'd get the Nomad in small too, if ever.
Well, I'm 5 foot 6 inch with a 30 inch inseam so I could really fit both the
15 & 16 Reign, and the small & medium Nomad.

I went with the 16 because it was avaliable :) and also because I'm running a seat
post with no layback, and a slightly short stem(70mm) - I also wanted the option
to run a shorter stem.

As it is, it seems to fit very well, not cramped up, but also much, more upright than
my XC bike

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
What I don't like about the Reign...no piggyback shock room...if I'm not mistaken. We don't have any Giant dealers around here, but a riding buddy from Moab was here last weekend with his Reign, and there doesn't appear to be any room for any of the piggyback model shocks unless they're a special remote reservoir model. As bikes get to 6" or longer, I just believe that the shock ought to have more capacity for oil, air, or whatever and have more tuneability options that are usually more available to piggyback style shocks. The inability to mount piggyback model shocks doesn't make a bike junk, but I'd usually always go with bike designs that allow the use of them. My buddy's Reign worked quite well. Maybe the shock companies should offer a more generic off-the-shelf ability of manufacturing remote reservoir piggyback shocks to fit a wider array of bike designs. It might even open the door to more and varied suspension designs that work even better than what we have now.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup, that is a drawback to the Reign - no piggyback shock fits.
And one of the reasons I will probably get a Nomad or something like it down the road.

And, for now, it was cheap, it works well, and I'm light at 143 w/gear.

But, boy - that Cane Creek Double Barrel shock looks sweet!! (wish I could use it) :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.