Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got it yesterday at work. Of course I was in the midst of building a pink adult trike which was getting less and less appealing to work on. I ended up punching out and assembling my bike. I took it for a quick test spin and then ripped the brakes off to sell to my coworker. After work i ran to out other location and picked up some time atac pedals (SPD's are unrideable in this muck).

then I went to school and worked on our engineering materials project for 2 grueling hours.AAARGH :(

finally I got home to finish assembly. Installed my hope mono M4 brakes (which involved removing the shock. Not that big a pain i guess, and it does offer neat routing) and my newly aquired time pedals. Strapped on my light set and ripped.

Very similar geometry to my last bike (03 enduro), which is great, cause I loved the fit of that bike. It made me want to ride and ride. Awesome handling. The talas fork is real slick too. I've just been getting into adjusting the travel, and it definitely makes a noticeable difference. It's easy to do even while moving. The compression lockout is a nice feature for road and smooth climbing, I've never had a fork with lockout, so I'll have to see how much use i get out of it.
The septune rear shock is cool too. I'm not sure why there's seven adjustments, 3 would be sufficient, but it's nice to be able to fine tune. This is my first pro pedal shock, and i'm moderately impressed with it. Definitely improves acceleration. In my opinion FSR suspension doesn't have a lot of need for gimmicky shocks, but a mild pro pedal shock definitely helps deliver power without sacricing plushness.

so yeah, cool bike. I'm glad i got it. anybody got any bright ideas for protecting the left side of the seatstay/forging thing from the brakeline? mine is already worn through to metal in one ride. :eek:

Sky

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
There are 7 adjustments to suit many different riding styles. Once you find the one that works for you, set it and forget it. The rest of them are for other people. People are confused thinking they get seven adjustments, it's not really that way. It's just set up with a lot of variability to suit many people.

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mward said:
There are 7 adjustments to suit many different riding styles. Once you find the one that works for you, set it and forget it. The rest of them are for other people. People are confused thinking they get seven adjustments, it's not really that way. It's just set up with a lot of variability to suit many people.

i gotcha... you don't open yours up for descents and close it more for climbs? :confused:

·
Registered
32 Posts
"anybody got any bright ideas for protecting the left side of the seatstay/forging thing from the brakeline? mine is already worn through to metal in one ride"

On my original frame (which went back for other reasons!) mine wore too. When the new frame came i noticed it had a very neatly shaped piece of helicopter type tape on there. Not done by the shop so it must be standard on the newer frames. I'm suprised yours didn't have the same :confused:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Open her up

endurowanker said:
i gotcha... you don't open yours up for descents and close it more for climbs? :confused:
Yup - I do just that. Tighten her up for climbs, and plush her out for descents! - I'm constantly fiddling with it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good Stuff

I am glad to hear your happy with the new SJ Expert. I went into my LBS today and asked would it b possible to test ride one and to my surprise :D they said the y have a weekend test ride scheme...........so I thought about it ;) and I am picking up a Large SJ120 Expert tommorow to test ride for the weekend! For only £30 or $50, bt if you buy the bike you get it refunded. Will that be the right size, I am 6"2 and 230LBS any recs on pressures for set up tommorow?
:cool:

·
Registered
118 Posts
stumpy98 said:
I am glad to hear your happy with the new SJ Expert. I went into my LBS today and asked would it b possible to test ride one and to my surprise :D they said the y have a weekend test ride scheme...........so I thought about it ;) and I am picking up a Large SJ120 Expert tommorow to test ride for the weekend! For only £30 or $50, bt if you buy the bike you get it refunded. Will that be the right size, I am 6"2 and 230LBS any recs on pressures for set up tommorow?
:cool:
Hey Stumpy98!

I am 6'3" and my LBS told me to definitely get an XL which I have done. The XL seems like a right fit to me. I guess at the end of the day it is up to you to see what is comfortable.

Also, I think if you ride more cross-country you might want to go for a larger bike (XL), while if you ride more technical, you might be able to get a away with a smaller one (L).

Pedro

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pedro2005 said:
Hey Stumpy98!

I am 6'3" and my LBS told me to definitely get an XL which I have done. The XL seems like a right fit to me. I guess at the end of the day it is up to you to see what is comfortable.

Also, I think if you ride more cross-country you might want to go for a larger bike (XL), while if you ride more technical, you might be able to get a away with a smaller one (L).

Pedro
:)
Cheers Pedro!
I will let you know how I get on. My old bike isa 98/ 20.5 inch Stumpjumper and I measured the top tube b4 I sold it 635mm, the XL SJ120 is 640, but I felt that it was bit too strectched out as I found myself looking down and getting bloody neck pains. I even changed to a riser bar, but still looking down too much. So maybe a large would be ok?
Any opinions or point in the direction of a prev thread, would b appreciated.

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UKstumpyRider said:
"anybody got any bright ideas for protecting the left side of the seatstay/forging thing from the brakeline? mine is already worn through to metal in one ride"

On my original frame (which went back for other reasons!) mine wore too. When the new frame came i noticed it had a very neatly shaped piece of helicopter type tape on there. Not done by the shop so it must be standard on the newer frames. I'm suprised yours didn't have the same :confused:

there's abit of tape there, but it wore right through :eek:
it's real muddy here, and i put my hope brakes on which have real stiff, beefy hoses, so that could be why. I might zip tie a bit of inner tube on.

·
just like a speeder-bike
329 Posts
PeeZeD said:
Yup - I do just that. Tighten her up for climbs, and plush her out for descents! - I'm constantly fiddling with it?
I'm pretty much using full firm most all the time now; except when I know I've got an extended descent, in which case I flip it down to the "deadzone" (no platform). It's pretty easy to flip on the fly.

I used to also use a middle setting for technical but relatively flat stuff, but I don't bother with that as much now. Also, in the recent muddy race I did, I left it in full firm the whole time without any problems.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I usually have the Septune on the firmest setting when climbing, then I switch it to the middle setting (4, I guess) for the horzontal if the trail is not too aggresive. If the trail is quite aggresive then I might pick between 4 and 7. Finally, I open it up for the dh.

Just my 2 cents.

Pedro

·
Registered
31 Posts
HAd my test ride!

Hey just a quick update, I took the Blue test ride SJ120, in a funky blue colour (which I didnt like) and first off I have never ridden a FS bike b4. So impressions....GOOOD, I loved it, once I got used to siitng down much more (force of habit) I found it much less bouncy than I had imagined. Firstly being 6ft 2 I thought Large to be too small and I liked the bike a lot, but the issue that UKstumpy had, about the ding in the frame after bottoming out turned up and that worried me slightly.
All in though, I am going to buy me 1 in XL! Will find out tommorow if Spec has any in stock!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts