Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sexy new Fatback frame showed up while I was away in Dallas but I got it assembled this afternoon enough for the maiden voyage in the melting snow around my house. I still need to finish up some things like getting proper zip ties, bleeding the rear brake and other "long ride ready" chores but it's looking pretty sweet! There will be some changes that affect the weight but it's 29.5 lbs right now rolling on 100's and it should stay pretty close to there after all is said and done.

More pictures and info to come on my blog, including a step by step of how to winterize the bearings and such.

Big thanks to Greg for helping me get one with sliders!

Attachments

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A. Nony Moose said:
edit: does that downtube 'twist'?
Yup, that's the Helix downtube.

No skinny wheels on this bad boy, I've got other bikes for that. As for SS, its served me well so far so we'll see how it does at the ITI :eek:

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
That's an awesome build, I love it. What's with the hundies, though? Excessive, IMHO. ;) J/K

What other options do you have for gearing? Lower than 30:22? I ran 32:20 on my 29er for crust riding and blown-out, late-season snowmobile trails last year and it was very usable. If you're committed to SS I'm sure you can find a comfortable racing gear. Snow is pretty changeable, but riding technique can overcome a lot of difficult conditions.

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Easier and harder gearing options but I'd be shocked if I changed more than a few rear teeth either way (20 to 25 rear). I've got a pretty good handle on what my body wants. Maybe snow will complicate that but I guess that's the fun of trying.

The 100s are excessive. If I wasn't going to McGrath this year and Nome in the future I would be rocking the Uma IIs. But riding is better than pushing, hence the 100s. I want to track down a Larry for the front. I've used the Endo's quite a bit and the Larry "looks" better.

·
tiny rider
623 Posts
Glad to see the bike arrived, though it's ironic that you got it built when the temp got into the high 50s. Hopefully things will freeze up again and you'll get to play in the snow.

The big question is how does it wheelie?

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cartographer said:
Glad to see the bike arrived, though it's ironic that you got it built when the temp got into the high 50s. Hopefully things will freeze up again and you'll get to play in the snow.

The big question is how does it wheelie?
Haha true. Luckily the high pressure should set up the high country riding nicely.

It wheelies pretty good. I'll try to get some shots when I'm done working on it today.

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep I'll be at the AH. Any CO people are welcome to come check it out and ride it anytime as well.

I'll have to take an end of the day picture and reweigh it later. Busy working all morning after getting back from the Depot. Oh the new stem and a Larry are in the mail as well!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.