Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i finaly got my self a downhill bike 3 weeks ago (i think).
i got a 2002 bighit from the mecanic at my work i was stoked.
so on my day off i took it to glenrock for a few runs.
on my second run i came off and destroyed my front disk, $65 down the drain.
so then i took it out two days later i had a great time i got used to the bike and stuff i was doing jumps (thats a big thing for me im not a very confident jumper)
so this morning i took it out again
i was getting more confident so i tryed a few drops i did a few simple ones at first then i tryed a bigger one i got all syked up for it
i did it but i landed akward and plowed straight it to a tree doing like 30kph

i snaped my frame at the head tube (i think thats what it is called) and twisted my forks:madman: :madman: :madman:
im so devo but im just taking it
i sould not have been doing things that i do not have enuf skill to do

now what im getting here is sould i just buy a new frame or get it welded back together
im leaning towards just getting a new frame because welding it will make it very weak am i right

sorry about the spelling:p

peace todd:D :D :D

p.s. im fine just a sore thum and cruch :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
118 Posts
the most important thing in this story is, I believe, that you are OK. I would also just buy a new frame instead, you never have full confidence in a re-welded one :)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
get a new frame. if you can that it. the only thing better than opening a big box and seeing a shiny new frame....is opening a even bigger box and seeing a shiny new bike

glad your OK!

·
Registered
456 Posts
sounds like you had a great time wile it lasted!!!! and yeah DH does put you in the poor house (apparently you didn't get the memo) a new frame would be your only real choice right now, b/c who knows where else the frame is weakened from the crash.
-good luck and Ill see you out there!!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
warranty

You need to turn your story into a "just riding along and the headtube fell off" and get that thing warrantied ;)

A rule of thumb is to never re-weld aluminum frames. All you are doing is wasting money and asking for trouble. Steel on the other hand is possible but there are not many steel bike frames out there unless you are a roadie so not really applicable.

I would also like to see pics. Both of the bike and the drop. You also must be a pretty good crasher to come away with as little injury as you did from a wreck that broke a bighit. That is possibly the most valuable skill you can ever have when DH'ing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have an 02 BigHit and the thing is as strong as a tank. If you ripped the head tube off and are still alive I need pictures as well before I believe it.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
aenema said:
You need to turn your story into a "just riding along and the headtube fell off" and get that thing warrantied ;)

I would also like to see pics. Both of the bike and the drop. You also must be a pretty good crasher to come away with as little injury as you did from a wreck that broke a bighit. That is possibly the most valuable skill you can ever have when DH'ing.
Quoted for high truth value.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
welcome to the forum....sorry about your misfortune.....Specialized might have a crash replacement for you. You pay some cash and you need to get a new rear wheeel because that bike has a 24 inch rear and the new bikes have 26

·
Registered
997 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
welcome to the forum....sorry about your misfortune.....Specialized might have a crash replacement for you. You pay some cash and you need to get a new rear wheeel because that bike has a 24 inch rear and the new bikes have 26
They still offer the 24 inch version.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
$65 for a disc!? Lesson two in downhilling is find a cheap source for replacement parts. Should have been $20-$25.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
"sorry for the spelling" -- chuckle, yeah, as l was reading along, l'm thinking: man, spell-check much?

that blows about the bike. since you're a second owner, not much chance of any warranty.

what rotor are you buying that was $65?

what, no pics?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Aluminum has a limited fatigue life. After a certain number of stress cycles, it will fail. The frame may have already developed a crack that he hadn't noticed.

Though I would like to see pictures.

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
Are you in Australia? Glenrock sounds like a familiar name and it would explain the $65 rotor.
(just checked your profile - you are in Oz! G'day!)

If you are in Oz and seriously thinking about getting the frame fixed up then I wouldn't go to anyone other than Gripsport...
http://www.gripsport.com.au/bike_main.php

But of course I'd probably check out the Forums / Ebay for a good deal on something better.

·
Registered
64 Posts
so i love my big hit 06 except for the small runs big and i am 5'6" so go for a new frame welding is a cheap way out but weakens the frame. i want a transition bottle rocket because it fits nicely with my size. a shop mechanic i know at a lbs bought a giant faith to replace his old big hit he didnt like the 24 rear said it got held up on obstacles. i have the new big hit the first year they redesigned the bike i got mine complete for 1200 from an lbs. if u liked your big hit check out www.craigslist.com i live in Colorado and some one is selling an older big hit for i believe 400 with some parts too

·
I can ride a two-wheeler
647 Posts
since specialized only lifetime warraties the first owner...

ask the guy who sold you the bike if he could ship it back to Specialized under his name as a warranty issue?

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
what a bummer dude. Definately get a new frame. Welding is not an option. You should be able to find some good deals this time of the year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts