Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm kinda new here but didn't really find a forum to introduce myself.
My name is bram van Ermingen and I'm 24yo.
I live in the south of the Netherlands (where there are some hills).

Recently my shifter on my bike (ClubRoost DH8) died :madman: .
It's currently equipped with an 8 speed Shimano Deore XT, a blackspire so no front gear changes possible.
My brakes are Hayes Nine so I can't use anything brake/shifter integrated.

I have looked on chainreaction, ebay and even some Dutch site, but couldn't find anything 8 speed from Shimano really.

I don't really know what my options are. Maybe change to 9 speed? Or isn't that possible on an 8 speed setup?

Or maybe someone has some old stuff for sale?

Thanks 4 helping out:thumbsup: . Riding without gears is NOT cool...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

8 speed is going out of fashion, so it can be tough to find parts for it.

-Converting to 9 speed is relatively simple. You need three parts: a new chain, new cassette, and new shifters. The derailer is cross-compatible. It's not too hard to do the swap, but there are some special tools that a local bike shop would have. It's a reasonable option, and will make finding new parts in the future easier.

-You could also convert it to 8 speed thumbies. A set of road bike bar end shifters mounted to Paul's Mountain thumby perches would be a great, albeit expensive setup.They're durable as hell. If you can find older thumbies, those work great too (I'm running a set of 20 yr old 5-speed Deore shifters on my 8 speed Kona).

Ideally, I would take the bike into a bike shop. It'll be much more helpful than a bunch of people from the internet.

·
Registered
353 Posts
OP, there are plenty of alternatives if you're not too bothered about matching hierachy or the generation of your broken shifter.

Any 8-speed Shimano shifter (apart from shifters for internal hub gears) will work, eg SL-R440, SL-M410, SL-MC20, SL-MC40 etc...

SRAM Rocket and Attack - 8-speed versions of these can still be found on ebay.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Ideally, I would take the bike into a bike shop. It'll be much more helpful than a bunch of people from the internet.
Lots of people who work in bike shops also use the internet. The words you see on the screen are written by people.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
What's wrong with your shifter? Old Shimano shifters often have a problem with the grease thickening after some years and then the thumb lever not engaging. This can be fixed by cleaning out the grease and repacking, or just squirt a lot of silicon spray into them.

Tim

·
Feeling retro..but Jung
223 Posts
I saw some 8 spd XTR pods on Ebay.de..a couple of days ago when I got my cassette..when I get home and can access e-bay I'll post a link

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Wombat said:
What's wrong with your shifter? Old Shimano shifters often have a problem with the grease thickening after some years and then the thumb lever not engaging. This can be fixed by cleaning out the grease and repacking, or just squirt a lot of silicon spray into them.

Tim
This is very common...WD40 (Shimano Shifter Overhaul in a Can) will loosen and break down the old grease and get the shifter moving again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
a pin on the inside of the shifter has broken off. i didn't know i have so many options. i think i'll start looking for some used or 2nd hand stuff on ebay or something.

i'll keep you guys updated

thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
mentalernie said:
100% sure this is an 8 speed shifter?
JensonUSA said:
SRAM 2005-06 Attack 8speed rear Trigger shifter can be used in conjunction with SRAM or Shimano rear derailleurs.
The price at Chain Reaction (link) isn't a million miles away, and you'll get it quicker.

·
Feeling retro..but Jung
223 Posts
mentalernie said:
Hi,

I'm kinda new here but didn't really find a forum to introduce myself.
My name is bram van Ermingen and I'm 24yo.
I live in the south of the Netherlands (where there are some hills).

Recently my shifter on my bike (ClubRoost DH8) died :madman: .
It's currently equipped with an 8 speed Shimano Deore XT, a blackspire so no front gear changes possible.
My brakes are Hayes Nine so I can't use anything brake/shifter integrated.

I have looked on chainreaction, ebay and even some Dutch site, but couldn't find anything 8 speed from Shimano really.

I don't really know what my options are. Maybe change to 9 speed? Or isn't that possible

http://cgi.ebay.de/Schalthebel-Shim...ort_Radsport_Fahrradteile?hash=item3a56a85317

http://cgi.ebay.de/Shimano-Schalthe...ort_Radsport_Fahrradteile?hash=item35a5c2f082

http://cgi.ebay.de/Shimano-Schalthe...ort_Radsport_Fahrradteile?hash=item45ef0a062f

There you go!!!

and riding without gears is very cool...come see me in Stuttgart and I'll let you rike mine without gears and you'll see..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ordered a shifter in the USA. Doesn't bother me if I have to wait a couple of days.
We have crappy weather at the moment, so that doesn't really matter.

Payed something like $40, that's €26 or someting... I'll save €13. That's like 30%...

Just hope my bike guy (read friend who knows a thing or two about bikes) can install my new shifter properly

1 - 15 of 15 Posts