Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Don't Stop Spinnin'!
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this frame a few months ago only because I got a good deal on it and because it's the Anodized Orange I always wanted but got discontinued after 05' I think.

After a few months of it sitting around, I decided it was time to build her. But with a touch of gold bling!

here are the components...
-Industry Nine hubs with Industry Nine gold spokes on Stans rims.
-Kenda sb8 tubeless front and rear.
-09' Fox F100
-XTR Shadow Rear derailleur
-XTR Front derailleur
-XTR Shifters
-XTR Crankset with BB (GF's X-mas gift)
-XTR SPD pedals
-XTR Cassette
-Gold Chris King Headset
-Hope Gold Skewers (waiting for arrival)
-Hope Gold stem
-Hope Gold seat collar
-KMC Gold chain
-Nokon Gold cable housing
-Origin 8 Carbon/gold bottle cage
-Selle Italia SLR carbon (Buddy's X-mas gift)
-Ergon GX1 Grips
-Avid Juicy Seven Brakes (had them laying around, will upgrade)
-Fox RP23 (waiting on arrival)
-Thomson Elite seatpost
-Easton EC90 handlebar

here are some pics... Not built yet. Maybe this weekend.

Here is a pic of my current race machine. Cant wait for it's sister to be done!

·
Don't Stop Spinnin'!
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gticlay said:
Make sure you post pics when done. I didn't get along with the Superlight (too little travel...) but I still like the old version like you have.
works great for me. I really dont need much travel here in south florida. we need something pretty fast and light.

should build sometime this week. just waiting on the rp23.

·
Propr
1,192 Posts
ReD-

What's the normal length of the steer tube for a fork going on the SL?

I'm building one myself and my fork is coming on Monday. Thought I'd just drop it off at a LBS and have them cut it to size and install the parts for the head set...

·
Don't Stop Spinnin'!
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lowball said:
ReD-

What's the normal length of the steer tube for a fork going on the SL?

I'm building one myself and my fork is coming on Monday. Thought I'd just drop it off at a LBS and have them cut it to size and install the parts for the head set...
well, i wanted it to be exactly like my current white SL. So, i just cut it the same size.
my suggestion... (which is what i did when building the white one) take headset, stem, and spacers to your lbs and have them cut it to fit one or two extra thin spacers so you could adjust the stems height until you find the right geometry for you. once you find a comfortable height (after a few rides) take the bike back and cut the excess steer tube if needed.

·
Propr
1,192 Posts
ReD_tomato said:
well, i wanted it to be exactly like my current white SL. So, i just cut it the same size.
my suggestion... (which is what i did when building the white one) take headset, stem, and spacers to your lbs and have them cut it to fit one or two extra thin spacers so you could adjust the stems height until you find the right geometry for you. once you find a comfortable height (after a few rides) take the bike back and cut the excess steer tube if needed.
Good suggestion...I know there is a few things to consider...especially since everyone's different. Just looking for a number then I can adjust as needed per your suggestion. ;)

·
Don't Stop Spinnin'!
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tryallrider said:
I wasn't too sure about the orange/gold mix but it came out mighty nice, sweet build congrats!

Great way to start the new year eh!:thumbsup:
lol... i wasnt sure about it either untill I started building. I was happy with the combo at the end. :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Very smart build you got there :) Whats the weight?

Dude, is it possibly for a shot of the left hand crank by the bb. Reason i ask as i have the same cranks on my lt2 and unsure i have fitted them right.

Cheers elliott.

·
Don't Stop Spinnin'!
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Elliott_MBR said:

Dude, is it possibly for a shot of the left hand crank by the bb. Reason i ask as i have the same cranks on my lt2 and unsure i have fitted them right.

Cheers elliott.
no prob. i'll snap the pic tomorrow. it's a little heavier than i expected. 25.2 lbs (w/the old fox float shock) should drop a few after the rp23 goes on there.

·
Registered
255 Posts
This may help

Elliott_MBR said:

Cheers elliott.
Alot of people have that problem with the new XTR cranks. Once you get the bottom bracket sorted, tighten down the left side arm and then back the retaining nut out towards the crank. Tighten the 2mm bolt and your all set. That will cost you a ice cold Sam Adams if your ever in South Florida.

·
Registered
130 Posts
mbernard71 said:
Alot of people have that problem with the new XTR cranks. Once you get the bottom bracket sorted, tighten down the left side arm and then back the retaining nut out towards the crank. Tighten the 2mm bolt and your all set. That will cost you a ice cold Sam Adams if your ever in South Florida.
Well i tightened the bb up with one spacer on the driveside, then tighten the end bolt. Unscrew that cap thing till it touched the bb cup then lock the 2mm bolt. Wrong? there is a gap is this fitted ok? picture to show

Sorry to steal your thread dude, how do you reckon those cables and chain will hold up in wet weather or do you not have that your way?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Elliott_MBR said:
Well i tightened the bb up with one spacer on the driveside, then tighten the end bolt. Unscrew that cap thing till it touched the bb cup then lock the 2mm bolt. Wrong? there is a gap is this fitted ok? picture to show

Sorry to steal your thread dude, how do you reckon those cables and chain will hold up in wet weather or do you not have that your way?
Now back that retaining nut out towards the crank arm, tighten the 2mm bolt and your good to go. I know it doesn't seem right but the new XTR are kind of like a press/spline type fitting. Do you have more pictures of your bike on here? It's looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey, that's one sexy bike.
I'm doing the similar thing except I'm building on with a black frame. Just out of curiosity,
how much did you invest on the whole golden parts (w/o frames, crankset, etc)

·
Don't Stop Spinnin'!
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yee0890 said:
Hey, that's one sexy bike.
I'm doing the similar thing except I'm building on with a black frame. Just out of curiosity,
how much did you invest on the whole golden parts (w/o frames, crankset, etc)
In just gold parts? off the top of my head...

Gold Chris King
Gold Hope Skewers
Gold Hope Stem
Gold Hope Seat Collar
Gold KMC chain
Gold Nokon Cables/Housing
Gold Industry Nine Wheels

About $1250

·
Registered
130 Posts
mbernard71 said:
Now back that retaining nut out towards the crank arm, tighten the 2mm bolt and your good to go. I know it doesn't seem right but the new XTR are kind of like a press/spline type fitting. Do you have more pictures of your bike on here? It's looks pretty cool.
Problem is if i do that there is a gap between the arm and bb cup. Is the arm not done up tight enough?

I have done it up pretty tight with a long 8mm with a spanner on, havn't had the chance to bring it to work to torgue it, but surely it isn't goin to go on anymore. Thats the reason why i backed the retainer nut towards the cup.

I don't have any decent pictures of my bike on this forum actually, here is a link http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=5092226&postcount=7 obvoiusly before i cut the steerer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.