Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A year ago I attempted to ride Skeggs everything for the first time right before leaving for college, but my rear derailleur broke less than a third of the way into the ride. With some zip ties, a bungee cord, and a little ingenuity, I managed to go quite a bit farther.
Bicycle part Bicycle tire Bicycle drivetrain part Bicycle Bicycle chain

However, two thirds of the way in I had further mechanical problems and had to walk out.
Wheel Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim

This shows where I got to on the route the first time: Skeggs Everything Attempt - San Mateo, California

Yesterday I started the route at 7:30 AM after not sleeping the prior night. One five hour energy, one crash (that resulted in a lost GPS), one pedal body slipping of its axle, and seven caffeinated gels later, I finally got back to CM08 at 6:00 PM completing the route in a moderate time of ten hours and thirty minutes.

This was the hardest ride I've ever done, but it was well worth it. Now I just need to work on improving my time!

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
Add one more hardy rider to the Skeggs Everything board!
Added one more to Skeggs Everything Hall of Fame . Knowing what I know, I dare to say you must be the youngest one to have completed this ride! Nice job and congratulations!

Did you not eat any solid food on the ride at all? That amount of gels would mess up my stomach for sure.

Hope the GPS finds it way back to you.

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,230 Posts
And on no sleep! Way to go... that's what they call "the fever".

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you not eat any solid food on the ride at all? That amount of gels would mess up my stomach for sure.

Hope the GPS finds it way back to you.
I also had two and a half protein bars (Probar Core, 290 Cal and 420 mg sodium per bar).

On my way out on North Leaf I passed by a couple riders heading the opposite direction up to Skeggs Point. I asked them to keep an eye out for it and I gave them my number. Surprisingly enough, they found it so I'll probably get it back from them in the next couple of days!

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
That's such a lovely story, Michael!

Oh, and knowing what I know, I dare to say, you are most likely not even half the average age of the rest of the finishers. You should be very proud of yourself.

What's your next big goal?

·
More pie please
2,006 Posts
Added one more to Skeggs Everything Hall of Fame . Knowing what I know, I dare to say you must be the youngest one to have completed this ride! Nice job and congratulations!
What mudworm is omitting out of modesty is that last weekend she completed Skeggs Everything for the fourth time (with MrMud, his 2nd).

I'd like to try the Hard COEre 100 at some point. I'm not sure if I'll be in good enough shape by fall 2014.
I'd say you're within reach of the 2013 100km version.

///Charlie

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
Skyline35 said:
... for the fourth time ...
Ahh... Good to have Skeggs as a fallback when we couldn't think of anything else to do.

michael1 said:
I'd like to try the Hard COEre 100 at some point.
:thumbsup:

Skyline35 said:
I'd say you're within reach of the 2013 100km version.
Ditto! Some familiarity with the park won't hurt.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
Chk chk chk... Tainted!

... Just kidding. I apologize for stereotyping, but I did think to myself, "a 19 year old, careless and forgetful as all young men are, he had to have missed some little things." So, I looked and I was amazed that you did not miss any little out and backs (except for the one you mentioned). Not only that, just between you and me, it seems that you forced yourself onto the closed area between CM03 and CM04 too! What was your exit strategy if you had been caught by a ranger? You must have had one right? I remember riding at Coe back country after hearing about the gun holding private property owner, I developed an exit strategy -- if caught, I'd cry.

Oh, Charlie would point out that you missed going to the iconic Skeggs Point (parking lot). It's not your fault as it was not on the original design, but under his pressure, I have always incorporated riding through the parking lot into my subsequent rides. You did get the new Molder Trail though. It's an easy one to miss!

Well, again, nice job, and extra kudos for being so young!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts