Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My search has ended. Drove an hour this morning out to Amish country in PA and bought a Trance X 29 2. Wow, I can't believe how well it rides and it's actually lighter than the 30 year old, no suspension, Schwinn it replaces. There were none of these to be found anywhere near Philly, so I was surprised that there were a number of these in stock at the LBS 1.5 hours from Philly. The sales guy said that most of the bikes in the shop were from orders they had placed last year and this is what was left, though they still had a ton of bikes in the shop.

This is my first suspension bike so there's a learning curve here, but I really want to replace the Giant grips, put some frame protection tape on the down tube underside, and probably put on a small MTB front fender.

All suggestions on accessories are welcomed! Looking forward to getting this thing dirty. :) Thanks.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I’m a huge fan of PNW Loam Grips. Ridding flats, Race Face Chesters are a solid choice for pedals without breaking the bank. If you want to go hog wild, I like the One Up Aluminum pedals. The pin heads are recessed so you can still remove them after you mess the pins up with pedal strikes. A discovery I made this week, is Camelbak Podium bottles have a optional cap for the nozzle. Not drinking dirt and horse poo with water is amazing.

Lastly the current what do you carry on your bike thread has lots of great suggestions. Getting your kit dialed will take trail and error.

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a huge fan of PNW Loam Grips. Ridding flats, Race Face Chesters are a solid choice for pedals without breaking the bank. If you want to go hog wild, I like the One Up Aluminum pedals. The pin heads are recessed so you can still remove them after you mess the pins up with pedal strikes. A discovery I made this week, is Camelbak Podium bottles have a optional cap for the nozzle. Not drinking dirt and horse poo with water is amazing.

Lastly the current what do you carry on your bike thread has lots of great suggestions. Getting your kit dialed will take trail and error.
Thanks for pointing me to the 'what do you carry on your bike' thread. I'll check it out. Pedals: I had picked up these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K7FHDPR/) last month when I ordered a Ragley Big Al from CRC, but they cancelled my order (lack of stock) so I decided to look for a full sus. I'll look at the PNW Loam Grips. Good deal on the bottle cap - that is a good idea! Really looking forward to riding this.

·
MTBR Member since 2001...
331 Posts
@BRnPA ,
After following your other thread... Happy NBD to you!

Congrats on the bike. My first hard tail was a Giant. Decent company. My buddy bought a Trance last year. His first FS MTB. He likes it. Great upgrade for you.

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@BRnPA ,
After following your other thread... Happy NBD to you!

Congrats on the bike. My first hard tail was a Giant. Decent company. My buddy bought a Trance last year. His first FS MTB. He likes it. Great upgrade for you.
Thanks! I was waiting for the Ripley AF but in talking with two separate dealers, they said it wouldn't be until next year, and they weren't even sure when next year. I just happened to call two Giant dealers within reasonable driving distance and one had the Trance in a large. I figured that it was better to pull the trigger and ride now than wait until next year (because Covid could rear its head even larger in the Winter) so 'bird in the hand'. Looking forward to ripping with it.

·
331 Posts
Giant is well established and has put R&D into their Maestro suspension. In case the LBS didn't set up the suspension for you, grab a shock pump so you can fine tune your suspension after a few rides.

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Giant is well established and has put R&D into their Maestro suspension. In case the LBS didn't set up the suspension for you, grab a shock pump so you can fine tune your suspension after a few rides.
Yeah, the LBS guys were great! Converted my tires to tubeless (no charge), adjusted my suspension based on my weight, and installed the pedals I brought with me. Very happy with them. I just wish they weren't an hour away...
I'm ordering some stuff today, including a shock pump. :)
(Actually, there's a Giant LBS about 10 minutes from my house but they are out of bikes, but I can take it there if there are warranty issues).

·
331 Posts
Sounds like they took good care of you. Good to establish a relationship at some level with a local shop. You can do your own work, but sometimes you need something and if you have a relationship it helps when you need a part fast.

Enjoy the bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My search has ended. Drove an hour this morning out to Amish country in PA and bought a Trance X 29 2. Wow, I can't believe how well it rides and it's actually lighter than the 30 year old, no suspension, Schwinn it replaces. There were none of these to be found anywhere near Philly, so I was surprised that there were a number of these in stock at the LBS 1.5 hours from Philly. The sales guy said that most of the bikes in the shop were from orders they had placed last year and this is what was left, though they still had a ton of bikes in the shop.

This is my first suspension bike so there's a learning curve here, but I really want to replace the Giant grips, put some frame protection tape on the down tube underside, and probably put on a small MTB front fender.

All suggestions on accessories are welcomed! Looking forward to getting this thing dirty. :) Thanks.
Congrats on the new bike! I've tried several brands of grips and styles and have settled on a brand that just feel amazing. Ergon. I use Ergon Fats. They're lock ons and are rad looking as well. They fit my hands so perfect and I've used them for 2 years now. Amazing grips and good price. Their saddles are unreal also. Amazing too quality too. Highly recommended brand.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Get a longer dropper post...

Apparently in Giant land, they've all got short legs!?

I'm particular to Chromag grips...

You'll also wanna upgrade OEM tyres to something burlier.

On my '20 Giant Reign Adv 27.5, I'm running a 2.6 Magic Mary up front and a 2.6 Specialized Eliminator out back.

Front is probably equivalent to Maxxis DD and the rear is DH thickness.

It's my park/shuttle bike.

So, thicker rubber is required.

You'll want Exo+ front and DD rear, for peace of mind.

Especially if it's your quiver killer

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Get a longer dropper post...

Apparently in Giant land, they've all got short legs!?

I'm particular to Chromag grips...

You'll also wanna upgrade OEM tyres to something burlier.

On my '20 Giant Reign Adv 27.5, I'm running a 2.6 Magic Mary up front and a 2.6 Specialized Eliminator out back.

Front is probably equivalent to Maxxis DD and the rear is DH thickness.

It's my park/shuttle bike.

So, thicker rubber is required.

You'll want Exo+ front and DD rear, for peace of mind.

Especially if it's your quiver killer

Sent from my Asus Rog 3
Man, my wife will kill me if I start dropping $$ like a drunken sailor on this bike. I need to pace it. :)
At this point, the tires are Maxxis Minion DHF EXO 2.5 (F) and Maxxis Dissector EXO 2.4 (R)
I've read good things about the Magic Mary. That might be a nice option up front.
Right now I want to install some clear helicopter UV tape on the down tube and on other spots which are prone to get paint dings, some upgraded grips and a MTB front fender. I'll start riding it and incrementally upgrade it. :)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Man, my wife will kill me if I start dropping $$ like a drunken sailor on this bike. I need to pace it. :)
At this point, the tires are Maxxis Minion DHF EXO 2.5 (F) and Maxxis Dissector EXO 2.4 (R)
I've read good things about the Magic Mary. That might be a nice option up front.
Right now I want to install some clear helicopter UV tape on the down tube and on other spots which are prone to get paint dings, some upgraded grips and a MTB front fender. I'll start riding it and incrementally upgrade it. :)
Those tires are fine. That's the combo I'm running out here is rocky AZ.

Huge thing to do, get a plug kit, and practice on an old tire. Know how to use your Co2 or pump on the trail. A 3-4 mile ride is pretty easy, turn that into a 3-4 mile hike a bike and you'll be pissed.

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those tires are fine. That's the combo I'm running out here is rocky AZ.

Huge thing to do, get a plug kit, and practice on an old tire. Know how to use your Co2 or pump on the trail. A 3-4 mile ride is pretty easy, turn that into a 3-4 mile hike a bike and you'll be pissed.
Excellent advice. I've been on some road bike rides (NYC 5 Borough Bike Tour) with flats in the middle. No fun! Plug kit is a little different procedure. Thanks!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm a huge fan of PNW Loam Grips. Ridding flats, Race Face Chesters are a solid choice for pedals without breaking the bank. If you want to go hog wild, I like the One Up Aluminum pedals. The pin heads are recessed so you can still remove them after you mess the pins up with pedal strikes. A discovery I made this week, is Camelbak Podium bottles have a optional cap for the nozzle. Not drinking dirt and horse poo with water is amazing.

I just bought the Trance X3 and I bought the Chesters...simply because I figured the bottom bracket being so low will destroy anything I put on. And I was right about that! Probably had 10 pedal strikes during my first ride last night. I usually can get Chesters for $37 bucks on Amazon but I was in a pinch at the LBS when I picked the bike up...and they hit me for $57.

But I'd love to throw a set of One Ups Aluminums on it - that's probably one of the nicest pedals I've personally seen/ridden on - two of my buddies have them and they rave about them, and how long they've lasted - one guy is going on two years with them.

And I'm definitely going to need new grips on this thing...the stock grips feel squishy and they're already moving around (they don't have any clamps on them).

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just bought the Trance X3 and I bought the Chesters...simply because I figured the bottom bracket being so low will destroy anything I put on. And I was right about that! Probably had 10 pedal strikes during my first ride last night. I usually can get Chesters for $37 bucks on Amazon but I was in a pinch at the LBS when I picked the bike up...and they hit me for $57.

But I'd love to throw a set of One Ups Aluminums on it - that's probably one of the nicest pedals I've personally seen/ridden on - two of my buddies have them and they rave about them, and how long they've lasted - one guy is going on two years with them.

And I'm definitely going to need new grips on this thing...the stock grips feel squishy and they're already moving around (they don't have any clamps on them).
Thanks for the note on the pedal strikes. That's the only issue I can see with this bike but having the flip chip should really help. I'm planning to ride mine this weekend: Ordered loam grips, bash guard, silicone crank tip protectors, and some helicopter UV protection take that I'll apply to the frame before I initially ride. Probably have that stuff installed by Friday and then I can ride! (Oh, and irony of all ironies - I received an email from Jenson bikes last night. They had a Ripley AF in large come in!! $3500.00. I knew that would happen as soon as I bought the Giant. :) ).

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

Thanks for the note on the pedal strikes. That's the only issue I can see with this bike but having the flip chip should really help. I'm planning to ride mine this weekend: Ordered loam grips, bash guard, silicone crank tip protectors, and some helicopter UV protection take that I'll apply to the frame before I initially ride. Probably have that stuff installed by Friday and then I can ride! (Oh, and irony of all ironies - I received an email from Jenson bikes last night. They had a Ripley AF in large come in!! $3500.00. I knew that would happen as soon as I bought the Giant. :) ).
My Fezzari has a lower BB like the Trance. I took me a while to get used to it and avoid pedal strikes. But after a few months, it (I) got better and it doesn't happen as much now.

·
Registered
2022 Ibis Ripmo AF 2020 Intense Tazer MX Expert
319 Posts
Great Score! I have the Trance 29 2 and Id love to upgrade to the X. Im a huge fan of Oury grips.... You may look into upgrading the seat next,the stock Giant seat kinda sucks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.