Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Lazy People Suck
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, I did a group ride at one of our local trails. I got there about an hour before the group ride to get in a lap or two on my own before everyone got there. As I was on the backside of the trail high above the river, I crested a little rise to find 2 large Dobermans standing in the trail.

They were as startled as I was and immediately took a very aggressive posture with ears pinned back and teeth bared and coming towards me. I immediately got off my bike and put it between the dogs and I and took a very authoritative tone to try to get get them to back off. They would back off a bit and then get braver again and creep back towards me until I yelled at them again. Although it was probably just a few minutes, but the stalemate seemed to last forever.

They finally backed off one time enough that I jumped on my bike and hauled ass the other way and they immediately took up the chase. One of them gave up pretty quickly, but after a couple of hundred yards it became apparent that the second one was going to catch me. I stopped and became very aggressive and loud to it and I guess it sensed it no longer had numbers on me, backed off and let me go. I rode back the other way and jumped on the road as soon as possible.

We did not see them again on the group ride. I saw a parks person and told her about it and she said that a house across from the park has a bunch of dogs that get loose and get into the park, but they have never bitten anyone. It did not make me feel any better. My adrenaline is rushing just typing this. Nothing that I would want to have happen again.

·
Nu-School Trail Rat
249 Posts
Dogs are the biggest pain and nuisance on some of the trails where I live.

90% seem to be well behaved but there is always the unpredictability factor.

Carrying pepper spray/mace would be a good idea - give the owner a blast also if they can't control their beasts.

Personally I would be happy if dogs did not exist but I know many people love them.

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
Evil Patrick said:
In your case, that would have been a pretty scary encounter. The only other option might
have been to say "Where's the kitty? Where's the kitty?" or "FRISBEE?" and then pretend
to throw something.

:lol: :lol:
or "Look, defenseless babies"

·
Certified Porsche Tech
117 Posts
Really seems you handled it well. I takes some balls to be authoritative to a dog and when you're actually tipping towards the scared sh*tless scale. (been there)

Like the idea of carrying pepper spray to hose down the dumbarse owner.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Now if you were carrying a Glock you could'a pooped a cap in them Mofos. The owner too once you found their address on the doggie tag.

Now stop being a pansy and make sure you're packing next time!

·
Registered
24 Posts
It sounds like you did the right thing. I'm glad you are alright.

Although some people are responding like they are bad-azzes, I'm sure they would be empathetic as soon as they were in the same situation.

I had started thinking about what to do when faced with dogs last week.
Hit a wrong turn on a trail I've taken a many times and came down the hill into the middle of a pitbull farm. The old lady there motioned me to go on through the dozen or so barking dogs to get to the road out of there. I was sure happy they were all chained up.

Anyways, one dog attacks, sure. Most people shouldn't have much problem fending it off with a bike or some tool. But two or more? What do you do? How do you defend yourself against a pack of dogs?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I can only imagine how frightening this must have been... sounds like you handled it very well, but at the same time, were also very lucky that only 1 of them really chased you. As soon as I read that you turned around and started hauling ass, I just KNEW they were going to chase you.. that's what dogs do. Not sure I would have had the balls to do the same thing but I probably wouldn't have lasted as long in the first place, so good on ya for making it out unscathed.

Stuff like this is really frustrating to hear about, you could have sustained very serious injuries had you not handled it so well. Someone ought to notify the authorities and let them take care of the owner, this stuff should not be happening.

·
Registered
751 Posts
rkj__ said:
Err, dogs can be a hazard

that video is hilarious. that "what the hell did i do?" look that the dog gives the camera at the end is priceless.

as for the doberman incident, i don't know what the hell i'd do. i suppose i'd try looking for a big sharp stick or a nice rock to bash their heads in if they attacked, but i just don't know. ****ing inconsiderate people

·
ride like you stole it
680 Posts
you handled everything pretty well up to the point that you tried too book out of there. In situations like this running away can turn on the animals predator, prey instinct thus the chase. I know it's sh!t your pants scary but you need to stand your ground, be dominant and back off slowly until you are far enough away for the dogs to be comfortable again and then book out of there. The big deal here is that you display calm dominant energy, because unless your dealing with a naturally submissive animal, yelling will just rile it up more.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Wow scary story! I've come across some mean dogs while hiking. That is why I also bring my 9mm. I would have probably not even hesitated to shoot both of the dogs. I've done it before. I ended up shooting someone's german shepherd on a hiking trail that was off it's leash. It came after me and wouldn't back down. Fired 2 warning shots, one in the air and one by the dog, it just kept coming, so I shot the dog. The owner came around the bend of the trail about 2 minutes later screaming at me and threatening to call the police and have me arrested for animal cruelty. Some people are so stupid!

1 - 20 of 138 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.