Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my Scalpel turned into a frog..

after nearly two months of waiting, my Cannondale dealer called to inform that my frame is here :thumbsup:





I guess its my turn to turn green...ribit :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
oops forgot to mention but this is a warranty frame replacement for my 2008 scalpel team

love the C'dale service and warranty :thumbsup:

@ Dan (lol) - thanks again for the wealth of info you pm'd me :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
spartan23 said:
oops forgot to mention but this is a warranty frame replacement for my 2008 scalpel team



love the C'dale service and warranty :thumbsup:

@ Dan (lol) - thanks again for the wealth of info you pm'd me :cool:
What happened to your 2008 scalpel team?

Nice car by the way! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my 08 scalpel team had a creeking noise that the C'dale dealer couldnt solve. They tried replacing the BB bearings, replace/ service frog link bearings, took the brakes apart etc and still creeks.

C'dale rep also inspected the bike and couldnt figure out so they decided to warranty the frame :D

thanks, good to see other auto enthusiast here :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
spartan23 said:
my 08 scalpel team had a creeking noise that the C'dale dealer couldnt solve. They tried replacing the BB bearings, replace/ service frog link bearings, took the brakes apart etc and still creeks.

C'dale rep also inspected the bike and couldnt figure out so they decided to warranty the frame :D

thanks, good to see other auto enthusiast here :thumbsup:
That's a nice upgrade! ;) How bad was the creaking noise?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wrxsti08 said:
That's a nice upgrade! ;) How bad was the creaking noise?
it was liveable but annoyed the crap out of me at times :D .

my 08 frame is in better condition than most frames I've seen due to custom "3m clear bra protection" :thumbsup:

I've logged over 2000 miles on her (1.5 years of ownership) the frame is spotless :cool:
 

·
LA CHÈVRE
Joined
·
9,429 Posts
I actually did some voodoo on your bike so you'd have to change it, looks a bit too much like mine! ;)

Seriously, it's my pleasure to share some knowledge. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
spartan23 glad to see back. I wondered where you when? MIA.
Nice frame. Love the colour.:thumbsup:

Make's me want to change my Scalpel to a frog too. So it will match up with my Flash frog:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
spartan23 said:
my 08 scalpel team had a creeking noise that the C'dale dealer couldnt solve. They tried replacing the BB bearings, replace/ service frog link bearings, took the brakes apart etc and still creeks.

C'dale rep also inspected the bike and couldnt figure out so they decided to warranty the frame :D

thanks, good to see other auto enthusiast here :thumbsup:
Oh nooooooo I'm super panicked now as my 2010 team scalpel arrived today and it is creaking like crazy and making me crazier.... Moment the bike shop opens tomorrow I will purchase myself some lube and dismantle the frog link as this is where I really trust the creaking is coming from....????
Bike looks super trick and I'm hoping tomorrow I can rectify this major major annoyance and finally be at peace to enjoy this piece of art.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
XgreygOOse said:
spartan23 glad to see back. I wondered where you when? MIA.
Nice frame. Love the colour.:thumbsup:

Make's me want to change my Scalpel to a frog too. So it will match up with my Flash frog:D
hey Xgreyg00se- go for it, just complain to your C'dale dealer about some creaking noise and they will turn your scalpel into a frog :D

wow- nice flash you have there :eekster:
 

·
Tool
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
bermudarocks said:
Oh nooooooo I'm super panicked now as my 2010 team scalpel arrived today and it is creaking like crazy and making me crazier.... Moment the bike shop opens tomorrow I will purchase myself some lube and dismantle the frog link as this is where I really trust the creaking is coming from....????
You are right that the frog link is a common source of creaking noises on the Scalpel. Unfortunately, it seems a lot of them ship without being properly lubricated. Pulling it apart, cleaning and greasing everything should keep it quiet for a long time, and it's relatively easy to do.

Note that the eye reducers on the rear of the shock are removable.

While you've got the linkage apart, check to make sure the bearings are fully seated in the frog link - I received a replacement link once that did not have all the bearings properly seated, making the assembly much more prone to creaking. A socket set and a vise are all you need to press the bearings fully in (unless you have a real bearing press, of course).

-Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
spartan23 said:
hey Xgreyg00se- go for it, just complain to your C'dale dealer about some creaking noise and they will turn your scalpel into a frog :D

wow- nice flash you have there :eekster:
Any photo's of your new frog, I mean the Scalpel CFR:) yet? R you putting back the parts from your Team 08 or did you get new stuff? Love to see bike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
XgreygOOse said:
Any photo's of your new frog, I mean the Scalpel CFR:) yet? R you putting back the parts from your Team 08 or did you get new stuff? Love to see bike
here's a before and after shots..
2008 Scalpel Team Replica


2010 Cannondale Factory Racing (team replica)


The 2010 CFR is definitely lighter than my 2008 scalpel team. I weighed the before and after (without cf cage and 3m film), the difference is 54g.

I'll weigh her again after I install the cage and 3m film for a better weight comparison.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
2010 lighter than 2008??

eliflap said:
which size ? M or L ?

only magnesium frog the difference ?
I have a medium. I dont know why but the 2010 is ~54 g lighter :confused:
I dont (think) I have the magnesium link.

.12lb = 54.43g

2008 TR-
cleaned and weighed her (as pictured) just before I took her in. Only thing that was left on the frame was the 3m film (4-5 strips but shouldnt weigh much) and a strip of tube as a chain protector. no bottle cage, no computer.



2010 CFR- exact components-(no bottle cage, no computer).



the mysterious frog link..alloy or magnesium??


something is definitely making the frame a tad lighter.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dypeterc said:
isn't the 2010 team frame HI-MOD while the 2009 was not?
am not too sure about the hi mod, maybe Dan can chime in :)

I still need to dial her in but so far she feels more planted to the ground than my previous TR.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top