Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I should be surprised ? I just purchased an Ultimate hanging bike scale so I decided to weigh all my bikes / extra components. I have a 2001XL Bullit and XL VP Free.

The Bullit weighed in @ 37.7lbs - more than I expected. Spec's :

2001 Bullit
Fox DHX coil
Hope Mono M4 brakes 180 / 160
Z1 FR 1 150mm travel fork / King HS
Mavic 729 wheelset w/ ringle hubs. 1.2m Kenda tubes
Azonic 2.5 / 2.3 folding tires
Hollzfeller crankset / Truvativ DH BB
Thomson post / Salsa clamp / generic seat
Club roost riser bars / CNC stem
XT drivetrain

Should I be suprised by the weight ? My VP Free weiged in @ 43.5lbs. w/ an almost identical build to the Bullit save for a 888 fork.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I purchased my Bullit way back... It weighed about 30lb. it had V brakes, XTR component group, 5" Z1 M arch fork, XC wheelset etc. Guess I should have bought a scale along the way to watch the weight gain but it will do a whole lot more than it use to.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Keen, our experience with the Free and Bullit frames with equal rear shocks is that the Free is about 1.5lb. heavier than the Bullit. An 888 is about 2lbs. heavier than your Z1FR1, so that comes to about 3.5lbs. It looks like there's some more weight lurking in your Free's build there. Your wheels, tires, crankset, and BB are pretty heavy there, but the other mentioned items don't look too bad. This silver Bullit here is a large and weighs 32.9. It has an air rear shock and a hybrid air/coil Z150SL (only slightly lighter than yours). The wheels and tires are a lot lighter than yours. It has a light crankset and BB (RF Turbines and American Classic BB). It has a carbon bar, light stem, Thomson seatpost, and SRAM drivetrain (Gripshift shifters). Hayes Mags brakes. I'm not sure where all your weight is coming from without seeing the whole bike. I'll bet you're also running some beefy platform pedals?

Attachments

·
ISO Gems...
549 Posts
slackdaddy said:
Buying a scale can only lead to two things:

Dissatisfaction with current, totally adequate, ride.

Depletion of funds, probably resulting in more work, less riding.
Good reason I never weigh my bike, and I keep fooling myself into thinking that my bike only weighs thirty or so pounds. I simply blame myself or my legs for not being in better shape -- it really helps get me up the long crushing climbs.

D

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
slackdaddy said:
Buying a scale can only lead to two things:

Dissatisfaction with current, totally adequate, ride.

Depletion of funds, probably resulting in more work, less riding.
Amen to that. Never felt the Bullit as being heavy, the Free on the other hand feels heavy w/ the additinal weight and sluggish supension. The Free's tires are probably a pound or so heavier, DRS over the Bullits Heim guide adds some more. Here are a couple of pic. links.

Bullit :

http://img513.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img39870uw.jpg

Free :

http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img39889ui.jpg

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
For comparisons sake...

For comparisons sake, here is my large Heckler which ways 34.62lbs with my faithful digital scale. I thought it would be lighter too.

Wheels are Mavic d521's on Hadley hubs laced with folding Nevegals with 2.5F and 2.3R and Stans No-Tubes in use. The fork is a Fox 36 Vanilla.

I also have a large Bullit with tubeless Deemax wheels and tubeless down hill Michelin tires, 2.5 16Comp front and 2.3 24 Comp in the rear, Marzocchi 66RC and it ways about 1/4 lbs. under 40lbs.

Attachments

·
Bullit Rider
328 Posts
Yeah, you know, my Bullit feels heavy when you pick it up. The neat thing though is that when climbing at Annadel (Nor-Cal), it pedals nicer than my wife's hardtail, giving more energy to ride longer :) The thing feels almost 10 pounds heavier than my wife's bike, too (not that I have ever weighed either bike). I would hate to know how heavy it is. I love the bike still :)

·
ISO Gems...
549 Posts
noPHEAR said:
yeah.. Wise choice not to weight your bike ;)...

I did.. and look what happened..

Yep...not putting the Nonad on the scale everytime I add or change a part has been my technique. As far as knowing the weight you get used hauling an extra pound or two in no time anyway, some things are better left unknown IMO. How do you like your Jackal? -- looks like a fun bike and stout looking build even with the holes that have been drilled out in your guide and bashguard. :)

D

·
The Jackal
36 Posts
Dirty D said:
Yep...not putting the Nonad on the scale everytime I add or change a part has been my technique. As far as knowing the weight you get used hauling an extra pound or two in no time anyway, some things are better left unknown IMO. How do you like your Jackal? -- looks like a fun bike and stout looking build even with the holes that have been drilled out in your guide and bashguard. :)

D
I love the Jackal. It suits my ridingstyle. Not ideal for technial streetriding, but awesome in the dirt and on the 4x track.
Gonna bring it down to under 32lbs.. then i'm satisfied :)
More pics..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.