Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 07' S-WORKS STUMPY . After getting some "great advice" on shaving some weight, I went w/ the suggestions . Stock weight was 25.5 lb large frame (not bad) . I swapped the stock tires to the lighter 2.1 Specialized Captians w/ the almighty Stans set up . People told me it should drop approx . 100-150 grams (at least). Lost stock seat quick release binder 60 grams and got a Token at 15 grams , switched my Thompson Elite seat post for a spech carbon fiber one , then dumped stock seat Rival Sl 235 gram to the Toupe 143 gram and weighed it again praying for a low 24 ish weigh in ,,,,, BAMM 26.8 lbs ... WTF . Spent $600 plus and gained a pound ? (same scale btw)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey this is called weight weenie syndrome!! It is in all mountain bike medical books....what happens is you get delirious about the weight and dont actually read the scale correctly...its also what all manufactures do (in the sixties it was called subliminal)...they blind you with grams and pounds and wham....you get the syndrome....hey good luck...my thing is I would rather lose a pound of my weight (and get paid!!!) than spend away for a few ounces....and the stans is the stuff!! as long as you dont slice your tire ...like I did...good luck, ride hard and forget the weight, you gots a sweet bike!

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
The only weigh (har har) to know how much your bike weighs is to completely disassemble it and put every single component, nut, bolt, speck of dust, on a gram scale.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas , I guess the first step is admitting I have a problem , '' weight weenie syndrom'' . Ive been diagnosed . I didnt do stans work , my LBS did . I have to hope it came in at 40 grams or so per tire . Also the spech seat post was lighter , I weighed them at shop. I'm ready to bike off a cliff , I was so dissapointed w my ride and my expected results . I know more EGO than anything , but I did drop $600 + beans and gained a pound plus .

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
key to actually gaining ground on losing weight is analyzing all the parts.

Start a spreadsheet. List all the parts on your bike. Either take the parts off and weigh them yourself or surf the net (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php or http://www.fotos.light-bikes.de/main.php?g2_itemId=199) and record down the weights. Sum the weights up.

Then before you buy new parts make sure you find a verified weight of a part on the scale before buying. Case in point... the Selle Italia SLR saddle is claimed at 135g. I have never seen one under 140 gram with the average being around 145 gram ...

Key is to do home work and don't trust your LBS on spending your money. Too many times I have walked into a LBS where they try to get you to buy this part instead of the one you picked out after hours of research on the net just because they had it in stock and wanted to get rid of their inventory on hand.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Crazy... Did you keep the old parts or did you let the shop keep/swap/resell them for you? I weighed every part I put on the bike and took off, it's the only way to really tell if the parts are going to be lighter. My tires were heavier than the ones I took off, but I got to shed the tubes in return.
I'm not sure why the sum of your parts and efforts came out that way. Your binder was really less than the new Token? I wonder if some one swapped my stock seat post clamp on the floor before I bought it.

$600 is a lot of money to spend on a fairly light weight bike in the first place. I guess I have the same issues, I just hate to admit it.

Good luck!

Rob

·
monster member
1,192 Posts
Why do you say "stock weight was 25.5 lbs"?

Besides others' points above, if you got the 25.5 lbs stat from a brochure vs. weighing it yourself, then maybe it was "favorable"... or it could even be weight without pedals.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
what kind of scale are you using first?

1 - tires - you probably gained weight here, depending on what tires you already had on.

the captain comes in 3 versions. 550g, 605g or 705g depending on which version. tires are often heavier than advertised.

new bikes often come with LIGHT tubes. if you went with a Stan's Tubeless Conversion kit (rim strips etc), you will gained weight over a light tube. maybe 20-30 grams per wheel. As well, if the LBS put in too much sealant... My guess is you gained a lot of weight here.

2 - seat post clamp - you should have lost weight.

3 - seat post - i bet you lost or gained weight here. thompson elite is pretty light. again did you weigh both on a digital scale at the same time?

4 - saddle - the toupe is 175 (+/- 5%)... so another 8.75g or so... again, not as much as you were hoping.

i bet the seat clamp, seat post and saddle MAYBE lost 100 grams. and I would check what version of the Captain tire they put on... it might be OVER 705 per tire.

next time and do all the weighing yourself on a quality digital scale.

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
Shoot, happened to me too. I was so bumbed. My 08 Specialized Rockhopper came in with the Heavy Time Atac Z pedals at 27.5 pounds on a large frame. I got some DT Swiss wheels and new tubes, but maintained my old tires. I sidegraded from V's to disk brakes (which of course weighs more) and BAM! 29.39 lbs. I expected at least to stay within the 27lbs range of the scale.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.