Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the quick and dirty. Started riding Sept 2006 at 265 lbs. I am now 245 lbs (fluctuate from about 240 to 250, but mostly stay right around 243-245). This past summer my riding really started to improve, as an example, my local 9.1 mile loop, I went from 1 hr 17 minutes down to 54 minutes and I was consistently under 1 hr all summer long. I did a 51 mile one day ride in april and in October I did a 25 mile ride in a fairly good pace. I entered my first XC race and wasn't competitive but finished in a decent time.

My problem, since October my riding ability has really gone down , that 9.1 mile loop in November was back up to 1 hr 20 minutes and I am dragging the whole time, another trail that I rode all summer long and was averaging 11-12 mph, I can barely average 8.5 mph now, it feels like my tires are just stuck and I can't pedal. I was hoping it was something wrong with the bike;) but it's not, I went through the bike, different tires, different bike even and still just dragging. My goal last year was over 100 miles a month and I made it every month including november but I was dragging so bad in november that I basicaly took off the whole month of december. Went for my first ride since november last night and it felt great to get out and ride, but I was dragging, again, my avg speed was only 8 mph (my last night ride on this trail in october I averaged 12.3 mph) and it was all I could do to keep that pace.

The only thing that I changed
Prior to November - I was riding off -road three days per week (approx 10 miles per ride) and lifting weights 2 days a week.

Since Nov - I have been doing spin classes three days a week (45 min sessions) and lifting 2 days a week, mt biking whenever I could, mostly on the weekends.

My diet has not changed during this time and continues to be relatively good through the week, but really bad on the weekends (pizza, beer, snacks, eating out with family).

Any thoughts from fellow clydes on what is happening and how to turn this regression around?

·
rock crusher
257 Posts
Diet? Muscle Damage?

There is a good chance that there could be some over-training issues at work for you. Looking at dietary changes is a good place to start, Have you changed anything since then, or is there something that needs changing? As far as your legs are concerned, waste products of aerobic, and especially anaerobic exercise leave damaged tissue behind. Removing the built up lactic acid damage in your power muscles could certainly help. Massage or foam roller work can really help.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The same thing happens to me when I lift, pedal on and off road, Kayak and do other activities all the same time...you don't realize it but your endurance goes down for a bit, something that works for me is I take a week off. You might also start to get sick kinda like a cold , this happens to me if I over do it for to long...I'm a lean 220lb...lifting can be hard on your body.....just a thought....Sax:skep:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Weighed in this morning at 248 lbs. Going to try and change or clean up my diet, but that is the hardest part for me. Also, going to stick to base training for all my riding over the next 6 weeks, this includes spinning and any type of aerobic excercises I do. I am using 65%-75% MHR as my base training zone. Lifting - I am going to focus on abs and stretching and I am also trying the 100 hundred push-up program.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Keep Workin Start Eatin

Sounds like your problem is a diet issue. You are doing a good routine but it does not sound like enough to drain you if you prepare yourself and eat the right things. Make sure you eat enough calories through the day (Good Ones).You should be eating 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound a day (if you are extremely active). Also make sure about 30 minutes before each workout you eat or drink something with complex sugars (this is key). It gives your muscles something to burn other then themselves during and after workouts. It also keeps your energy levels up. Also after workouts make sure you eat something high in protein low in carbs. This is key since your muscles start to rebuild as soon as they are broken down. Just these two small things will make a big difference in about week. Matched with a healthy diet you will see the results you want.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
It is the ghey spinning class

gasiorv said:
Here is the quick and dirty. Started riding Sept 2006 at 265 lbs. I am now 245 lbs (fluctuate from about 240 to 250, but mostly stay right around 243-245). This past summer my riding really started to improve, as an example, my local 9.1 mile loop, I went from 1 hr 17 minutes down to 54 minutes and I was consistently under 1 hr all summer long. I did a 51 mile one day ride in april and in October I did a 25 mile ride in a fairly good pace. I entered my first XC race and wasn't competitive but finished in a decent time.

My problem, since October my riding ability has really gone down , that 9.1 mile loop in November was back up to 1 hr 20 minutes and I am dragging the whole time, another trail that I rode all summer long and was averaging 11-12 mph, I can barely average 8.5 mph now, it feels like my tires are just stuck and I can't pedal. I was hoping it was something wrong with the bike;) but it's not, I went through the bike, different tires, different bike even and still just dragging. My goal last year was over 100 miles a month and I made it every month including november but I was dragging so bad in november that I basicaly took off the whole month of december. Went for my first ride since november last night and it felt great to get out and ride, but I was dragging, again, my avg speed was only 8 mph (my last night ride on this trail in october I averaged 12.3 mph) and it was all I could do to keep that pace.

The only thing that I changed
Prior to November - I was riding off -road three days per week (approx 10 miles per ride) and lifting weights 2 days a week.

Since Nov - I have been doing spin classes three days a week (45 min sessions) and lifting 2 days a week, mt biking whenever I could, mostly on the weekends.

My diet has not changed during this time and continues to be relatively good through the week, but really bad on the weekends (pizza, beer, snacks, eating out with family).

Any thoughts from fellow clydes on what is happening and how to turn this regression around?
Your legs will come back. Here are the tips:
1. Run in the mornings try to hit 3 mile runs - that will shed some pounds off
2. In you weight training days - drop the weights. Amount that is. If you are training for biking then huge biceps and big tits do not help. Do some of the same weights you do but with less weight. For example, if you are doing 40lbs dumbells for biceps to impressthe girls of the big boys forget it. That does not do squat for riding.
Focus on core exercises - Lots of push ups - try to hit 100 a day for starters, pull ups, abs lost of abs and lunges for your legs. Get lean and trim and not big and bulky.
3. Ride, ride, ride, nothing substitute milage.
4. Oh, and if you really want to get strong legs, a single speed bike works the best.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never realized that mainaining your hear rate between 65%-75% would take so much focus and is almost impossible to do while riding with a group. Anyway, last week I maintained my heart rate around 70% while doing 45min spin classes, then on Friday I did a group night ride, tried to keep up for the first half of the ride and my heart rate was way, way, way up there for the most part, the second half of the ride, I slowed down and tried to keep my HR below 80% and I was left in the dust! Sunday, went for a solo ride and maintained my HR zone for the most part and was surprised that even though I was slower than normal, my lap time really did not go up that much because I never had to take a break, just kept pedaling.

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to try and maintain this base training and tackle my hardest obstacle - my diet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.