Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having a problem with hard shifts and a lot of drive train noise on my Giant Igauna. It is equipped with Shimano Deore shifters and derailleurs. The problem plays out like this: I will be riding along go make a shift to a higher gear and there will be load click-CLACK followed by a KIck-KaKK-KIck-KaKK until I shift out of the gear. On occasion this will cause the chain to bind or be thrown also.

Another problem that may be related is that my chain gets thrown rather easily when I start getting into bumps on rough trail sections or on the street when I jump off curbs and such.

Both problems continue to happen even after fresh tune ups at the local shop. I need a new chain for sure. Any other thoughts?

·
Brant-C.
1,072 Posts
after you get the new chain make sure it's the right length.

too much chain will make it fall off the chainrings.

not enough chain will make it bind or you can have your rear derailleur "eaten"!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found problem with cahinring

I went out and gave my bike a good eyeballin' and found that I had rounded off a couple of teeth on my large and small rings. I guess I will need to be replacin' the chainring. Anyone have advice on a good chainring for under $100.00? I saw a blackspire for around 80 is this a good ring? I have a 2003 Giant Iguana with a Deore derailleur if that helps.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I just buy the sub Deore cranskset with removable chainrings and swap the rings onto the existing cranks. You can get these for around $35 or less. And you can always sell the cranks (without rings) to recoupe sonme of the costs. Last time I sold one I got $25 back.

Tim

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Ryan79 said:
I went out and gave my bike a good eyeballin' and found that I had rounded off a couple of teeth on my large and small rings. I guess I will need to be replacin' the chainring. Anyone have advice on a good chainring for under $100.00? I saw a blackspire for around 80 is this a good ring? I have a 2003 Giant Iguana with a Deore derailleur if that helps.
...or not. Go look at the rings on a new bike/crank. The teeth have all sorts of odd shapes that look like they may be worn or broken.

·
Brant-C.
1,072 Posts
Ryan79 said:
what kind of crankset do you have? the model number is stamped on the back side of the crankarms next to the pedal threads.

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
Ryan79 said:
I've had chainrings with a few teeth completely missing and they still didn't have problems like you described.
Seriously doubt some rounded teeth are root of your problem.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Check for bent teeth, too

Ryan79 said:
I have been having a problem with hard shifts and a lot of drive train noise on my Giant Igauna. It is equipped with Shimano Deore shifters and derailleurs. The problem plays out like this: I will be riding along go make a shift to a higher gear and there will be load click-CLACK followed by a KIck-KaKK-KIck-KaKK until I shift out of the gear. On occasion this will cause the chain to bind or be thrown also.

Another problem that may be related is that my chain gets thrown rather easily when I start getting into bumps on rough trail sections or on the street when I jump off curbs and such.

Both problems continue to happen even after fresh tune ups at the local shop. I need a new chain for sure. Any other thoughts?
I once sucked a rock in my chain, and it bent one of the teeth. My chain would drop to the granny gear at random. Turns out I could look down at my cranks as they were going around, and I spotted one tooth bent over. I just took my tiny crescent wrench and bent the tooth back, and it was fine.

When you say your chain binds, do you mean it wraps around your chainrings up front, and wedges in your frame? If so, I would also check for stiff chain links or bent plates. Worn chainrings can also cause this. Check your chain for wear with a long ruler (each link should line up on the 1/2" marks... if it is more than 1/16" off in a foot of chain, its worn out) and inspect your chainrings for 'shark tooth' wear. You might need new chainrings... oh, and same goes for the cassette. If your new chain makes a lot of crunchy noises around your cassette (or your chain skips under load) you'll probably need a new cassette too.

Do a search on 'chainsuck' and you will find many tips for spotting the reasons why this happens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pimpbot said:
I once sucked a rock in my chain, and it bent one of the teeth. My chain would drop to the granny gear at random. Turns out I could look down at my cranks as they were going around, and I spotted one tooth bent over. I just took my tiny crescent wrench and bent the tooth back, and it was fine.

When you say your chain binds, do you mean it wraps around your chainrings up front, and wedges in your frame? If so, I would also check for stiff chain links or bent plates. Worn chainrings can also cause this. Check your chain for wear with a long ruler (each link should line up on the 1/2" marks... if it is more than 1/16" off in a foot of chain, its worn out) and inspect your chainrings for 'shark tooth' wear. You might need new chainrings... oh, and same goes for the cassette. If your new chain makes a lot of crunchy noises around your cassette (or your chain skips under load) you'll probably need a new cassette too.

Do a search on 'chainsuck' and you will find many tips for spotting the reasons why this happens.
Thanks for the info. I will look into these suggestions. It looks like the teeth on my large and small chain rings have a couple of teeth almost missing. They are rounded down. I will try and get some pics soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.