Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Lay off the Levers
10,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got Bandwidth?

We're havin' a heat wave!

Global warming my arse... NY is always seventy degrees in January.

Some guy came blazing throught the parking lot shirtless. After the first ten minuets of climbing I was ready to do the same thing. You'll be glad to know I resisted that temptation. What I couldn't resist is taking a bunch of timer shots on this glorious day! Here's a virtual come-along pictorial...probably just the thing for a pre-ride stoke or to view on a gloomy Monday...but why wait?

After warming up my legs on the climb I warmed up my skills on my favorite little wheelie-drop.

After I hit it a few times and moved on to groove on "MFT"("My Favorite Trail" That's it's name). This is a fun technical trail. The first 30 yards give you a chance to get your head together...I'm already eyeing up the first bit-o-fun.

As a matter of fact this whole trail follows a 30 yard rule. Techy stuff is separated by no more that 30 yards start to finish. It's dense with fun and only takes about 20 mins to do if you don't stop to shoot and play.

Even though it was warm enough to go swimming, I still had the fashon sense to wear a seasonal full-meat-jacket:

The camera muted the minor climbing nature of that last bit but just over the crest it comes down into a nice little group of notches:

The notches dip into a little gully for another few yards and then it's back to the fun!

Check the O-Face as I realize I'm a bit late on the lift. I made it though.(no really!)

(More)

·
Lay off the Levers
10,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After that crest it drops into much more choppy notchy stuff, a little rock bridge and some other narrow stuff. There are challenges like this every few yards. Then it opens up to a nice little slickrock dome. Once upon a time this was a major hurdle for me. Now I get a charge out of not thinking twice about it:

If I stopped to shoot every bit of fun on this trail I'd still be out there. BUT I did make a point to spend some time shooting my favorite section of rollers! Three nice rollers linked together. I shot the first one on timers and hooked up with some kewl fellas Kevin and Justin. And we rode and shot the rest of the trail together.
The first bit looks like this:

This is how it looks from the cockpit:

And on with the fun!

Then a quick right and up on the blue whale:

A left on the whale and setup for the real fun:

(More)

·
Lay off the Levers
10,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What fun? This fun!

Notice my attention is focused down the trail?

I wonder why?

Getting ready to pump it up:

Yeah Baby! but it ain't over yet, not by a long shot:

(more still)

·
Lay off the Levers
10,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the the last of the triplets:

Kevin got in on the fun too! He liked it so much he hit the midde roller several times...okay me too.

He got a little off the back here but...

He nailed it smooth as butter every other time:

Then on to more fun...

·
Lay off the Levers
10,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MFT's MFD("My Favorite Drop" okay I made that up) We did this drop a few times...

Notice the casual expression on Kev's face? It's almost like he's thinking, "Oh that's where the ground went."

There were plenty of other techy bits and we had a blast:

wrapup...

·
Lay off the Levers
10,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heres a seq showing my tiptoe through the tulips:

There was a bunch more fun on MFT and Kev and Just broke-out after that. I went on solo to hit one more roller and then come back down the Mellienium and stinger trails:

I really gotta work on that o-face thing

It was nice spending the afternoon with some good guys and the golden sunshine.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Fantastic shots Zilla - never mind you coming back our way we need to get you to show us "my/your favourite trail" BTW I have never seen so many cars at the top of skyline as there were today....what a stunning weekend of weather

·
what...?
695 Posts
Lemme guess.....Sprain?

It was 73 on the island yesterday, so I went road riding (trails too muddy) in shorts and shortsleeve jersey. Just gotta love it. Enjoy it today, it was a gift. Back to the 30's by mid week :(

We hit Glacier Ridge this am. Dude...the trail is up to almost 11 miles now and the new sections are getting harder and harder!

·
Lay off the Levers
10,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jm: Blue Mt. Mapped and public trail! No secret's here it's all good!

Wilks: Any time My brotha! Come on out. There's plenty of trail candy at Blue. MFT is now a minor trail compared to Monster Stinger and Debacle...the best part is we can hit it all in one ride!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Zilla you look great!!

Unknownrash said:
Sweet. Gotta love El Nino. Great pix. Zilla you look half nekkid without the full on armor for your legs. Must of been super hot
You look great! I love the outfit. I wish I could ride that trail. It looks sweet.

U-Rash is jelouse because apparently he quit riding trails.

Zilla- I bet if you had a riding buddy you would never stop talking to him for no aparent reason:nono: . Have fun and never lose a riding buddy like the one in the pictures.:thumbsup:

I can wait to get my 5.75 rockers, DHXc, Pike and Wheels for my spot....

PS I dig the green/gold combo.

·
Outcast
8,575 Posts
71 degrees? FOCK! I hate you Alex!
j/k :D
thanks for sharing your pics. I forgot what bare ground looks like. My backyard is an artic wasteland. My only excercise is shoveling snow.
I still think you should try flat pedals. :thumbsup:

Edit: this is my payback for giving you grief about New York humid, buggy summers.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Renny, I was going to ride this morning but I had to mow the lawn:D...dammed xmas ornimants kept getting in the way.

Rasta... no worries man I have a regular crew of ~2 dozen guys I know and ride with whenever I can shake my hangover and get up early enough to hook up with. I perfer to ride solo when I'm out of shape though.:rolleyes:

Speaking of uh, shape...jmtbkr, when ya commin up?:p We owe you for hosting us out at RP.

Rash, belive it or not the kneepads are actually a 10 yr old set of Rollerblade pads. I've grown quite fond of them. They're light and flexible and have a hard shell for the NE rocks. Perfect for trail duty. I only wear the long pads for psycho isht now.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Bikezilla said:
.Rash, belive it or not the kneepads are actually a 10 yr old set of Rollerblade pads. I've grown quite fond of them. They're light and flexible and have a hard shell for the NE rocks. Perfect for trail duty. I only wear the long pads for psycho isht now.
After taking 15 layers of skin off of my knee in an endo incident a couple weeks ago I bought those Kyle Strait six six one knee pds - I like them, comfy and offer solid protection and they don't seem to interfere with pedaling at all...

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,941 Posts
wow! outstandin stoke bz! looks like things have dried out here enough to ride again but between the 35mph winds and a full day at work, its not lookin good. home for a spell after recordin my show (plays till 6pm cst on www.kg95.com if yer interested) and havin to go back for a hockey game appearence. i get to stand out in the wind and shake hands. weeeeee! maybe ill just leave the truck and go have a beer.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.