Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's been quiet a while since the bike has been up here- Infact I'm not even sure it has been, seen anyways :p Here it is, in it's getting there build- A few things to go such as Wheels and Tyres which will drop the weight dramaticly, aside from that the rest is "tuning" type stuff and then she's done :)

Not much has happen lately build wise, as I went and broke my wrist and damaged all the muscles in my hand riding it on her first ride about 8 weeks ago. All better now though, and I have a club race next weekend (if I remember correctly)... I better get back into training :p

Specs, So Far! ]

Bottom Bracket: FSA Platnium Pro Ti
Brake Levers: Magura
Brakes: Magura Matra
Cables: XT/XTR
Cassette: Shimano Ultrega 12/27
Chain: Shimano XT
Crankset: Race Face Tubine LP
*Crankarms: Turbine LP
**Chain rings: FSA 22/32/44
***Chainring bolts: FSA Alloy T30
****Crank fixing bolts: FSA
Derlr (Front): Shimano XT
Derlr (Rear): Shimano XT
Fork: 2003 Rockshox Duke Race 100mm ---( Pure mod saves about 30grams improves damping.
Frame: Cove Handjob XC 17.5"
Grips: Oury (Cut)
Handlebar: Easton MonkeyLite SL
Headset: Aheadset
Pedals: Shimano 636(?)
Seat: Selle Itelia SLR Ti
Seatpost: Easton EC70
Shifters: Sram Rocket
Stem: Easton MG60
Tire (Front): Specialized Enduro 2.0
Tire (Rear): Specialized Enduro 2.2

Well there it is, nothing for you weightweenie barrons to be overly jelious about- But it is a work in progress, and I am inching towards my goal of Sub 21.5lbs (9750grams). More than happy with the bikes proformance so far; I look foward to taking it around the Aussie enduro circiut in the coming months (Watch out Trevor!).

Now where was I?... Ahhhh Tyres!

[/end Show & Tell]

-Cul

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hey Cul,

great to see the bike is progressing well and sorry I didn't rock up to Macedon race. Sleeping in seems to be priority this winter!! :)

Its amazing we are both almost at identical stage as far as completing the projects. I need wheels, crankset and saddle to finish mine. Got brake levers the other day and all the chainring bolts. Not that many parts to go but big $$. In any case after noticing I was getting distracted as far as money goes with some unimportant things over the last few months I have sat down and worked out a budget and my bike WILL be finished within 12 weeks. For the next 12 weeks I only have income to finish this baby and it has been a long time coming. I'm excited.

I notice you have Turbine LPs which are 5 arms and you also listed FSA chainrings. I thought those only came in 4 arm?!? Do they come in 5 arm BCD as well?!?

Anyway good work and hope your wrist is 100%.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5 Arm Compact...

Hey Boj, good to see someone left a note :p The cranks are 5 arm 58mm X 94mm BCD, which is compact. Maybe the aussie importerrs are only doing the 4 arm, or have the lines crossed somewhere? I love the cranks, and the BB interface, so much stiffer than my old Deore/XT Octalink Crank/BB combo. The ring's were used instead of Sugino's as I had troubles trying to find them... But the shifting is great :) Talk to Larry at www.mtnhighcyclery.com he'll sort you out ;)

Good to hear your bike is coming along also- I hate trying to save for the big $$$ things such as wheelsets etc... Between my crash and now I recon I have spent more on bass guitars/amps than bike stuff :eek: I also Hope to get my bike finished in a few weeks- before the FGP 12hr if possable... If not then, it WILL be DONE by "Mont" in October :p

I didn't go to Macedon either, I heard it was bit of a mess with the wet and all... I may be at the YouYangs (Flat Track) round this weekend- I'll be the guy going slow, and looking extremely hungover,as I have a 21st the night before ;)

-Cul

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep She's steel!

Thanx :) Yep the frame is steel- Basicly a steel version of the Hummer which is Ti, they share the same geo, but the Hummer's sizes are 1/2" different... I loved the name's too, but there was just something else that attracted me to the frame, not sure what yet, but it rides great! :p

The Frame: I didn't get to weigh by itself, as I had already pressed the headset cups... With the headset cups in it came in at 1980grams- These were ell cheapo headset, steel cups though, So I'm guessing bare frame weights around the 1920 to 1900gram mark.

The Seatpost QR/Clamp was 50grams (isn't included in above total, and has now been shaved to 20g, will go lower).

I will re-weigh the bare frame, when I get the new Headset & BB, thats some time away though :(

-Cul

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
So what are the final specs going to be?
Have you ever tired foam grips? I used to think ourys were awesome, but I tired some ritchey WSC( not as light as others) and probably won't go back for a while! Plus they are half the weight.
Ye! Australian Hardtail pride!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Final Specs!

Are a wee bit up in the air, as I'm realizing that I could spend alll the moeny in the world on this bike, but it isn't getting me to Canada any quicker... Or that House Deposit :p Also it's primary job is a Trailbike/Enduro Race bike, so there isn't anything too fragile.

Ritchey Grips- They are coming, I just haven't been to the Bike Store for a while.
UST is pretty certian, in the form of custom built wheels :D - SRAM is the go for drivetrain as I am over Shimano's ********... Fork's I'm looking at RockShox Reba (Team/WC), if they dont do as promissed though I'm going to Fox, A big move for me since I have pretty much stuck with RockShox since 1996. :eek:

Heres the List of changes to come.....

Bottom Bracket: FRM ISIS
Cassette: Dura Ace / XTR / SRAM dependant on course and conditions
Crankset: Race Face Tubine LP
**Chain rings: To be changed to TA Specialites
Derlr (Rear): SRAM X.0
Fork: RockShox Reba Team/WC, or Fox Float 100 or F100x
Headset: Chris King No Threadset (Green)
Pedals: Crank Brothers Eggbetter Twin Ti
WheelSet Mavic XM819 / WTB
*Rims: Mavic XM819 Disc
**Hub (Front): WTB Laser Disc/ AmClassic
***Hub (Rear): WTB Laser Disc/ Am Classic
****Spokes: DT Swiss SuperComp or Sapim CXRay
*****Nipples: ForeNipples
Shifters: SRAM X.0 Shorty
Stem: Syntace F99 w/ Ti Bolts

Wow it looks like alot when in point form :eek: But I consider most of the drivetrain work to be "Tuning", as the bike is very ridable at the moment... Good fun to ride on it too.

Good to see more Aussies over here... Saving Weight- Now where's Trevor? :p

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
So how much are you paying for your Twin Ti eggs? I need a replacement for my 2002 models. Might be getting second hand though.
About forks, new for 2005 fox is bringing out the Fox 100RLT. Better option than the float.
Any real reason why theres no CK hubs? Weight issues or money, or both? I don't like to talk about(LOL!), but I didn't have great succes with my front hub of the WTB's and am afriad to try again with those hubs. I as just soo unlucky! My next wheels will probably have kin hubs, supercomps, and either DT swiss rims with a tubeless kit or possibly 819's(what their real weight?).
Which would you get? XT or Raceface Deus cranks? Racefaces are going to either be more expensive, or will not get the surpport from the LBS.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eggies: That depends if I get them, I know an Aussie, with the name begining with T, who hangs aound these parts has/had a second hand set for sale... I cant afford them right now though :mad: If that falls through, I'd get them from the USA, too expencive here in Australia.

Chris King Hubs: I'm leaning towards American Classic/WTB, because they are lighter, and it would be much cheaper if I were getting the wheelset built localy. If I go the CK Hub's, they will be green :p and I will use the CXRay spokes to keep the weight down abit.

The real weight for the XM819d rim is about 500g to 520 gram's each, you can still make a pretty decent UST wheelset and keep the wieght down; They will last alot longer than CrossMax wheels, and flex less too :p

Cranks: Having riden RaceFace's ISIS offereings, they are much stiffer than Shimano's Octalink/Square... Raceface makes stuff that is poundable, Shimano makes stuff for the masses. I'd go RaceFace- But buy from overseas.

-Cul

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
LOL! That guy starting with 'T' is the same guy I was considering getting them from:D
Oh well, I can always settle for the SS models:)
Ye, I want Raceface cause not everybody has them(YET!). They are just so much cooler and just seem like they are better.....
I will do a post of my bike in the near future when it reaches below 25lbs. Am really not sure what it is now! Gotta be close!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
CulBaire said:
I didn't go to Macedon either, I heard it was bit of a mess with the wet and all... I may be at the YouYangs (Flat Track) round this weekend- I'll be the guy going slow, and looking extremely hungover,as I have a 21st the night before ;)

-Cul
Hey Cul,

just to let you know, in case you read this, that I'll be You Yangs race tomorrow. I race in Sport A class and ride a yellow Ironhorse distinctive by the Ultegra RD and wear a blue Ironhorse jersey. If you see me say hi. I'll be looking for that white Avanti.

See ya,
Bojan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.