Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My Release 3 review/log thread....

10K views 59 replies 16 participants last post by  killerisation 
#1 ·
So...figured I'd start a thread...mostly to keep track of my bike, what happens with it, my thoughts...ect. But feel free to add to it as well.

Anyways...so after a lot of reading and some videos and crunching numbers...I came to the decision to buy a DiamondBack. First one for me. Just seems that the value for them was much better than most of the other brands.

I was initially set on a 27.5 plus so I was trying to choose between the Catch and the Mason. I wasn't 100% convinced I needed full suspension but I definitely wanted front squish. So after watching more videos and getting pumped on what some others where doing on full suspension bikes...I decided to give it a shot. So at that point I was set...Catch 2 was what I was getting. Then...the Release 3 started to grab my attention. Just has a look to it...like it wants to rip. Has kinda a mean aggressive stance to it. IMO at least. Started looking at numbers and reading some more reviews. I liked that it was a little slacker. Little shorter in the rear. But I wasn't ready to spend the additional money over the Catch 2. Then it happened. Along came a sale. Not just a sale. But a sale that stacked with the corporate discount. And then along came a discount code. So once it was all tallied up...I simply could not pass up the deal. The icing on the cake was the confirmation that 2.8 tires will fit up front and in the back with slight rubbing which probably means 2.6 tires should be good to go. So now I'm looking at better parts, more aggressive bike, and the ability to run plus size tires. Win, win, win!

Bike ordered on Friday. Received on Monday. New bike day...always exciting. The bike was well packaged and the way it was done made it so easy to unpack.

Stationery Office supplies Beige Material property Writing implement

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle wheel

Assembly was a breeze. I went from sealed box to built bike in less than 20 minutes. No joke. All that you need to do, for anyone reading this that hasn't ordered a bike from DB yet...is install the front wheel, attach the handle bars (taking care to sort out the cables), and insert the seatpost. That's it. Bike built!

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

Now to my dismay...I did find a few issues with my bike. First was some paint chipping on the downtube. Noticed this as I was pulling the bike out of the box. So I know it was there already and not something I did.

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle frame White Bicycle

So that's always a little bit of a bummer. But...I figure there's more to come...so I wasn't going to worry much about it. But then...after messing with the bike some more...I noticed that my cassette had a wobble. Not severe but enough that it was easily seen. A few quick spins around the yard and up the street and there didn't seem to be any affect on shifting. So that's good. But still...it shouldn't wobble. I haven't sorted out whether it's the cassette or the hub yet. I'll be doing that this weekend.

But the worst was yet to come. I read a number of reports about pivots and headset and bearings being dry or having very little grease. And also torque on bolts being too loose. So I wanted to make sure that was addressed before I did any rides. So I started pulling bolts and greasing and checking bearings...headset done. Seatpost done. Wheel axles done. derailleur hanger done. Shock done (also added 4 volume reducers).

Now to the pivots. Started with the upper pivot, lower axle. Pulled the bolt and wedge. Axle out. Greased and reinstalled. Nice and easy. Started on the upper axle. Came out, no problem. Greased it up. Bearing felt good. Started to reinstall. Nope. Didn't want to go in. Not sure what was up. Pushed. Pulled. Twisted. Cursed. Finally whacked it with a BFH. That worked. But shouldn't have taken a hammer to reinstall a pivot axle. Well...in all my reading seems I missed the fact that several other have reported the same issue. It appears there is some sort of misalignment between the pivot and frame or something with how the bearings are set or something. Definitely a problem and not just with my bike. Seems that DB is aware as warranty claims have been filed by others. I also filed one. I also included the wobbly cassette and paint damage. Figured might as well while I was at it. No word back yet...but it's only been a couple days as of the typing of this long winded post.

Went ahead and setup the tires tubeless. Went off without a hitch. Spent a few days trying to dial in fork and shock pressures. Still needs work...but at least it's rideable. Haven't had a suspension fork for quite a while and before when I did...I really never did anything with it. Just rode it. And totally new to shocks. So definitely a learning experience working with both.

First ride report coming.....

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
First ride in the books. Busted out about 8 miles this morning on actual single track. Holy crap is it different. From the suspension to the geometry, to the wheel size...this bike really has some potential. It's more bike than I can do anything with right now. In the last few years I've knocked out 1000's of miles of riding but 99% has been on pavement or gravel roads. Very little mountain biking. So honestly my skill set is crap. But that's going to change. This bike is going to be so much fun. Seriously. Here's what I learned today...

For me...bars too wide. Concreted after I supermaned over the bars after catching a tree in a spot that I've never had issues with before. I wish I could have been out of body to watch because I can image what I looked like. It was like super fast and in an instant. I was riding BOOM I was on the ground. No injuries other than my pride.

Air pressure. Not sure if it was just not being used to suspension up front and having never ridden with suspension in the bike...but it felt weird. Not bad. But weird. I know I still need to dial things in. It was just a whole new experience for me.

Shifting was good. No real problems. Had a couple clunkers here and there...not sure what was up with that. Cassette maybe?

One thing that bothered me, not sure if it's by design or because of my fit on the bike. But anytime I got into an aggressive posture and stood for downhills or to hit rough stuff...I found that I was WAY back on the bike. Like my arse was back behind the seat quite a bike. On every other bike I've owned it took effort to get behind the seat like I was today. But on this bike...it was just automatic. Is that a "design feature" of the geometry or is my fit wonky? Not sure that I liked it to be honest. Maybe something I just need to get used to?

Lowered the pressure of the tires. I ran 30/35 which for me is low. I'm usually 45/50 but this is the first time I've ran tubeless on a mountain bike so I wasn't sure how low I could go. Grip seemed really good and never really felt bouncy. So I guess that it's at least not too much pressure. I'll drop it a little more each ride or each lap on longer rides until I figure out a good spot for me. Today I only had time for one loop and not enough time to do any dialing...just wanted to ride and make sure things worked mostly and get a general feel for the bike.

Steering...a little twitchy really. Which kinda surprised me. I thought slacker bikes steered on the slow side? Or maybe I'm thinking opposite? Anyways...it was pretty quick handling. Could be the short stem too...or that my other bike steers like a tank so this one being more normal just make things feel quicker. Just something I'll have to get used to. May end up trying a longer stem anyways...just to lengthen the reach a little. I want to try shorter bars too.

Weight...some people complain about the weight. Didn't notice. My Kona isn't a feather weight but is still a bit lighter. Probably 6-7 pounds less. My Jamis is a 20 pounder. My Canondale F29 was also just a little over 20 pounds. So I know what a pretty light bike feels like. The weight of this bike never registered. Maybe once I get some rides in areas with climbs that weight will show its ugly face. But today...nope.

So yeah...I think that's about it for now. If I think of more I'll add it later. But overall, despite the issues in the first post and the issue from today's ride...I have no doubt I made the right choice with this bike. It now just a matter of getting things fixed through DB. Dialing in the bike. And working on my skills. I see many more trail miles per year in my future.

And after today and hitting some areas like this which I've ridden plenty of times on my rigid...I can't understand why I waited so long to get full suspension...it was SO nice not feeling beat up after the ride....

https://www.strava.com/activities/1151323629

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork

#4 ·
Thanks. I'll try to keep it rolling.

Also...forgot to add above...needs new grips. Not much to the stock ones. they are grippy...but no cushion. I'll be ordering some ESI Extra Chunky grips tonight.

Oh yeah...also...first time on flats. It was interesting. Jury is still out on that one. But I'll give it a couple more rides before deciding.

#5 ·
Thanks. I'll try to keep it rolling.

Also...forgot to add above...needs new grips. Not much to the stock ones. they are grippy...but no cushion. I'll be ordering some ESI Extra Chunky grips tonight.

Oh yeah...also...first time on flats. It was interesting. Jury is still out on that one. But I'll give it a couple more rides before deciding.
I agree, very nice write up! If you decide to stick with flats I'd highly suggest dropping a little more dough on a set of Race Face Chester pedals. They are super light and have amazing grip. I have them on both of my bikes.

My Clutch came with a 35mm stem and steering was crazy twitchy at low speeds. A longer, 50mm stem helped (more weight over the front I guess?)

#7 ·
DiamondBack wants my bike back :/

Here's the email I just got....

" Hi Chad,

Sounds like there are many issues with this bike. It may be our collective interest to facilitate a return for this bicycle.
please visit the link below to start the return process.
Contact Diamondback Bikes | Diamondback Bikes

Thanks for reaching out, let us know if you have any other questions.

Cheers!"

#9 ·
Yeah...I just filled out the form for a return...but I asked about exchange rather than a simple return. My concern would be that if I return it and have to wait for a refund...they might sell out of the bike before I can order a new one. Not sure if that would be likely...but...I'd be super pissed if it did. I want to see if they might send one as I send mine back so that I can ensure I'm getting another bike.

#12 ·
Yeah...I just filled out the form for a return...but I asked about exchange rather than a simple return.
I sure hope that's exactly what the DB's offer will be. They may still ask you to ship the bike back to them first before they ship out the replacement but either way you should be getting a brand new Release at some point in the future. Keep us posted and good luck.

#10 ·
Did a slightly more legit ride today, 11.7m and 1,480 feet. No time to type out much...but the bent cassette/hub reared it's ugly face. Wouldn't stay on the 42T for the steeper climbs. Thank goodness for single speeding....I had the legs to do ok....but that lower gear would have been nice a few times. Still needs some shock tuning for sure and that position where I'm getting WAY too far back is getting quite annoying.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1155271600

#13 ·
Got the shipping label today. Guess I'll be washing the bike and packing it up to return. DB won't do an exchange...I have to just buy a new bike. Also my 10% off is no longer valid so checking to see if I can get a new code.

After some thought...I may just downgrade a little to the Release 2 instead of the 3. Save me $300 and I doubt very seriously I'll notice any loss of performance or any increase in weight. I'm sure we would be talking mere grams if there is any increase. Heck...I might even just grab a Catch instead. If they had one in stock...I'd actually be really tempted to say hell with it and just get a Mason Pro instead and that way I wouldn't have to even work about rear suspension. Who knows. I won't be doing anything until the bike is returned and I get my refund.

#14 ·
Got the shipping label today. Guess I'll be washing the bike and packing it up to return. DB won't do an exchange...I have to just buy a new bike. Also my 10% off is no longer valid so checking to see if I can get a new code.

After some thought...I may just downgrade a little to the Release 2 instead of the 3. Save me $300 and I doubt very seriously I'll notice any loss of performance or any increase in weight. I'm sure we would be talking mere grams if there is any increase. Heck...I might even just grab a Catch instead. If they had one in stock...I'd actually be really tempted to say hell with it and just get a Mason Pro instead and that way I wouldn't have to even work about rear suspension. Who knows. I won't be doing anything until the bike is returned and I get my refund.
Man that really blows. Keep us posted on what they have to say about he take10 code. Surely they will give that to you.

#16 ·
After some thought...I may just downgrade a little to the Release 2 instead of the 3. Heck...I might even just grab a Catch instead. If they had one in stock...I'd actually be really tempted to say hell with it and just get a Mason Pro instead and that way I wouldn't have to even work about rear suspension. Who knows.
Sweet zombie Jesus son! You almost broke the internet with the number of posts leading up to getting THIS bike. We gotta sit through all this again? Me thinks you should shop local, find something to ride first for sizing, and then have local support for whatever is eventually going to go down with it. Every bike, custom to Walmart bike shaped objects, have their out of the box issues. It will probably save you hella headaches in the future to have the support of an LBS.

#17 ·
Oh come on, be nice. The guy's having a hard week - just because he was trying to be super diligent on assembly. Bozos like me never even checked the pivots and just rode the damn thing. Figure I'll open it up whenever it starts to creak or feel gritty. When he gets his Release 2 he could probably get away with the same thing.

#22 ·
Awesome! Yeah...the code is good until next month. I just think it's a one time use per account. I burned mine already. But since my bike was defective...I'm hoping they will let me use it again on a new bike that I order from DB since they are the ones that screwed up sending out a defective bike.

#24 ·
Catch has the same pivot axle issue. I don't know if they share the same front triangle or the same links or what's even causing the problem. But it's a problem. I don't know if riding the bike over time will cause more issues...or if it's just something that's going to be a PITA once or twice a year when it's time to do maintenance on the pivots...I did think about just going with the Catch but I think I'll stay with the Release. This time I'm going Release 2 though. I just don't think I need the upgraded stuff on the Release 3. Honestly...even though I plan to ride mountain bikes a lot more in the future...it's still more bike than I need. I can put that $300 to better use. Right now I'm just waiting on word from DB as to whether or not they are going to give me the 10% off again on the new bike since it's their screw up that is causing me to have to return the bike.

#25 ·
Cool, sounds like you know what you like and if bigger tires aren't exciting, then Release FTW. Both Catch and Release use the same level link pivot setup, but in my opinion any problems with it are a bike to bike manufacturing/QC issue, not an overall design issue. I pulled apart my Catch 2 this weekend to properly grease and loctite all suspension pivots and a mallet was never needed. I just had to get the alignment right and everything slid back in no problem.

I'm used to needing to get out a mallet for my dirt bike suspension parts, but those parts are fastened with a nut on the other end, never banging a bolt into threads on the other side of the frame. It seems to me if you need a mallet on these bikes, something is likely wrong and you were smart to find that out right away within the return period.

I've found many bolts on this bike that weren't torqued properly or missing loctite or missing a spacer, etc. I consider it somewhat imperative to go through all the details on any of these bikes because based on many people's comments here, important stuff appears to be getting missed.

#26 ·
Well...I do really like the idea of bigger tires. I like the idea of shorter stays and a slacker bike too. I can get 2/3 with the Catch or 3/3 with the Release since it will take 2.8/2.6 or 2.6/2.6 tires. If the Release was more limited in tire size I'd probably opt for the Catch despite the longer stays.

#27 ·
I have no skin in the game here so this isn't a suggestion or criticism, but are you sure you like the idea of shorter stays? You mention twice in this thread about not being immediately receptive to having your weight further back over the rear tire. That's why I mentioned you might actually prefer the longer chainstays.

Just something to consider since if you're not going with the higher end part spec of the Release 3, the only major differences between the Release 2/Catch 2 come down to tire size and geometry. I know longer, lower and slacker is one of the latest trends in an industry that desperately seeks out new trends, but maybe for some riding styles it has already gone too far? Of course the same can be said about 27.5+ tires, lol. Something to chew on.

#30 ·
I have no skin in the game here so this isn't a suggestion or criticism, but are you sure you like the idea of shorter stays? You mention twice in this thread about not being immediately receptive to having your weight further back over the rear tire. That's why I mentioned you might actually prefer the longer chainstays.

Just something to consider since if you're not going with the higher end part spec of the Release 3, the only major differences between the Release 2/Catch 2 come down to tire size and geometry. I know longer, lower and slacker is one of the latest trends in an industry that desperately seeks out new trends, but maybe for some riding styles it has already gone too far? Of course the same can be said about 27.5+ tires, lol. Something to chew on.
I don't think that has anything to do with the stays but rather a fit issue or possibly just the geometry of the bike. It's not that I don't want weight over the rear wheel...it's that when I am in the attack position I am WAY back...like just way too far. When I do a step decent it just puts me so far back that I actually have trouble getting back up and over the saddle into a proper position. It's just really strange. I've never had such an issue with any other bike. In fact other bikes I've actually struggled to get far enough back. This bike I'm struggling to not get too far back. When I order the new bike I think I'm going to go with an XL and see if the longer reach is what I need. The sizing is confusing. The chart on the site says one thing. The sticker on the bike says another. According to the sticker...the bike is too small. I know those are general guidlelines...but from the second I pulled the bike out of the box and got it together it felt small. I just figured I'd get used to it and for the most part it is ok. It's just the problem with getting too far back. And who knows...might be just me doing something wrong. I figure if I get the XL I can play with it a little in the yard and keep it in like new condition. If the larger size doesn't fix my perceived issue...I can send the bike back and re-order a Catch and give that a try to see if there is something to the longer stays and my problem.

#31 ·
And who knows...maybe these bikes just aren't for me. I guess this is the risk of direct sales and not trying before buying....but the savings is really hard to pass up even for the amount of frustration that is potentially involved to get things ironed out.

And to add...just a customer service note...DB did offer me a $100 credit for the scratch on the frame and also said that if I wanted, I could take the bike to a shop and have the cassette looked at to confirm whether it was bent or there was a hub issue or to determine if I'm full of crap and just seeing things...which I'm am but I'm not. The cassette absolutely wobbles and ghost shifts off the 42T so that tells me for a fact there's a problem.

So if there is a problem as determined by the shop, then DB will fix it and cover all shop charges associate with the repair. So there's two points for DB.

But.....

They didn't address the main problem and that's the pivot issue. And that's the only reason I even filed a warranty claim. The cassette if bent can be straightened easily I'm sure or replaced. The paint...sucks but the bike will get beat up anyways. But the pivot issue is concerning. Whether it causes future issues or not is yet to be determined and just the PITA it is to service the pivots and the risk of damaging the bike trying to work on it...and my luck that will happen after the warranty is expired. That's the issue I want DB to address. So at this point, bike is boxed up and ready to ship. I'm not screwing with it anymore. I'll send it back and order a new one as soon as I find out about the 10% discount and whether they will honor that for me again or not.

So minus three points from DB for not offering a solution on the main and most serious problem and not addressing whether they will honor the 10% discount.

#32 ·
I would absolutely recommend the Release 3 over the 2 if you're doing it. Fork,shock, and brake upgrades plus nice dropper lever rather than a cheapo. NO QUESTION for me. I've already pulled the Levels off and swapped them for Zee's and as a big guy, watermonkey has said the Plus shock does much better than the non-plus can. All in all, it may be a better price... but heck send me your fork and rear shock and all send you mine (Pike RC and Monarch RT3) with a couple hundred dollars stuffed in it. I already have the Pike set at 150 mm and it has fresh oil in the lowers :).

But I do tend to think you're on the wrong sized bike based on what you're saying.

#33 ·
New email from DB. They are now willing to ship me a new bike while the busted one is en-route to them. As long as they have confirmation that I shipped my bike back, they will send me a new one. I just have to make sure they will send me the XL instead of the L. So that's a big plus. Otherwise I was looking at several days for the bike to arrive, 2-3 weeks for refund. Order new bike and several more days to receive...I would be out the bike for up to a month getting this situated. So kudos to DB for this.

I'm still kinda on the fence between just getting the 3 again or dropping down to a 2. I know the shock and brakes are nicer. But I'll probably end up replacing the brakes anyways I think. Fork...is it actually better on the 3? Are the internals different or is it just the addition of the 3 position compression damping and how useful is that anyways? I honestly don't know. This is my first fork in a while and what I had prior didn't have anything like that.

Shock...another part that might get replaced. Seems like the Monarch is hit or miss for us heavier riders. So far, at 300 psi I still seem to have sag issues. Didn't bottom out on my last ride but I also rode it the whole time in the locked position and I was still getting a lot of activity from the shock. Like using up more than 1/2 the travel...while locked out! And definitely had pedal bob on the climbs. Locked out! I'm only 265 (275-ish geared). I would think that yeah...I'm heavy...but shouldn't a shock at 300psi be able to handle that? It maxes out at 350...maybe it needs more air but I'm sure that will be at the detriment to ride quality.

So I'm looking at the Manitou McLeod option as suggested to me in another thread in the clyde section by another heavy rider...unless someone else here has some other input on the Monarch shock situation. And I do plan on and am actively losing weight...diet went to crap the past couple months but I'm back on track so if all goes well I'll probably 250-255 by the end of next month. So maybe that additional 10-15 pounds of weight loss will make a pretty good impact on the shock?

#34 ·
New email from DB. They are now willing to ship me a new bike while the busted one is
en-route to them. As long as they have confirmation that I shipped my bike back, they will send me a new one. I just have to make sure they will send me the XL instead of the L. So that's a big plus. Otherwise I was looking at several days for the bike to arrive, 2-3 weeks for refund. Order new bike and several more days to receive...I would be out the bike for up to a month getting this situated. So kudos to DB for this. I'm still kinda on the fence between just getting the 3 and dropping down to a 2. I know the shock and brakes are nicer. But I'll end up replacing the brakes anyways I think. Fork...is it actually better on the 3? Are the internal different or is it just the addition of the 3 position compression damping and how useful is that anyways? I honestly don't know. This is my first fork in a while and what I had prior didn't have anything like that. Shock...another part that might get replaced anyways. Seems like the Monarch is hit or miss for us heavier riders. So far, at 300 psi I still seem to have sag issues. Didn't bottom out on my last ride but I also rode it the whole time in the locked position and I was still getting a lot of activity from the shock. I'm only 265 (275-ish geared). So I'm looking at the Manitou McLeod option as suggested to me in another thread in the clyde section...unless someone else here has some other input on the shock situation.
That is the difference on the Pike, and the Monarch is just a plus can with a slightly firmer feel as reported by others. :)

#35 · (Edited)
Little update...bike is boxed and ready to go. Just waiting for FedEx to pick it up. DB told me they cannot do an exchange for a different size. So what they are going to do...once they have confirmation (my word basically) that my bike is on the FedEx truck they are going to do an expedited money return and I should have it in a day or two. I was also given a new discount code to use when I order the new bike. So...not ideal but not nearly as bad as it could be. I mean DB could be a nightmare to deal with (which they are not) but even though this ordeal has been a little PITA...they are doing a pretty good job of making things right. I just hope they get their act together soon that that they don't have to do this so often. Definitely need some improved QC measures in place.

***Bike is on the truck. Hopefully refund will come through quickly and I can order by tomorrow but probably won't matter...I doubt I'd get it by the weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.