Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Take10 works, in fact I just called and had it added to my order retroactively. Thanks Nubster!
Awesome! Yeah...the code is good until next month. I just think it's a one time use per account. I burned mine already. But since my bike was defective...I'm hoping they will let me use it again on a new bike that I order from DB since they are the ones that screwed up sending out a defective bike.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Catch has the same pivot axle issue. I don't know if they share the same front triangle or the same links or what's even causing the problem. But it's a problem. I don't know if riding the bike over time will cause more issues...or if it's just something that's going to be a PITA once or twice a year when it's time to do maintenance on the pivots...I did think about just going with the Catch but I think I'll stay with the Release. This time I'm going Release 2 though. I just don't think I need the upgraded stuff on the Release 3. Honestly...even though I plan to ride mountain bikes a lot more in the future...it's still more bike than I need. I can put that $300 to better use. Right now I'm just waiting on word from DB as to whether or not they are going to give me the 10% off again on the new bike since it's their screw up that is causing me to have to return the bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cool, sounds like you know what you like and if bigger tires aren't exciting, then Release FTW. Both Catch and Release use the same level link pivot setup, but in my opinion any problems with it are a bike to bike manufacturing/QC issue, not an overall design issue. I pulled apart my Catch 2 this weekend to properly grease and loctite all suspension pivots and a mallet was never needed. I just had to get the alignment right and everything slid back in no problem.

I'm used to needing to get out a mallet for my dirt bike suspension parts, but those parts are fastened with a nut on the other end, never banging a bolt into threads on the other side of the frame. It seems to me if you need a mallet on these bikes, something is likely wrong and you were smart to find that out right away within the return period.

I've found many bolts on this bike that weren't torqued properly or missing loctite or missing a spacer, etc. I consider it somewhat imperative to go through all the details on any of these bikes because based on many people's comments here, important stuff appears to be getting missed.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well...I do really like the idea of bigger tires. I like the idea of shorter stays and a slacker bike too. I can get 2/3 with the Catch or 3/3 with the Release since it will take 2.8/2.6 or 2.6/2.6 tires. If the Release was more limited in tire size I'd probably opt for the Catch despite the longer stays.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have no skin in the game here so this isn't a suggestion or criticism, but are you sure you like the idea of shorter stays? You mention twice in this thread about not being immediately receptive to having your weight further back over the rear tire. That's why I mentioned you might actually prefer the longer chainstays.

Just something to consider since if you're not going with the higher end part spec of the Release 3, the only major differences between the Release 2/Catch 2 come down to tire size and geometry. I know longer, lower and slacker is one of the latest trends in an industry that desperately seeks out new trends, but maybe for some riding styles it has already gone too far? Of course the same can be said about 27.5+ tires, lol. Something to chew on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I jsut purchased my 3 yesterday. I may have to buy another one now as I didnt see the Take10 coupon code. That wouldve saved me another $250 over my corp discount as well. I wonder how that will work. DB has good customer service so far from when I had to reach out to them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I jsut purchased my 3 yesterday. I may have to buy another one now as I didnt see the Take10 coupon code. That wouldve saved me another $250 over my corp discount as well. I wonder how that will work. DB has good customer service so far from when I had to reach out to them.
Call them, they're honor it yet.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have no skin in the game here so this isn't a suggestion or criticism, but are you sure you like the idea of shorter stays? You mention twice in this thread about not being immediately receptive to having your weight further back over the rear tire. That's why I mentioned you might actually prefer the longer chainstays.

Just something to consider since if you're not going with the higher end part spec of the Release 3, the only major differences between the Release 2/Catch 2 come down to tire size and geometry. I know longer, lower and slacker is one of the latest trends in an industry that desperately seeks out new trends, but maybe for some riding styles it has already gone too far? Of course the same can be said about 27.5+ tires, lol. Something to chew on.
I don't think that has anything to do with the stays but rather a fit issue or possibly just the geometry of the bike. It's not that I don't want weight over the rear wheel...it's that when I am in the attack position I am WAY back...like just way too far. When I do a step decent it just puts me so far back that I actually have trouble getting back up and over the saddle into a proper position. It's just really strange. I've never had such an issue with any other bike. In fact other bikes I've actually struggled to get far enough back. This bike I'm struggling to not get too far back. When I order the new bike I think I'm going to go with an XL and see if the longer reach is what I need. The sizing is confusing. The chart on the site says one thing. The sticker on the bike says another. According to the sticker...the bike is too small. I know those are general guidlelines...but from the second I pulled the bike out of the box and got it together it felt small. I just figured I'd get used to it and for the most part it is ok. It's just the problem with getting too far back. And who knows...might be just me doing something wrong. I figure if I get the XL I can play with it a little in the yard and keep it in like new condition. If the larger size doesn't fix my perceived issue...I can send the bike back and re-order a Catch and give that a try to see if there is something to the longer stays and my problem.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
And who knows...maybe these bikes just aren't for me. I guess this is the risk of direct sales and not trying before buying....but the savings is really hard to pass up even for the amount of frustration that is potentially involved to get things ironed out.

And to add...just a customer service note...DB did offer me a $100 credit for the scratch on the frame and also said that if I wanted, I could take the bike to a shop and have the cassette looked at to confirm whether it was bent or there was a hub issue or to determine if I'm full of crap and just seeing things...which I'm am but I'm not. The cassette absolutely wobbles and ghost shifts off the 42T so that tells me for a fact there's a problem.

So if there is a problem as determined by the shop, then DB will fix it and cover all shop charges associate with the repair. So there's two points for DB.

But.....

They didn't address the main problem and that's the pivot issue. And that's the only reason I even filed a warranty claim. The cassette if bent can be straightened easily I'm sure or replaced. The paint...sucks but the bike will get beat up anyways. But the pivot issue is concerning. Whether it causes future issues or not is yet to be determined and just the PITA it is to service the pivots and the risk of damaging the bike trying to work on it...and my luck that will happen after the warranty is expired. That's the issue I want DB to address. So at this point, bike is boxed up and ready to ship. I'm not screwing with it anymore. I'll send it back and order a new one as soon as I find out about the 10% discount and whether they will honor that for me again or not.

So minus three points from DB for not offering a solution on the main and most serious problem and not addressing whether they will honor the 10% discount.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would absolutely recommend the Release 3 over the 2 if you're doing it. Fork,shock, and brake upgrades plus nice dropper lever rather than a cheapo. NO QUESTION for me. I've already pulled the Levels off and swapped them for Zee's and as a big guy, watermonkey has said the Plus shock does much better than the non-plus can. All in all, it may be a better price... but heck send me your fork and rear shock and all send you mine (Pike RC and Monarch RT3) with a couple hundred dollars stuffed in it. I already have the Pike set at 150 mm and it has fresh oil in the lowers :).

But I do tend to think you're on the wrong sized bike based on what you're saying.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
New email from DB. They are now willing to ship me a new bike while the busted one is en-route to them. As long as they have confirmation that I shipped my bike back, they will send me a new one. I just have to make sure they will send me the XL instead of the L. So that's a big plus. Otherwise I was looking at several days for the bike to arrive, 2-3 weeks for refund. Order new bike and several more days to receive...I would be out the bike for up to a month getting this situated. So kudos to DB for this.

I'm still kinda on the fence between just getting the 3 again or dropping down to a 2. I know the shock and brakes are nicer. But I'll probably end up replacing the brakes anyways I think. Fork...is it actually better on the 3? Are the internals different or is it just the addition of the 3 position compression damping and how useful is that anyways? I honestly don't know. This is my first fork in a while and what I had prior didn't have anything like that.

Shock...another part that might get replaced. Seems like the Monarch is hit or miss for us heavier riders. So far, at 300 psi I still seem to have sag issues. Didn't bottom out on my last ride but I also rode it the whole time in the locked position and I was still getting a lot of activity from the shock. Like using up more than 1/2 the travel...while locked out! And definitely had pedal bob on the climbs. Locked out! I'm only 265 (275-ish geared). I would think that yeah...I'm heavy...but shouldn't a shock at 300psi be able to handle that? It maxes out at 350...maybe it needs more air but I'm sure that will be at the detriment to ride quality.

So I'm looking at the Manitou McLeod option as suggested to me in another thread in the clyde section by another heavy rider...unless someone else here has some other input on the Monarch shock situation. And I do plan on and am actively losing weight...diet went to crap the past couple months but I'm back on track so if all goes well I'll probably 250-255 by the end of next month. So maybe that additional 10-15 pounds of weight loss will make a pretty good impact on the shock?

·
Registered
142 Posts
New email from DB. They are now willing to ship me a new bike while the busted one is
en-route to them. As long as they have confirmation that I shipped my bike back, they will send me a new one. I just have to make sure they will send me the XL instead of the L. So that's a big plus. Otherwise I was looking at several days for the bike to arrive, 2-3 weeks for refund. Order new bike and several more days to receive...I would be out the bike for up to a month getting this situated. So kudos to DB for this. I'm still kinda on the fence between just getting the 3 and dropping down to a 2. I know the shock and brakes are nicer. But I'll end up replacing the brakes anyways I think. Fork...is it actually better on the 3? Are the internal different or is it just the addition of the 3 position compression damping and how useful is that anyways? I honestly don't know. This is my first fork in a while and what I had prior didn't have anything like that. Shock...another part that might get replaced anyways. Seems like the Monarch is hit or miss for us heavier riders. So far, at 300 psi I still seem to have sag issues. Didn't bottom out on my last ride but I also rode it the whole time in the locked position and I was still getting a lot of activity from the shock. I'm only 265 (275-ish geared). So I'm looking at the Manitou McLeod option as suggested to me in another thread in the clyde section...unless someone else here has some other input on the shock situation.
That is the difference on the Pike, and the Monarch is just a plus can with a slightly firmer feel as reported by others. :)

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Little update...bike is boxed and ready to go. Just waiting for FedEx to pick it up. DB told me they cannot do an exchange for a different size. So what they are going to do...once they have confirmation (my word basically) that my bike is on the FedEx truck they are going to do an expedited money return and I should have it in a day or two. I was also given a new discount code to use when I order the new bike. So...not ideal but not nearly as bad as it could be. I mean DB could be a nightmare to deal with (which they are not) but even though this ordeal has been a little PITA...they are doing a pretty good job of making things right. I just hope they get their act together soon that that they don't have to do this so often. Definitely need some improved QC measures in place.

***Bike is on the truck. Hopefully refund will come through quickly and I can order by tomorrow but probably won't matter...I doubt I'd get it by the weekend.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Refund finally went through...new bike ordered. Another Release 3 but this time size XL. I'm guessing Monday delivery again.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Bike has shipped. I was also reminded of the holiday on Monday so that shot my hopes of Monday delivery all to hell. So now hoping for Tuesday drop off.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
New bike has arrived. On the stand getting built right now. So far no damage that I see. Cassette has tiny wobble but not nearly as bad as before so I think it just needs tightened up and it will be good. If not...I don't think it's enough to effect anything. I had to look hard to see it this time. First bike it was obviously bent. It wasn't just an adjustment issue. It was damaged. So yeah...high hopes this time. Everything appears good so far. So I'll post up thoughts on the larger size and further review of the bike as I get in more rides.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts