Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...figured I'd start a thread...mostly to keep track of my bike, what happens with it, my thoughts...ect. But feel free to add to it as well.

Anyways...so after a lot of reading and some videos and crunching numbers...I came to the decision to buy a DiamondBack. First one for me. Just seems that the value for them was much better than most of the other brands.

I was initially set on a 27.5 plus so I was trying to choose between the Catch and the Mason. I wasn't 100% convinced I needed full suspension but I definitely wanted front squish. So after watching more videos and getting pumped on what some others where doing on full suspension bikes...I decided to give it a shot. So at that point I was set...Catch 2 was what I was getting. Then...the Release 3 started to grab my attention. Just has a look to it...like it wants to rip. Has kinda a mean aggressive stance to it. IMO at least. Started looking at numbers and reading some more reviews. I liked that it was a little slacker. Little shorter in the rear. But I wasn't ready to spend the additional money over the Catch 2. Then it happened. Along came a sale. Not just a sale. But a sale that stacked with the corporate discount. And then along came a discount code. So once it was all tallied up...I simply could not pass up the deal. The icing on the cake was the confirmation that 2.8 tires will fit up front and in the back with slight rubbing which probably means 2.6 tires should be good to go. So now I'm looking at better parts, more aggressive bike, and the ability to run plus size tires. Win, win, win!

Bike ordered on Friday. Received on Monday. New bike day...always exciting. The bike was well packaged and the way it was done made it so easy to unpack.

20914592_10155601594489291_1322550130464863164_n.jpg

20994239_10155601594654291_8466808975350523656_n.jpg

Assembly was a breeze. I went from sealed box to built bike in less than 20 minutes. No joke. All that you need to do, for anyone reading this that hasn't ordered a bike from DB yet...is install the front wheel, attach the handle bars (taking care to sort out the cables), and insert the seatpost. That's it. Bike built!

20952970_10155601594919291_6236134128165319777_n.jpg

Now to my dismay...I did find a few issues with my bike. First was some paint chipping on the downtube. Noticed this as I was pulling the bike out of the box. So I know it was there already and not something I did.

downtube damage.jpg

So that's always a little bit of a bummer. But...I figure there's more to come...so I wasn't going to worry much about it. But then...after messing with the bike some more...I noticed that my cassette had a wobble. Not severe but enough that it was easily seen. A few quick spins around the yard and up the street and there didn't seem to be any affect on shifting. So that's good. But still...it shouldn't wobble. I haven't sorted out whether it's the cassette or the hub yet. I'll be doing that this weekend.

But the worst was yet to come. I read a number of reports about pivots and headset and bearings being dry or having very little grease. And also torque on bolts being too loose. So I wanted to make sure that was addressed before I did any rides. So I started pulling bolts and greasing and checking bearings...headset done. Seatpost done. Wheel axles done. derailleur hanger done. Shock done (also added 4 volume reducers).

Now to the pivots. Started with the upper pivot, lower axle. Pulled the bolt and wedge. Axle out. Greased and reinstalled. Nice and easy. Started on the upper axle. Came out, no problem. Greased it up. Bearing felt good. Started to reinstall. Nope. Didn't want to go in. Not sure what was up. Pushed. Pulled. Twisted. Cursed. Finally whacked it with a BFH. That worked. But shouldn't have taken a hammer to reinstall a pivot axle. Well...in all my reading seems I missed the fact that several other have reported the same issue. It appears there is some sort of misalignment between the pivot and frame or something with how the bearings are set or something. Definitely a problem and not just with my bike. Seems that DB is aware as warranty claims have been filed by others. I also filed one. I also included the wobbly cassette and paint damage. Figured might as well while I was at it. No word back yet...but it's only been a couple days as of the typing of this long winded post.

Went ahead and setup the tires tubeless. Went off without a hitch. Spent a few days trying to dial in fork and shock pressures. Still needs work...but at least it's rideable. Haven't had a suspension fork for quite a while and before when I did...I really never did anything with it. Just rode it. And totally new to shocks. So definitely a learning experience working with both.

First ride report coming.....

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
First ride in the books. Busted out about 8 miles this morning on actual single track. Holy crap is it different. From the suspension to the geometry, to the wheel size...this bike really has some potential. It's more bike than I can do anything with right now. In the last few years I've knocked out 1000's of miles of riding but 99% has been on pavement or gravel roads. Very little mountain biking. So honestly my skill set is crap. But that's going to change. This bike is going to be so much fun. Seriously. Here's what I learned today...

For me...bars too wide. Concreted after I supermaned over the bars after catching a tree in a spot that I've never had issues with before. I wish I could have been out of body to watch because I can image what I looked like. It was like super fast and in an instant. I was riding BOOM I was on the ground. No injuries other than my pride.

Air pressure. Not sure if it was just not being used to suspension up front and having never ridden with suspension in the bike...but it felt weird. Not bad. But weird. I know I still need to dial things in. It was just a whole new experience for me.

Shifting was good. No real problems. Had a couple clunkers here and there...not sure what was up with that. Cassette maybe?

One thing that bothered me, not sure if it's by design or because of my fit on the bike. But anytime I got into an aggressive posture and stood for downhills or to hit rough stuff...I found that I was WAY back on the bike. Like my arse was back behind the seat quite a bike. On every other bike I've owned it took effort to get behind the seat like I was today. But on this bike...it was just automatic. Is that a "design feature" of the geometry or is my fit wonky? Not sure that I liked it to be honest. Maybe something I just need to get used to?

Lowered the pressure of the tires. I ran 30/35 which for me is low. I'm usually 45/50 but this is the first time I've ran tubeless on a mountain bike so I wasn't sure how low I could go. Grip seemed really good and never really felt bouncy. So I guess that it's at least not too much pressure. I'll drop it a little more each ride or each lap on longer rides until I figure out a good spot for me. Today I only had time for one loop and not enough time to do any dialing...just wanted to ride and make sure things worked mostly and get a general feel for the bike.

Steering...a little twitchy really. Which kinda surprised me. I thought slacker bikes steered on the slow side? Or maybe I'm thinking opposite? Anyways...it was pretty quick handling. Could be the short stem too...or that my other bike steers like a tank so this one being more normal just make things feel quicker. Just something I'll have to get used to. May end up trying a longer stem anyways...just to lengthen the reach a little. I want to try shorter bars too.

Weight...some people complain about the weight. Didn't notice. My Kona isn't a feather weight but is still a bit lighter. Probably 6-7 pounds less. My Jamis is a 20 pounder. My Canondale F29 was also just a little over 20 pounds. So I know what a pretty light bike feels like. The weight of this bike never registered. Maybe once I get some rides in areas with climbs that weight will show its ugly face. But today...nope.

So yeah...I think that's about it for now. If I think of more I'll add it later. But overall, despite the issues in the first post and the issue from today's ride...I have no doubt I made the right choice with this bike. It now just a matter of getting things fixed through DB. Dialing in the bike. And working on my skills. I see many more trail miles per year in my future.

And after today and hitting some areas like this which I've ridden plenty of times on my rigid...I can't understand why I waited so long to get full suspension...it was SO nice not feeling beat up after the ride....

https://www.strava.com/activities/1151323629

21016146_10155611899534291_6809168726003122696_o.jpg

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'll try to keep it rolling.

Also...forgot to add above...needs new grips. Not much to the stock ones. they are grippy...but no cushion. I'll be ordering some ESI Extra Chunky grips tonight.

Oh yeah...also...first time on flats. It was interesting. Jury is still out on that one. But I'll give it a couple more rides before deciding.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks. I'll try to keep it rolling.

Also...forgot to add above...needs new grips. Not much to the stock ones. they are grippy...but no cushion. I'll be ordering some ESI Extra Chunky grips tonight.

Oh yeah...also...first time on flats. It was interesting. Jury is still out on that one. But I'll give it a couple more rides before deciding.
I agree, very nice write up! If you decide to stick with flats I'd highly suggest dropping a little more dough on a set of Race Face Chester pedals. They are super light and have amazing grip. I have them on both of my bikes.

My Clutch came with a 35mm stem and steering was crazy twitchy at low speeds. A longer, 50mm stem helped (more weight over the front I guess?)

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DiamondBack wants my bike back :/

Here's the email I just got....

" Hi Chad,

Sounds like there are many issues with this bike. It may be our collective interest to facilitate a return for this bicycle.
please visit the link below to start the return process.
Contact Diamondback Bikes | Diamondback Bikes

Thanks for reaching out, let us know if you have any other questions.

Cheers!"

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah...I just filled out the form for a return...but I asked about exchange rather than a simple return. My concern would be that if I return it and have to wait for a refund...they might sell out of the bike before I can order a new one. Not sure if that would be likely...but...I'd be super pissed if it did. I want to see if they might send one as I send mine back so that I can ensure I'm getting another bike.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did a slightly more legit ride today, 11.7m and 1,480 feet. No time to type out much...but the bent cassette/hub reared it's ugly face. Wouldn't stay on the 42T for the steeper climbs. Thank goodness for single speeding....I had the legs to do ok....but that lower gear would have been nice a few times. Still needs some shock tuning for sure and that position where I'm getting WAY too far back is getting quite annoying.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1155271600

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yeah...I just filled out the form for a return...but I asked about exchange rather than a simple return.
I sure hope that's exactly what the DB's offer will be. They may still ask you to ship the bike back to them first before they ship out the replacement but either way you should be getting a brand new Release at some point in the future. Keep us posted and good luck.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the shipping label today. Guess I'll be washing the bike and packing it up to return. DB won't do an exchange...I have to just buy a new bike. Also my 10% off is no longer valid so checking to see if I can get a new code.

After some thought...I may just downgrade a little to the Release 2 instead of the 3. Save me $300 and I doubt very seriously I'll notice any loss of performance or any increase in weight. I'm sure we would be talking mere grams if there is any increase. Heck...I might even just grab a Catch instead. If they had one in stock...I'd actually be really tempted to say hell with it and just get a Mason Pro instead and that way I wouldn't have to even work about rear suspension. Who knows. I won't be doing anything until the bike is returned and I get my refund.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Got the shipping label today. Guess I'll be washing the bike and packing it up to return. DB won't do an exchange...I have to just buy a new bike. Also my 10% off is no longer valid so checking to see if I can get a new code.

After some thought...I may just downgrade a little to the Release 2 instead of the 3. Save me $300 and I doubt very seriously I'll notice any loss of performance or any increase in weight. I'm sure we would be talking mere grams if there is any increase. Heck...I might even just grab a Catch instead. If they had one in stock...I'd actually be really tempted to say hell with it and just get a Mason Pro instead and that way I wouldn't have to even work about rear suspension. Who knows. I won't be doing anything until the bike is returned and I get my refund.
Man that really blows. Keep us posted on what they have to say about he take10 code. Surely they will give that to you.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
After some thought...I may just downgrade a little to the Release 2 instead of the 3. Heck...I might even just grab a Catch instead. If they had one in stock...I'd actually be really tempted to say hell with it and just get a Mason Pro instead and that way I wouldn't have to even work about rear suspension. Who knows.
Sweet zombie Jesus son! You almost broke the internet with the number of posts leading up to getting THIS bike. We gotta sit through all this again? Me thinks you should shop local, find something to ride first for sizing, and then have local support for whatever is eventually going to go down with it. Every bike, custom to Walmart bike shaped objects, have their out of the box issues. It will probably save you hella headaches in the future to have the support of an LBS.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Oh come on, be nice. The guy's having a hard week - just because he was trying to be super diligent on assembly. Bozos like me never even checked the pivots and just rode the damn thing. Figure I'll open it up whenever it starts to creak or feel gritty. When he gets his Release 2 he could probably get away with the same thing.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Sweet zombie Jesus son! You almost broke the internet with the number of posts leading up to getting THIS bike. We gotta sit through all this again? Me thinks you should shop local, find something to ride first for sizing, and then have local support for whatever is eventually going to go down with it. Every bike, custom to Walmart bike shaped objects, have their out of the box issues. It will probably save you hella headaches in the future to have the support of an LBS.
You show me a bike that I can get for $2200 as well spec'ed as the Release 3 (or as well spec'ed as the Release 2 for $1,936)...I'll find a shop that carries that brand near me and I'll buy that bike from them.

soshow-me-another-bike-as-well-equipped-for-2200-or-less-ill-just-wait-here.jpg

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Take 10 works still for me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Just tried, same here.
But have either of you actually used the code yet? I did. I think it's a one time code per account. So now it won't work for me when I put a new bike in the cart and try to apply the code. I suppose if all else fails...I can start a new account...but that might create a mess.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts