Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
boba fett on a bike
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd also post this here since I'm in Omaha and maybe some of you local guys would be easier on me than in the other sub-forums here that I posted in. :D

Just before the holidays I picked up a brand new 08 Redline Monocog Flight 29er frame at a LBS for a good price. :thumbsup: I've been riding in my adult life the past 2 yrs and I'm hooked. This will be my first build. I will probably take the frame into a LBS to get certain things done for lack of tools or fear of screwing something up.

Christmas (which was also my birthday) has came and went. I didn't buy anything for my Redline build because I was waiting to see if I would get anything for it as gifts.

My gf got me a set of cheap and heavy, but strong wheels. My thoughts are wheels can always be upgraded later (and I will). It also doesn't hurt to have a 2nd set of wheels if I decide to start racing sometime in the future.

WTB Dual Duty FR rims w/ Shimano hubs.

Okay so now I need to get serious about piecing this thing together. First off I'm trying to build a really good bike on a budget. Is that even possible? :rolleyes:

Let's talk forks...I'm going squish. I haven't decided on 80mm or 100mm of travel. The Reba or Fox has gathered most of my interest. I had a Reba on my 07 GF Rig and I also have had a couple different Fox forks on my Specialized bikes.

If I want to save some money...I've read some good things about the Manitou Drake after searching here. It's on sale at Jenson for $235 right now. It looks like the only model they have left has the 20mm Thru Axle. My hubs have the regular QR. Can I still use that fork with my wheelset? Any benefits to the 20mm TA?

Another option I've been thinking about is buying a leftover bike on sale and then parting it out...swapping over the parts to my frame and selling what I don't need on e-bay and CL.

Thanks for the comments and criticism ahead of time. :D

-Todd

·
Registered
204 Posts
So obviously you are wanting to build this thing up for trail riding? Assuming w/ your fork choice. Why not rigid with the other rigs you have? Pretty versatile if you go rigid. Going 1x9? There is one on ebay right now that might be worth looking at....but I guess if you did that you wouldn't have to part it out if its the right size. You would just have to sell yours. You would probably get off cheaper finding a slightly used one and not have to worry about the hassle and money spent having it in the shop....but kind of takes the fun out of building your own bike up. Good luck brother and Happy Birthday btw! Keep me posted. Brian

·
Registered
204 Posts
well....

not much interest here apparently, huh Todd? Im sure the forum visits are down due to the 3 feet of snow we have outside! :) You decide on anything yet?

·
boba fett on a bike
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
huskerXCrider said:
So obviously you are wanting to build this thing up for trail riding? Assuming w/ your fork choice. Why not rigid with the other rigs you have? Pretty versatile if you go rigid. Going 1x9? There is one on ebay right now that might be worth looking at....but I guess if you did that you wouldn't have to part it out if its the right size. You would just have to sell yours. You would probably get off cheaper finding a slightly used one and not have to worry about the hassle and money spent having it in the shop....but kind of takes the fun out of building your own bike up. Good luck brother and Happy Birthday btw! Keep me posted. Brian
Hey Brian. Yeah not too much action in this thread. Oh well...I posted an identical thread in the 29er forum that has more interest. ;)

Yeah I'm building this as a single speed that I might eventually race someday (once I get back into shape that is). :D I don't think my 35 yr old body can take a full rigid off road bike. Road is fine, but with my previous back injury I don't think I want to push it too much. Damn I sound old don't I. haha.

I might just buy a complete leftover 09 Monocog Flighter 29er to use as a donor bike to build this one up...then later on I would build the donor as a rigid 1x9 or something. We'll see. I'm still trying to figure out what would be the best route to go that is also cost efficient.

Oh and I ordered a Fox F29 FIT RLC 100mm just this past week. Hopefully it'll be here soon! I was on the fence between the Reba and Fox and decided to go Fox. I really like the Fox on my Epic and that was the selling point. I had a Reba on my previous bike (Gary Fisher Rig) and I did like it, but I think the Fox just feels better on my Epic. We'll see if I made the right choice once I get this Redline together. :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts