Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reba team doesnt sag into its travel making it a pain to set it up.
I weight 155 pounds and i ride a kikapu deluxe that has a 68.5 head angle.
I have tried 105 psi..... too harsh
I have tried the 60% rule
I have tried 80 and it was too soft causing me to bottom out a lot
It wont even sag into its travel with 50 psi.
It has over 100 miles.
Any advice on how to end this problem... or how to set the comprension to overcome this issues. will be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Save Jesus
Joined
·
2,947 Posts
pornstar said:
Reba team doesnt sag into its travel making it a pain to set it up.
I weight 155 pounds and i ride a kikapu deluxe that has a 68.5 head angle.
I have tried 105 psi..... too harsh
I have tried the 60% rule
I have tried 80 and it was too soft causing me to bottom out a lot
It wont even sag into its travel with 50 psi.
It has over 100 miles.
Any advice on how to end this problem... or how to set the comprension to overcome this issues. will be greatly appreciated.
You aren't running enough negative pressure. Maybe it is leaking out. Try this:

Deflate the negative pressure
inflate the positive pressure to 90 psi
Feel the fork. It is heavily preloaded.
Pump up the negative chamber to 80 psi, and WITHOUT taking the pump off yet, feel the fork again. It should have removed most of the preload.
Now take the pump off. If it doesn't feel the same, you jacked it up. Try again.

The pin on the negative schraeder valve on my Reba sticks out a lot, so sometimes the air will leak out before I finish removing the pump.
 

·
ballbuster
Joined
·
12,718 Posts
Sounds like the problem...

pornstar said:
Reba team doesnt sag into its travel making it a pain to set it up.
I weight 155 pounds and i ride a kikapu deluxe that has a 68.5 head angle.
I have tried 105 psi..... too harsh
I have tried the 60% rule
I have tried 80 and it was too soft causing me to bottom out a lot
It wont even sag into its travel with 50 psi.
It has over 100 miles.
Any advice on how to end this problem... or how to set the comprension to overcome this issues. will be greatly appreciated.
... with an early production run (and I got one of those, and swapped it for a new one). There is an internal o-ring that rolles over and lets the negative air mix with the positive air, which makes the fork top out hard. Try letting the air out of both chambers and let it sit overnight. If it happens again, I say call Rockshox Tech Support, and have them swap out your fork.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok here it goes... today i tried 85 + 85-
and it was a disaster the fork dived a lot and i tended to wonder instead of "breaking through as i am used to.
I didnt use more than 3/4 travel because i didnt feel confident enough to go fast enough.

It didnt bottom out like you said so i dont believe that this is a seal issue.
It just doesnt sag, when it was new it didnt sag at all it felt sticky and needed a little push and it freed. Now it sags just a cm or so and needs that push to get free of that stickyness.
It doesnt fell when riding, at least i dont notice it.
What i do notice is that if i force the fork while standing the first 1/3 of its travel will go down smooth, but if i press hard enough to pass through that theres a "burp" like sound and it feels mushy. But neither the + or the - chamber looses air.
 

·
mtbr platinum member
Joined
·
1,426 Posts
Sounds like your shock pump isn't the 'lossless' kind and you're losing a lot of your pressure when you remove it. What kind of pump do you use. Those cheapie Performance or Supergo pumps are the ticket. The Supergo pump comes under many different names, like Manitou.
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
pornstar said:
Reba team doesnt sag into its travel making it a pain to set it up.
I weight 155 pounds and i ride a kikapu deluxe that has a 68.5 head angle.
I have tried 105 psi..... too harsh
I have tried the 60% rule
I have tried 80 and it was too soft causing me to bottom out a lot
It wont even sag into its travel with 50 psi.
It has over 100 miles.
Any advice on how to end this problem... or how to set the comprension to overcome this issues. will be greatly appreciated.
Porn... did you get a Reba???!!! Cool... from who? How much here in Mexico?

Check the semi-bath oil... you might be empty of it too.

Decrease the negative pressure if it goes thru it's travel.

Good Luck!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Warp2003 said:
Porn... did you get a Reba???!!! Cool... from who? How much here in Mexico?

Check the semi-bath oil... you might be empty of it too.

Decrease the negative pressure if it goes thru it's travel.

Good Luck!!
Yeah i got a reba to get rid of my Mx Comp.
what a difference a lot more sturdy and lighter.
It´s just a pain in the ass to set up with all the options it gives ya.
Specdially since it doesnt sag to have a reference.

I didnt buy it in Mexico.
I know where they sell it in fact my LBS Kelly´s Bike Shop gets it from the Distributors the problem is that they are giving it 3 times more expensive than in the States.
I bought mine in Phoenix at $350 REBA TEAM.
They sell the REBA SL in Mexico at $900.00 :rolleyes:

How do i check the semi bath oil? and what should i be looking for?
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
pornstar said:
Yeah i got a reba to get rid of my Mx Comp.
what a difference a lot more sturdy and lighter.
It´s just a pain in the ass to set up with all the options it gives ya.
Specdially since it doesnt sag to have a reference.

I didnt buy it in Mexico.
I know where they sell it in fact my LBS Kelly´s Bike Shop gets it from the Distributors the problem is that they are giving it 3 times more expensive than in the States.
I bought mine in Phoenix at $350 REBA TEAM.
They sell the REBA SL in Mexico at $900.00 :rolleyes:

How do i check the semi bath oil? and what should i be looking for?
Go to the SRAM site and download the SERVICE INSTRUCTIONS, not the manual. The manual is a bad joke manufacturers play to MTB'ers.

You're looking for... well, oil... No joke. Your fork uses oil at the cartridge, a bit of oil at the air piston and some oil more between the lowers and the uppers... this last one is the semi-bath and it lubes the bushings making it to actually slide. If you don't enough oil in there, the fork will feel notchy, despite the pressure and can damage your bushings.

Check it out.

Yeah... fork prices in Mexico are plain silly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
If it makes u feel any better PS I don't get more than 12mm of SAG when my REBA SL is set up properly. I know that RS calls for about 20mm SAG, but u know what the fork works great like this so I couldn't give a [email protected] a$$ what RS recomends - their [email protected] PSIs r so off it wouldn't surprise me that there SAG recomendations r also off. Once again I'm 175-180lbs w/out gear 185-195 w/ gear and I run 90-100 POS and 60 NEG, get full travel but don't blow through it and the fork feels great. I've got it at 115mm now so maybe that's y I could go down below 100POS for my weight since it has the bit more travel, when I was @ 100mm I used around 100-110 POS.

As suggested if ur handy at this sort of thing u might have a lack of oil and as I learnt when I serviced mine the oil levels make a huge difference in how the fork works and feels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LyNx said:
If it makes u feel any better PS I don't get more than 12mm of SAG when my REBA SL is set up properly. I know that RS calls for about 20mm SAG, but u know what the fork works great like this so I couldn't give a [email protected] a$$ what RS recomends - their [email protected] PSIs r so off it wouldn't surprise me that there SAG recomendations r also off. Once again I'm 175-180lbs w/out gear 185-195 w/ gear and I run 90-100 POS and 60 NEG, get full travel but don't blow through it and the fork feels great. I've got it at 115mm now so maybe that's y I could go down below 100POS for my weight since it has the bit more travel, when I was @ 100mm I used around 100-110 POS.

As suggested if ur handy at this sort of thing u might have a lack of oil and as I learnt when I serviced mine the oil levels make a huge difference in how the fork works and feels.
Thanks for your reply...
About the oil levels did you sety the oil level RS recomends ?
Did you use 5 w o one leg and 15 on the other leg as recomended?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
pornstar said:
Thanks for your reply...
About the oil levels did you sety the oil level RS recomends ?
Did you use 5 w o one leg and 15 on the other leg as recomended?
Yes I used the RS recomended levels for the oil and the weight oil they specd - 5wt is most of what u need and also a little 15wt for the lowers. Followed their Service Guide to the T. Oh and if ur in there u could if u want extend the travel to 115mm by removing the spacer.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top