Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I rode 'Whistler XC'
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my crankset has finally kicked the bucket!

After losing several chainring bolts, loosening crankbolts and $h!te bottom brackets, she's now officially gone!

My bike developed an intense, brain-rattling squeek about a month ago. I removed, checked and lubed the bb about two weeks ago and found a small part of the dust cover that covers the bearing itself inside the XTR bb was broken out(couldn't get a RF bb when the first one packed up after 4 months)

So i assumed(NEVER-EVER DO THIS!!!) the bb was gone and replaced it last week.

Well, the squeeking persisted.

So, today, while taking of the pedals to rebuild them just in case that was the problem, i decided to check if there was a squeek with the pedals off by pressing against the cranks.

yup...still there. Not the pedals.

Thought it might be a suspension pivot and after pushing on various parts of the frame i figured that it wasn't the frame.

Checked the crank again and this was when i discovered the left crankarm moving on the spindle. Crankset is two years old, so is out of warrenty.

I'M DONE WITH RACE FACE!!! When my bb packed up after 4 months they did not reply to any emails or voice messages. I've never owned such a problematic bike part in 14 years of riding!

·
I rode 'Whistler XC'
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason I thought they were out of warrenty is because the agents here in South Africa where i live only give a year warrenty....WTF?

Anyway, problem is i bought them from Jenson so the agents here won't help me.

I'm trying to decide whether it'll actually be worth the hassle of sending them all the way there and being without them for probably a month or to just buy something else.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Send them back to jensonUSA and in the meantime pick up yourself a set of XT cranks:)

Then when you get your Deus back - sell them off as by the sounds of it your really over having to use this product (although I do love mine!)

·
I rode 'Whistler XC'
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anybody else had this kind of failure and how were RaceFace about resolving it?

I don't wanna waste the cash to send it all the way there since it's going to cost about a quarter of the price of a new one and then have them not replace it.

·
I rode 'Whistler XC'
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bike_freak said:
Send them back to jensonUSA and in the meantime pick up yourself a set of XT cranks:)

Then when you get your Deus back - sell them off as by the sounds of it your really over having to use this product (although I do love mine!)
Your right....not going there again. My LBS went further than the S.African agents and is prepared to sell me a new set at his cost, but then he keeps the rings. Not spending more dough on RF though.

Am thinking of going with a new XTR from Chain Reaction Cycles and then dump the Deus if/when it gets replaced. Problem is they'll only replace the left side crank so i'll be selling a 2nd hand crank effectively which will not make me much money when considering how much it'll cost to send these all the way to Jenson. Which is why i'm thinking of just leaving it.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
I broke a couple of chain rings on my Deus cranks, along with a new BB bracket after a year.... So I went with the FSA carbon giga bla bla................ Those XTR are a nice though, but am not a Shimano type a guy...LOL.......................... Chain Reaction should get stuff to you pretty quick hopefully. They have been good in gettting stuff to me in Spain.. Good luck bro

·
I rode 'Whistler XC'
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Whafe....am actually anti-Shimano, but everywhere you turn it seems the XTR cranks are touted as just the best crankset....period.

Haven't quite decided which way i'll go. Know plenty of guys running them an haven't heard a single complaint.

Cheers
Mint

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
hearing a few good things in regards to the Crank Bros crankset. Could be an option, looks the ducks nuts also................

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree w/ you. RF cranks are crap. I've had my far share of the Deus, Evolve, and the Evolve DH. All of which seem to chew up BB and develop some sort of creak w/ in its 1-2 yrs of service. RF does not seem to back there product and never onced tried to work me or my lbs to replace the crank arm that cracked. I then switched to the XTR M960 and have not looked back. I like the way Shimano cranks go in, RF just seems to complicated and you end up tightening too much on the drive side which can warp the drive side crank. (I've done it)---Since the bolts all back out and you can never get anything tight, you resort to using a breaker bar to tighten everything done, which in turn warps your cranks.

Goodluck, but Id get the Deus fixed, and pick up a Shimano XTR, XT, or LX crankset.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I had the RF "Douche" cranks for a couple months and used them for light duty, nontechnical XC riding. I went through 3 BB's and broke all the chainring bolts in three months of use. The techs at RF were rude and condescending. I will never own another RF product on ny bike I own.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.