Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
luckiest of the unlucky
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You're looking at it about 2 hours out of the box.

100% stock at the moment, with the exception of the bottle cage which I saved from the garbage at my shop. The rear derailleur was a pain in the arse to get set up for some reason. The boys at my shop arent accustomed to working on SRAM components, but there is also some concern that the hanger or derailleur itself may have been bent during shipping. We got it working, but it still doesn't look quite right. Take a look at this pic and tell me what you think:

It is, as you may or may not be able to tell from the pic, raining here at the time of this post so the only time I've had in the saddle was the time it took to ride it across the street from the shop. Hopefully it will dry up abit tomorrow. I am pleased. As I rolled it into my house, my girlfriend said, "God, it looks huge!"
"I know," I responded.
:D

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Hangar is definitely crooked

Yeah, that's gonna be trouble. I'd take the hangar off, and lay it on a perfectly flat surface to check and see if it's the hangar, or if it's the way it was installed on the frame. What I mean is; the hangar looks straight in the picture. Something about it's interface with the frame looks goofy. I could be wrong, but maybe there is an odd paint build up where the two pieces mate that is causing it to hang crooked. Maybe the hangar really is bent. Either way, you need to get that remedied right away!

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
In the meantime......

Take that derailluer hangar, set it on a suitable, flat, smooth, steel surface,( some bench vises have just such a platform) grab a heavy hammer, or steel maul, and give that bad boy a straight and sharp downward blow. Flatten that lil' sucker back out! Put it back on the bike , and check alignment again. If it's good, you could then ride it right away, just don't get too far away from"home", unless your the adventuresome type. Put on your new hangar when it comes in and keep old for a spare. I've done this several times in a pinch for customers and have had no issues, YET! Anyway, just thought I'd pass that along, as nothing deflates you more than a new bike you can't ride! Good luck, and very nice bike, by the way!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Doesn't your shop have a hanger alignment tool? You screw it onto the hanger, and then you rotate the thing along the rim to see in which direction to bend it back. Works like a charm, but takes time. Custom here now is to just stick an allen into the derailer, and straighten it just like that. Easy if you can tell in which way it's bent of course, like in this case.

·
being is
286 Posts
yeah looks like the frame to me.

JoelM said:
Took it off. Dropout is bent. Dammit.
Guess I'll be giving GF a call.
Yeah, it looks like the dropout is bent or warped. Pretty odd. Can't imagine how that happened. I'd check out the rest of the frame for alignment issues as well. Whatever caused that weird dropout warp or bend might have done damage elsewhere. Maybe it got stressed while it was still hot from the powdercoat.

Bummer. Good luck.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Replaceable Hangar Blues

Ah, those little critters get bent all the time. Shipping may have done it, but more than likely, someone bumped it before it got in the box. Some hangers bend really easy, some not so much.

Cloxxki, a hangar tool "can" be used to straighten out those replaceable type hangars, however, they don't respond so well to that kind of manipulation due to the mechanical connection to the rest of the frame. It wants to flex at the bolt, instead of in the hangar itself. Better off to flatten that lil sucker with a smooth hammer on an anvil, or other such flat steel surface, than to risk more damage to the frame. Sure, it's an extra step, but safer. Of course, replacing it all together is best!

·
luckiest of the unlucky
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hanger fixed...

...for now. Turns out we do have an alignment tool. Don't know why the boys that originally said "it's bent" didn't whip it out. Regardless, it seems to be kosher now. I will still try to get my hands on an extra, just in case.
Got my first decent bit of mileage in today. Unfortunately mostly on road, but I was still very pleased. Going from the old rigid Kona to the GF Paragon is night and day. It's such a nice bike, it's unfortunate that I don't have anything else to compare it to.
Still trying to get it dialed in though. My wrists were killing me at the end of the ride today. The bars are slightly below the saddle, but nothing compared to the old bike (we're talking a few inches there). It almost makes me feel too upright. I think the first mod will be a 110mm stem, and if that doesn't fix it, I'll move to flat bars.
I'm so happy with this bike. I actually bought it to ride every day, dirt or otherwise, as I commute to school daily. Bought the big fat NY Kryptonite U-Lock and some locking skewers, and now that I have the bike I'm almost scared to let it out of my sight!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Ah, those little critters get bent all the time. Shipping may have done it, but more than likely, someone bumped it before it got in the box. Some hangers bend really easy, some not so much.

Cloxxki, a hangar tool "can" be used to straighten out those replaceable type hangars, however, they don't respond so well to that kind of manipulation due to the mechanical connection to the rest of the frame. It wants to flex at the bolt, instead of in the hangar itself. Better off to flatten that lil sucker with a smooth hammer on an anvil, or other such flat steel surface, than to risk more damage to the frame. Sure, it's an extra step, but safer. Of course, replacing it all together is best!
REPLACE IT NOW. My sugar 292 came the same way and I aligned it. Aparently aluminum doenst like to be bent and my on my ride home a stick completely sheared it off resulting in some nice new nicks to my carbon stays :mad: luckily it used the same hanger as my 8000.

Any other probs with yours, I have about 3 warranty claims goin through as we speak, appantly 29ers confuse the monkeys who assemble them...

BTW nice bike, I almost went with one too (I know what you paid if yer an employee) but they were sold out, so I settled for the sugar :D

·
luckiest of the unlucky
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gunsworth said:
REPLACE IT NOW.
Perhaps I should have heeded your warning...

I actually tried to get Fisher to send me a replacement long before it broke- they told me they'd send it to me care of my shop. It never came and now I'm immobilized until I can get ahold of them again to send me a new dropout. :(

·
I like bikes
480 Posts
Get two of them!

JoelM said:

I actually tried to get Fisher to send me a replacement long before it broke- they told me they'd send it to me care of my shop. It never came and now I'm immobilized until I can get ahold of them again to send me a new dropout. :(
I broke one on my Intense once and had to walk the bike home. Carry the extra in your pack :)

·
Only dead people are old
711 Posts
JoelM said:
Nothing worse than having a broken new bike - kind of puts a sour taste in your mouth. I'm ill feeling just looking at it...hold on a minute...YAK! There I feel better now. It really shouldn't take 3-weeks to get a new hangar - someone is slacking on the job.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Mine's on the way(I think)

Just in case anyone is curious, my XL Paragon supposedly left Wisconsin yesterday, should be ready Friday or Monday. So, it took about 6 weeks or so from order to delivery.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wow, my New Paragon has the same prob

I picked up my Paragon Fri evening. Looks like I've got a similar prob with the rear d hanger, comparing pictures mines not far off, but it is a bit off, no where near as bad as yours was. Based on your experience with the d allignment tool, I'm thinking I'll just order a couple of hangers and wait to see what happens. Right now it shifts fine, we'll see how it does, taking it out to play today.
Initial impressions of the bike are great though. Sweet frame, hanger not withstanding, very sexy dropouts and the lugs and finish on the frame are gorgeous.
Love the way it excellerates on the flats, feels like a road bike when you take off from a stop. Expect a detailed ride report later.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.