Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading on here for far far to long I've finally got to a point where I have my own #1 to share.

Just a photo dump, you guys know the score on the basic how (I have a thread on NSMB with how details).

Make the 38mm dt fit a 36mm ht.

Jig? Don't need no stinking jig.

Last night I put on the disc tab and this morning I finished the brazing.

Tonight I'll silver on the cable guides, and if all goes well it will hit dirt on Saturday.

A huge thanks to all the people that regularly contribute on here.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't really plan on being done any time soon. I've got a couple of True Temper 44mm head tubes and 31.6 seat tubes for modern dropper post from HJ.

Last year when I ordered tubes from Nova I also got brass and flux from Wade/Cycles Design. I did not get on well with learning to braze with it. A busy summer of riding and a home landscaping project put the frame building on hold. I knew I wanted to get going on it this spring so I ordered flux, some tubes, and silver 50N/flux from HJ. I gotta admit I was intimidated to order from HJ thinking they just supplied Pros, the new website changed that.

So the replacement to this first will get started soon. Number Two will be a lugged commuter/adventure bike, I thought I could do it with the original brass and flux from CD, but I've got a lower ht lug and bb-st in the scrap steel bin to show I can't. Now that I have the silver I can get it done.

Geo is calculated with a 150mm RS Revelation and DHF 2.5 EXO's

ha 67
sa 73
cs 420mm
reach 419mm
stack - forget off the top of my head but I think it's 580mm

Tubing is Nova 38mm DT 29'er frame kits.
Down tube - 38mm - .9/.6/.9 butting
Top tube - 31.8mm - .8/.5/.8
Seat tube - 28.6 - 1.2/.6/.9 external butted for 27.2 seat post
Head tube - 36mm - 1.1
Chain stays - oval 30mm/18mm - .9/.6
Seat Stays - single taper 16mm/12.3mm - .8

The garage (16'x24') really needs some proper lighting.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Shirk

Well done, especially without the high tech stuff to build it with.

Eric

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shirk

Well done, especially without the high tech stuff to build it with.

Eric
Thanks

I think I have the absolute minimum invested in getting this going. The Oxy generator being the most expensive at $200.

I've been reading on here and VSalon for so long it really sunk in that you don't need much.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Just a little cheap thought for you. Drill a hole in the BB shell, use a threaded rod and a re-shaped nut to lock up inside the BB shell and a washer/nut at the top of the seat tube. It will make that initial ST to BB connection easier than weighting it down, keeps it more solidly held.

Yes, you don't need to much to cross the line and get an acceptable build.

Eric

1 - 15 of 15 Posts