Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
No relation
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after having lived in Colorado for eleven years and never visiting Fruita, this weekend seemed like the time to go. As I mentioned to (I think) the entire population of the town one by one, we’re in the process of relocating to Florida, so time is running out.

Saturday I strolled into Over the Edge, and got some trail recommendations from the very helpful women behind the counter. Along with my first dose of “going to Florida” abuse. I can take it. I’m sure it’s born of envy. Yeah, that’s the ticket. For the aging, haven’t ridden a trail all year, single speeder their recommendation was the Bookcliffs. After a brief tour of ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ roads and 17, 17 and a half, 18, 19 and 20. I actually found the trail head. (Note to self: follow the directions in the guide book to get to the trailhead, not just to ride on the trails. I guess I should have taken J and six tenths or something.). Heaven, pure heaven.

For some reason I had thought I was going to make this a day trip, but that thought went right out of my mind as I was whimpering like a frightened puppy and descending one of those things on Zippety-whatsit. Back to the store for an accommodation recommendation. Back to driving around aimlessly instead of getting better directions or looking up addresses. Burger and beer at the Brew thing, and then read the actual guidebook and discover how to get to where I just was, and how to get to where I just rode.

Sunday I decided to ride “the big loop” from the guide book. I actually found the trail head without a single wrong turn. I rule. Or something. More heaven. Somewhere on Lion’s Loop I’m chatting to a bloke who’s doing trail maintenance, and he looks familiar. Then I see his name tag thing on his hat and find myself saying “hey – you’re Tiggerrider! I’m Ichabod! I used to post a lot on Passion back at the turn of the century” which probably ranks as one of the three weirdest things I’ve said in my life to a stranger.

Onwards around beautiful trails and amazing views. I think Troy Built was my favorite of the weekend, I suspect because by the time I got to it I’d gotten the hang of riding a bike again.

Wow. I think I’ll try to come back again before 2016. As I mentioned to the COPMOBA people in the tent, at first I was thinking how lucky you are to live here. Then I realized that’s not quite right. You guys built all this stuff. The fact is - I’m lucky that you guys live there. Thank you.

·
"I thought you were dead"
118 Posts
You're most welcome!

Getting lost here is as easy as getting lost in Salt Lake City. Fine and dandy to know you're at 500 South 300 East as long as you know where the heck the grid's center is (probably the temple huh?). Yep, I think the Mesa County road numbering & letttering system was originally set up by Mormons trying to extend their "perfect grid" beyond the Zion Curtain. FYI: Numbered roads indicate number of miles east of the Zion Curtain (Colorado-Utah Border) and letters start from some arbitrary latitude south of GJ, each letter 1-mile apart. Would road names have helped any better?

If the guys at the "visitors tent" in the Kokopelli TH parking lot didn't hit you up for a copmoba membership contribution, you're more than welcome to sign up thru the website:
www.copmoba.com

Thanks again for your support of our backyard trails!

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
Hey! I remember you! Nice to hear you finally made it over to this side of the mountains. I was out there doing trailwork, but I was way over on Rustler's, as far from Kevin as I could get ;)

You could say that you are lucky we live here, but I still think we're awfully lucky. Digging in the dirt and then riding in it, doesn't get much better. The kids in the sandbox have it figured out.

My condolences on the FL move...

·
No relation
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
barnstormer said:
You're most welcome!
Thanks again for your support of our backyard trails!
In fact I liked the street naming system, and would have remained lost way past the point of amusement if the streets were named after famous Fruita things, or parts of the body or something. "Left on Tater, hang a right on Spleen, then it's a straight shot up Chet till you get past Areola..."
I did sign up for copmoba, got my sticker, will be receiving haunting emails while in the swamps. Seemed like the least I could do.

·
No relation
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
screampint said:
Hey! I remember you! Nice to hear you finally made it over to this side of the mountains. I was out there doing trailwork, but I was way over on Rustler's, as far from Kevin as I could get ;)

You could say that you are lucky we live here, but I still think we're awfully lucky. Digging in the dirt and then riding in it, doesn't get much better. The kids in the sandbox have it figured out.

My condolences on the FL move...
I barely remember me some days.
The FL move is temporary, much like Stalin we have a five year plan. Plus we're both trying to line up job situations that bring us back to the mountains whenever possible. Danielle seems to think she'll be coming back to CO often enough to keep the same hairdresser. My Danielle, not yours. Every home should have one.
Of course, torturing myself with Fruita right before leaving may not be wise.
I thought about doing Rustler's as a warm-up, but then decided warming up is for people who don't want excruciating pain in their limbs right from the get go. Maybe my weirdo introduction would have been to you.
Next time look for the flatlander complaining about how to breathe at altitude...

·
Registered
419 Posts
You had a great weekend for P FFTF

Glad you had drop by and said Are you Tiggerider. After you rode off I was looking around for something I was wearing that had a Tigger. But nothing to be found. We had a good laugh ( oh sorry about you heading to FL. )
But I hope your plans work and you can return again to the moutains.
Thanks for your support were hopinng to get enough money for a trailer to store all the tools we have instead of at my home.

·
"I thought you were dead"
118 Posts
yo tiggerider.... we have the ok to find + buy a trailer so we don't have to crawl around under your house (tripping over sewer pipes) in/out of the tool stash.

If there are any corporate people out there reading this thread whom have some spare change (in the tune of $500 or more), we encourage you to donote to our tool trailer project. We'll be more than happy to buy and paste your logo on the sides along with the COPMOBA logo. I believe REI and a couple other local sponsors are currently on the list.

We are currently interested in a 10' to 12' white Wells Cargo-style trailer, which should have plenty of room for corporate sponsor logos. We currently (appear to) have enough funding to buy a good used trailer, tho we will need additional funding for maintenance, insurance, storage(?), tool racks, etc.

For more information, pm myself or tiggerider, or visit www.copmoba.com - articles.

If J.D. is lurking on this thread.... no, no bumper stickers for $5 donations will be attached!

Thanks again to Ichabod for your support!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.